PDA

View Full Version : Dell Has a New Line-up of their windows PCs and ubuntu PCs!

user1397
June 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&%7Eck=mn)
that's the new link, apparently dell.com/open isn't working too well

Kzap333
June 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&%7Eck=mn)

that's the new link, apparently dell.com/open doesn't work too well

Do you have a link to the UK one.
I tried http://www.dell.co.uk/open .

Kzap333
June 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Do you have a link to the UK one.
I tried http://www.dell.co.uk/open .

I think it is this but I can't find a buy section http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/alliances/en/linux?c=uk&cs=ukgent1&l=en&s=gen
I don't need to know now but it is a nice thing to know.

jiminycricket
June 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Very interesting! Thanks for posting. The new laptop looks very sweet.

I guess it's a good sign if they're increasing the lineup of Ubuntu PCs?

Zzl1xndd
June 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
still no Ubuntu PC's for Canada :(

jgrabham
June 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I think it is this but I can't find a buy section http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/alliances/en/linux?c=uk&cs=ukgent1&l=en&s=gen
I don't need to know now but it is a nice thing to know.

I don't think we can get them yet, I think we're supposed to be able to get them at the end of the year (correct me if I'm wrong)

samschoice
June 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I want an all-white notebook with Ubuntu installed. Is that too much to ask? Or maybe an all black version.

stuh84
June 26th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Samschoice:

http://www.system76.com

They not take your fancy?

Rydel
June 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Notice the new desktop is just $279 when configured without a monitor. Not bad at all.

samschoice
June 26th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Samschoice:

Wooooohooo! I was just coming in here to find System76 and ask about it. I heard about it on the UbuntuOs podcast, but couldn't remember what number it was 74.., 75...

thanks.

tpischke
June 26th, 2007, 08:50 PM
This is really impressive.

On the very same day that they roll out the new Inspiron, they add it to the Ubuntu lineup. This means they've been working with Ubuntu to prepare drivers in months previous, since the Feisty kernel doesn't support the Santa Rosa components out of the box. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Not only are most options there (no webcam, no wireless N not offered, only x3100 video), but the price is $50 less than a similarly equipped windows version.

I'm planning to buy this laptop, but will wait a month first to see if they offer any deals, and to hear some feedback from those who go for it right away.

rickyjones
June 26th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I think it is good to see Dell continuing to provide Ubuntu computers and even keep adding to the line. I really hope that the people who complain about them "not doing it right" won't stop Dell from continuing just the way they are.

-Richard

era86
June 26th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Has anyone had any hardware mantainence issues with Dell and Ubuntu? I am thinking of replacing my $2000 Lifebook (which has busted on me so many times) with one of these $900 machines.

notwen
June 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I don't think we can get them yet, I think we're supposed to be able to get them at the end of the year (correct me if I'm wrong)
If we're supposed to get them mid next month, then I would hope you guys have them available by the end of the year.

Pricing on the Inspiron 1420 Notebook begins at $774. Systems will be available for delivery starting in mid-July.

The base specs/price range are very much in my price range/wants. Very tempting. =]

Kzap333
June 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Samschoice:

VERY cool and do you know if they ship to the UK.

luca_linux
June 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM
VERY cool and do you know if they ship to the UK.
http://system76.com/information.php?info_id=2

We only ship to within the United States and Canada.

That's a shame... :(

Extreme Coder
June 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Sounds great! I hope this is a sign that the Ubuntu deal was going fine!

macogw
June 27th, 2007, 09:26 PM
ZaReason (zareason.com) ships to the UK, I think.

I'd really like it if Dell didn't have an open source page, and instead just put Ubuntu as an option on the "operating system" section in the "customize" page of each computer where it's offered. "Vista Home Basic [included]" "Vista Home Premium [add $50]" "Ubuntu [subtract $50]"

JC_510
June 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM
system76 do not deliver to the UK though, I emailed them a few weeks ago.

Nice to see the new Dells (even if they only come with Windows here in the UK).

user1397
June 28th, 2007, 12:25 AM
ZaReason (zareason.com) ships to the UK, I think.

I'd really like it if Dell didn't have an open source page, and instead just put Ubuntu as an option on the "operating system" section in the "customize" page of each computer where it's offered. "Vista Home Basic [included]" "Vista Home Premium [add $50]" "Ubuntu [subtract $50]"haha, yea I like that idea too...too bad it would never happen though, because of all the calls dell would get afterwards...

kuja
June 28th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Oh my oh my oh my. I'm torn. I'll be getting a laptop within the next couple months and I just don't know which I'll end up choosing ... Dell, or system 76 :\

kamaboko
June 28th, 2007, 04:27 AM
It would be nice if they ran deals on these like the do the Windows laptops. For example, they had this last month for $858!!

