PDA

View Full Version : YESSSS!!! I fixed suspend and hibernate on my laptop!!! CMON!!

mthakur2006
June 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I have done it!! And I have tested it thoroughly as well!!! I have tested suspend 8 times and hibernate 1 time and recorded one failure in suspend, where the keyboard died for some reason. But it normally works. Here's how I did it:

See my sig for laptop specs. I switched it on at 7:30 AM today and left it switched on for the whole day and then after a uptime of 9 hrs and 48 minutes (by far the longest for me on a laptop), I tried suspend. And voila! it worked.

I tried this five times and it worked perfectly five out of five. Then I rebooted. And tested again.
The first two went smoothly: first the wireless turns off, then the fans (if running), then the hard drive clicks off and then the power light goes off, comes on, goes off, comes on......:D:D:D:D

Disaster struck on the third one. Well, sort of anyway. The screen went blank, but on moving my mouse, it came back but I couldn't type my password to get back to my session. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Bkspace: nothing; but Alt + PrtScrn + b worked!

On the reboot, I checked hibernate once, and it worked. I didn't bother checking it anymore because I rarely (yes, rarely, like once in an age) use it.

And now the icing on the cake: I have beryl running (see attached screenshot) and it resumes perfectly. Even the CPU Frequency Scaling Daemon remembers the frequency well.

God it's awesome!
:KS:KS:KS:KS:
Mrinal

matthew
June 25th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Sweet! Congratulations. :)

H.E. Pennypacker
June 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM
You didn't explain how you got it to work. Did it work for apparently no reason? Can you please test hibernate a few more times?

What operating system are you using? It looks like OSX, but I don't understand why you'd post something about OSX on a Ubuntu forum. Also, you can't use OSX (not normally) on a PC. So, it must be Ubuntu, but if it is Ubuntu, it is heavily modified, even the browser. The browser is the most peculiar aspect. Is it Epiphany?

mthakur2006
June 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
You didn't explain how you got it to work. Did it work for apparently no reason? Can you please test hibernate a few more times?

What operating system are you using? It looks like OSX, but I don't understand why you'd post something about OSX on a Ubuntu forum. Also, you can't use OSX (not normally) on a PC. So, it must be Ubuntu, but if it is Ubuntu, it is heavily modified, even the browser. The browser is the most peculiar aspect. Is it Epiphany?

yes. u got me there ;) yes, the suspend worked for some not-so-apparent reason :S
i will test hibernate a few more times for ya and report back but i see no reason why it shoudn't work but then again, that was the way it was :popcorn:

mthakur2006
June 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Sweet! Congratulations. :)

cheers matthew :KS:KS

H.E. Pennypacker
June 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
yes. u got me there ;) yes, the suspend worked for some not-so-apparent reason :S
i will test hibernate a few more times for ya and report back but i see no reason why it shoudn't work but then again, that was the way it was :popcorn:

Which browser are you using, and which guide did you follow for all the changes you made to Ubuntu?

mthakur2006
June 25th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Which browser are you using, and which guide did you follow for all the changes you made to Ubuntu?

the browser is epiphany-browser and the guide can be found at http://www.taimila.com/osx-guide-2.php

mthakur2006
June 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yh Hibernate works perfectly, have tested it twice again :)

olejorgen
June 25th, 2007, 10:12 PM
How did you move the menu line to the top? (it's gnome, right?)

mthakur2006
June 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM
How did you move the menu line to the top? (it's gnome, right?)

try this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=241868

PartisanEntity
June 26th, 2007, 09:41 AM
One day I am going to have to sit down and make the effort to see if there is a fix for Asus laptops, hibernate works, but suspend doesn't, I get a blank screen.

Congrats on fixing it :)

beercz
June 26th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I recently got my laptop to suspend/hibernate and allow CPU scaling - and have not shut down my laptop since - just hibernated.

My uptime is around 6 days :-)

I use my laptop on battery sometimes and it makes a hell of a difference!!!

Polygon
June 26th, 2007, 10:29 AM
luckily my computer plays nice with suspend/hibernate, once a bug with alsa gets fixed, so that it doesnt die after i resume, then ill be happy.

Paul820
June 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Suspend and hibrnate both work on my laptop, always have. I have an Acer Aspire 5100. The only things i don't have working yet ( because i'm in no rush ) is the builtin webcam, and the SD card reader, i have a USB cable for my camera so that's no trouble. Everything else just worked, guess i'm one of the lucky ones. Anyway congrats on getting it to work :popcorn:

Gargamella
June 26th, 2007, 11:32 AM
they always both worked in my laptop that is the same as yours, anyway congrats ;D

mthakur2006
June 26th, 2007, 11:41 AM
One day I am going to have to sit down and make the effort to see if there is a fix for Asus laptops, hibernate works, but suspend doesn't, I get a blank screen.

Congrats on fixing it :)

Suspend and hibrnate both work on my laptop, always have. I have an Acer Aspire 5100. The only things i don't have working yet ( because i'm in no rush ) is the builtin webcam, and the SD card reader, i have a USB cable for my camera so that's no trouble. Everything else just worked, guess i'm one of the lucky ones. Anyway congrats on getting it to work :popcorn:

they always both worked in my laptop that is the same as yours, anyway congrats ;D

thank you :)