PDA

View Full Version : Accessibility Tips for A New User

BeachBoy
June 26th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Hello everyone... I've just installed Ubuntu 7.0.4 with some sighted assistance, and got Orca going. I decided to test how usable the desktop and some apps were, and found out that I'm quite limited in what I can do. I wanted to use Ubuntu as a replacement to Windows, but I'm frustrated by the lack of accessibility of the Gnome desktop. Does anyone have any tips or hints for a blind user to get the most out of Ubuntu? I noticed that tutorials are sorely lacking for blind users, and I wonder if I'll ever be able to truly ditch Windows or am I forever cursed by Microsoft. Some tips for configuring Gnome and the most commonly used apps will be greatly appreciated.

reclusivemonkey
June 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Hello everyone... I've just installed Ubuntu 7.0.4 with some sighted assistance, and got Orca going. I decided to test how usable the desktop and some apps were, and found out that I'm quite limited in what I can do. I wanted to use Ubuntu as a replacement to Windows, but I'm frustrated by the lack of accessibility of the Gnome desktop. Does anyone have any tips or hints for a blind user to get the most out of Ubuntu? I noticed that tutorials are sorely lacking for blind users, and I wonder if I'll ever be able to truly ditch Windows or am I forever cursed by Microsoft. Some tips for configuring Gnome and the most commonly used apps will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can't offer any help, but you could report your frustrations to the Gnome Accessibility Project; I am sure they would like to hear from you;

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/

The only thing I might be able to alert you to is that there is a Festival (which is a text to speech program) plugin for GAIM, which may be of some use to you.

I hope things improve for you in the future.

hopiakuta
January 22nd, 2013, 12:05 AM
Sorry I can't offer any help, but you could report your frustrations to the Gnome Accessibility Project; I am sure they would like to hear from you;

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/

The only thing I might be able to alert you to is that there is a Festival (which is a text to speech program) plugin for GAIM, which may be of some use to you.

I hope things improve for you in the future.

I would also like to improve the past; however, not likely.

microsoft access xfce xubuntu

I wish for a patch that would enable various microsoft features regarding a mouse & a keyboard, including the large arrow pointer [ & various alternative images ], left double click, double click shift, double click control, double click alternate,.......

I had really liked googledesktop for a few years; I am inept @ getting docfetcher to do literally anything.

There are many functions that I want to regain.

Thank You,

DonFphrnqTaub Persina

overdrank
January 22nd, 2013, 12:11 AM
From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy).

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
Thread closed.