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium edit
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WXGA+ Display with TrueLife™ edit
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm edit
HARD DRIVE Size: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™ edit
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio edit

macogw
June 28th, 2007, 04:54 AM
haha, yea I like that idea too...too bad it would never happen though, because of all the calls dell would get afterwards...

My friend Matt said some idiot would pick Ubuntu on their first comp because it's cheaper. I told him there's no way a person can buy a Dellbuntu online without knowing if they want Windows or not. The reason is that if they are ordering online, they are using a computer. If they are using a computer, they know that the computer they are using (even if a library one) says "Microsoft" right before "Internet Explorer" (the way they are reaching Dell) and says "Windows" in the Start Menu and has that symbol on the Start Menu. If they see some word they've never heard of for cheaper, they'll probably go "what's that ubotno thing? must be crap if it costs less" which is still better than them not knowing it is offered at all. Have a little "what's this?" button, and then if they decide it's worth the $50 to get something new, they can. Either way though, they have to know about Windows to get to the page anyway. If they're a Mac user, they know about Windows anyway. And if they're using Windows at the time....they know about Windows. If they're ordering online, they therefore know about Windows and that "it's the one I know about." It just makes it easier for the Linux users and those who are up for trying something new ("Ubuntu Linux? hmm, I'll try that...could be fun") to find the computers since they can stumble upon them instead of having to know they're there to begin with.

Is it just me, or does the color chooser not show the laptop as that color? Actually, it flashes an image of the laptop for a moment, then it disappears and doesn't reappear at all throughout customization. Pretty sure that's not on purpose.

punux
June 28th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Notice the new desktop is just $279 when configured without a monitor. Not bad at all.

yea I noticed that too, great price.

user1397
June 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
My friend Matt said some idiot would pick Ubuntu on their first comp because it's cheaper. I told him there's no way a person can buy a Dellbuntu online without knowing if they want Windows or not. The reason is that if they are ordering online, they are using a computer. If they are using a computer, they know that the computer they are using (even if a library one) says "Microsoft" right before "Internet Explorer" (the way they are reaching Dell) and says "Windows" in the Start Menu and has that symbol on the Start Menu. If they see some word they've never heard of for cheaper, they'll probably go "what's that ubotno thing? must be crap if it costs less" which is still better than them not knowing it is offered at all. Have a little "what's this?" button, and then if they decide it's worth the $50 to get something new, they can. Either way though, they have to know about Windows to get to the page anyway. If they're a Mac user, they know about Windows anyway. And if they're using Windows at the time....they know about Windows. If they're ordering online, they therefore know about Windows and that "it's the one I know about." It just makes it easier for the Linux users and those who are up for trying something new ("Ubuntu Linux? hmm, I'll try that...could be fun") to find the computers since they can stumble upon them instead of having to know they're there to begin with.

Is it just me, or does the color chooser not show the laptop as that color? Actually, it flashes an image of the laptop for a moment, then it disappears and doesn't reappear at all throughout customization. Pretty sure that's not on purpose.hmm, I disagree. Many, many windows users KNOW they're using windows, and probably would take the time to read an ubuntu warning, but there are COUNTLESS people that are so ignorant, that they would just go "o look, $50 less, skip the warning, and end up with something not familiar to them at all, and they would complain to dell. I am quite confident this would happen countless times, if dell put that option on their comps.

But oh well, what's the point of discussing this, if they wouldn't do it, at least not right now. The point is moot. (unless of course somebody were to post it as an ideastorm.com idea....)

Kzap333
June 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM
hmm, I disagree. Many, many windows users KNOW they're using windows, and probably would take the time to read an ubuntu warning, but there are COUNTLESS people that are so ignorant, that they would just go "o look, $50 less, skip the warning, and end up with something not familiar to them at all, and they would complain to dell. I am quite confident this would happen countless times, if dell put that option on their comps.

But oh well, what's the point of discussing this, if they wouldn't do it, at least not right now. The point is moot. (unless of course somebody were to post it as an ideastorm.com idea....)
I know someone at school who think all computers have to be Windows otherwise they are Macs. And would not think that if he was odering a computer he thinks he would get windows. Although he would not know and when he sees me load up my Laptop he keeps insiting that it is Windows Ubuntu like Windows XP of Windows Vista. It get realy anoying.
But I don't think dell should stop selling them there is no link to the Ubuntu dell page from the other pages anyway are there??? So you would have to know whta you are getting.
I think this is why companies did not start selling Linux PC's sooner as they would get a load of custmers complaning.

Zeedok
June 29th, 2007, 04:04 AM
There's no 'Ubuntu' version available on the Dell Australia page either. I'm not sure I mind though . . . I can easily install Ubuntu myself, it's the knowledge that drivers etc are available for all the little functions of a particular laptop that is most appealing.

If there are Kernel changes required for little things (eg standby or backlit media buttons etc) would these be merged into the main Ubuntu distro? Be good if they were since it is often those tiny (not strictly necessary) features that aren't often supported out of the box.