PDA

View Full Version : Sempron supports DDR but DDR2 mobo + What are asroks obos like with linux?

jgrabham
June 26th, 2007, 04:47 PM
The AM2 sempron apparantly has an intergrated DDR controller, but AM2 mobos all have DDR2 Ram slots!?

Also - what will this mobo be like in ubuntu? What will the on-board grphics be like with compiz/beryl?
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Socket+AM2+%28AMD%29/+Asrock+AM2NF6G-VSTA+Socket+AM2?productId=26542

helliewm
June 26th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I have a mobo like that an ASRocks with Nvidia 6100 on board graphics on my Desktop computer and its fine with the Restricted Drivers and Beryl/Compiz no issues at all.

Helen

mips
June 26th, 2007, 05:37 PM
The AM2 sempron apparantly has an intergrated DDR controller, but AM2 mobos all have DDR2 Ram slots!?

Also - what will this mobo be like in ubuntu? What will the on-board grphics be like with compiz/beryl?
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Socket+AM2+%28AMD%29/+Asrock+AM2NF6G-VSTA+Socket+AM2?productId=26542

I dunno if you are considering a Sempron but if your are DONT. Stay away from them and celerons.

jgrabham
June 26th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I dunno if you are considering a Sempron but if your are DONT. Stay away from them and celerons.

Nah, just curious,

Anyway - the specs I'm looking at -

The above mobo
Athlon x2 3600
512mb/1gb RAM
80BGB HDD - 30 GB for ubuntu partition and 50 GB for win xp partition

£120 (+p&p)

EDIT:

Just ordered this (with 512mb RAM) :]

mips
July 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
So how is your new PC doing ? Any issues/hassles etc ?

a12ctic
July 10th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Wrong, semprons are really nice chips, the celerons are garbage though. AMD processors arent cache dependant so the difference between the semprons and regular chips is minor. Intel chips however live off cache, and it makes fabing them a lot more expensive and the lower cached chips complete garbage.

igknighted
July 10th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Wrong, semprons are really nice chips, the celerons are garbage though. AMD processors arent cache dependant so the difference between the semprons and regular chips is minor. Intel chips however live off cache, and it makes fabing them a lot more expensive and the lower cached chips complete garbage.

Along these lines... which is a better chip (note: running a 32bit OS, not 64bit): 3.0ghz p4 w/ hyperthreading or a Sempron64 3300+? I am considering swapping mobo/processors with my parents because my p4 has 4 dimm slots and they have 4 512mb dimms, but their sempron's mobo only has 2 dimm slots (and I am not using more than 2 dimms). Just curious how the processors compare straight up. Mine will likely end up as a web/file server, so nothing special is needed there.