PDA

View Full Version : GuitarHero Lessons?

@trophy
June 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
So, I was having a blast the other day butchering some GnR on Guitar Hero II, and thought "You know what would be really freaking awesome? If someone made some sort of device that you could plug into your computer, and plug your guitar into that, and have real guitar lessons in this format." Such a thing exists at our local music store, but it's $500. Rediculous.

So I got to thinking... if the guitar was plugged directly into the mic jack on your computer (possibly with a small amp inbetween) would it be possible to come up with a software-only solution? Could a program monitor the mic and tell whether or not you were playing the right note? If so, we must do this at once!!!

blah blah blah
June 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'd imagine that it would.

@trophy
June 25th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'd imagine that it would.

<mr.Burns>Excellent...</mr.Burns>

blah blah blah
June 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Actually, How much amps does a guitar by itself output?

@trophy
June 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Actually, How much amps does a guitar by itself output?

Not very much... it's roughly comparable to a smurf fart.

blah blah blah
June 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Not very much... it's roughly comparable to a smurf fart.

Oh, so it wouldn't blow the mic. So are you going to program this or are you going to try to get someone else to?

@trophy
June 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Oh, so it wouldn't blow the mic. So are you going to program this or are you going to try to get someone else to?

Let's go with if someone else wants to I'd be happier. I have plenty on my plate already. I just think it's an idea that probably needs to be done. But if nobody wants to do it I'll put it on my list of stuff that I'll probably never get to... lol.

%hMa@?b<C
June 26th, 2007, 12:25 AM
there are some guitar tuner softwares, I used one until I bought a Korg tuner. I am sure that I or someone else could hack one up if there is an open source one.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Sir, that idea is excellent. A productive music game... Who'd have thought? :P

I'm not looking for any ideas to build right now (must resist the urge to burden myself with more tasks!), but I too have seen some tuning tools bouncing around.
A generic music learning / practicing / playing game sort of thing with real instruments would be a fantastic thing to be able to say that Linux has good "games", and rather a first. (Thinking it could be adaptable for any kind of musical input using a microphone, with guitars being the least likely to screw up but others being quite possible... networking springs to mind, bringing back a sudden memory of an idea I had a while back for a web service connecting aspiring musicians in a way oriented towards putting together music by contributing "chunks", gradually building them on to a final product; not in real time, but gradually with high quality audio samples communicated via said web service).

%hMa@?b<C
June 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Sir, that idea is excellent. A productive music game... Who'd have thought? :P

I'm not looking for any ideas to build right now (must resist the urge to burden myself with more tasks!), but I too have seen some tuning tools bouncing around.
A generic music learning / practicing / playing game sort of thing with real instruments would be a fantastic thing to be able to say that Linux has good "games", and rather a first. (Thinking it could be adaptable for any kind of musical input using a microphone, with guitars being the least likely to screw up but others being quite possible... networking springs to mind, bringing back a sudden memory of an idea I had a while back for a web service connecting aspiring musicians in a way oriented towards putting together music by contributing "chunks", gradually building them on to a final product).

like an IM chat but with guitars? Seems like an easy enough thing to add as a plugin for Kopete!

@trophy
June 26th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Does anyone have any opinions about what the interface should be? The way I see it we have two choices: sheet music and/or tabs with a line representing the current time, or a flying fretboard the way the real Guitar Hero does it, but with numbers in the circles to indicate what fret to play. An example of the latter is attatched.

What do other guitarists think about that idea, though? Would it be too hard to keep track of the numbers on the frets as they speed towards you?