PDA

View Full Version : Are there any free of charge servers out there for storage?

odiseo77
June 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Hi people, I need a free server that can be used for storage and to allow anyone to download the stuff I put there, so I was wondering if there are any free servers in the www for these purposes (I only need about 60 mb of storage capacity; I've tried sites like megaupload, rapidshare, etc, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for).

Greetings, and thanks in advance for your answers.

michaelzap
June 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM
You might try the gmail hack system where you can use a gmail account as a remote file storage server (it's a pretty nifty trick, and it's free as in beer).

odiseo77
June 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks michaelzap, I've read something about it in several forums, but will it allow other people to download the packages I upload to gmail?? Also, can you point me to a good howto, on doing this??

Thanks in advance.

LookTJ
June 26th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks michaelzap, I've read something about it in several forums, but will it allow other people to download the packages I upload to gmail?? Also, can you point me to a good howto, on doing this??

Thanks in advance.
"but will it allow other people to download the packages I upload to gmail??" Nope

there's this firefox addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1593

michaelzap
June 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
If you want the general public to be able to download these files, then "Nope" is indeed the correct answer. But if you just want some trusted friends to download them then you could share this gmail account's login info with them and they could access the files the same way that you do. Besides the Firefox add-on, there's also software that lets you mount your gmail account as if it were a hard drive on your system.

blah blah blah
June 26th, 2007, 06:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GmailFS

odiseo77
June 26th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks people, well, I need a public server to host some stuff, so I guess gmail won't work for that (anyone could be able to enter and change my password, etc); so I might consider paying some extra money to my ISP so they give me a server with enough space to host my files.

Greetings.

Zzl1xndd
June 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM
AOL has Xdrive dont know if it will suit your needs but its worth checking out.