PDA

View Full Version : XP Made with Pirated software!!

thelocust
June 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I was Stumbling and found this at UrbanDictionary.com (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Deepz0ne). It says that the .wav files for the little XP tour thingy were made with a cracked version of Sound Forge. So I fired VMware to check it out because it just sounded to good to be true. And lo and behold Microsoft are some pirating MoFo's.

matthinckley
June 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
wow this is old.. does anyone know what MS response was to this?

fuscia
June 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM
wow this is old.. does anyone know what MS response was to this?

they probably sued sound forge for anticipation.

igknighted
June 25th, 2007, 06:34 PM

haha... I am curious, and very surprised I haven't heard of this before... I am guessing there was some under the table settlement to keep things quiet?

eentonig

:D

That's their new improvement to the patent thing. Saves them the hassle to patent idea's themselves. Now they can just wait for someone else to invent *anything* and take credit and $ for it.

matthinckley
lol

salsafyren
June 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I was Stumbling and found this at UrbanDictionary.com (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Deepz0ne). It says that the .wav files for the little XP tour thingy were made with a cracked version of Sound Forge. So I fired VMware to check it out because it just sounded to good to be true. And lo and behold Microsoft are some pirating MoFo's.

How do you know that?

I am curios to how you detected that they used Sound Forge and even a pirated one.

juxtaposed
June 25th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I remember this being posted awhile ago, like 2005 or something :P

Anthem
June 25th, 2007, 07:58 PM
How do you know that?

I am curios to how you detected that they used Sound Forge and even a pirated one.
Open the .wav files in a text editor, and you'll get a lot of gibberish but also text that says "Sound Forge Version XXX" and a serial number. The serial number is a known and published crack.

There's actually several stories about this and other stuff like it. It's well documented. Google is your friend.

forrestcupp
June 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
If we are honest and not just anti-Microsoft about this, it's reasonable that Microsoft outsourced that, and that it wasn't actually done in-house. It's probably the same type of scenario as the image on ubuntu.com that was made with the non-free Adobe Photoshop.

ComplexNumber
June 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM
very old news :)

H.E. Pennypacker
June 25th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I've never heard of this story, but check this out:

http://www.pcwelt.de/index.cfm?pid=1743&pk=104830&p=1

samschoice
June 25th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Simply amazing. Will someone please examine the contents of Vista .wav's ?
BTW I tried to check out the Ubuntu forums logo using gEDIT, but it wouldn't let me open it and read what software was used to create it... but I hope it was open source.

mips
June 25th, 2007, 10:03 PM
And then there is the other oldie about them using the BSD tcp/ip stack which was true but probably not anymore.

PatrickMay16
June 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM
BTW I tried to check out the Ubuntu forums logo using gEDIT, but it wouldn't let me open it and read what software was used to create it... but I hope it was open source.

Sorry to disappoint you... but I just checked the forum logo, and it too was made with Adobe ImageReady.

ElemonGW
July 11th, 2007, 01:43 PM
lol even if that happened 3 years ago I wasn't concerned about it. And I thought I have heard it all.... but M$ using pirated software.... lol... it seems they don't have enough money...... it would be really interesting to know which was M$ 's response to that (probably nothing IMO, excpet of the fact that they probably fired all the members of the team that created WMP :P :P :P )

FoolsGold_MKII
July 11th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Sorry to disappoint you... but I just checked the forum logo, and it too was made with Adobe ImageReady.
I remember that thread. I can't remember whether the thread's general consensus was to give a damn or not.

Don't remember hearing this thing about the wav files though, even if it was old. That's the problem with outsourcing things though - you have no control over the results.

ElemonGW
July 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Just out of curiosity... How you found that :) :) :)

stepan2
July 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
when you look at the ubuntu forums logo , you see the following
?PNG

IHDR ? 7 ? B8 gAMA ???OX2 tEXtSoftware Adobe ImageReadyq?e< ?IDATx??] P??{f`x /?`???????&1?q?hL?emL]?J???J????d???#QW"??b?^????"??8?00???t?????????.????s?>?;????0,???48?pU???b??O???x?L??yf?21?=nx
i??}?>/?V??????????Q"??+G???eK?
?Bh????:?n?(?l??4?l?t????????X???
p'?scwl?RT{?bK?WV???????????????mL??SwkA??]h??^??>C ?yH??&W??/#?D?? ???Q?????8?X??j.2e??f>T]
@?????em3?z????f???C?^???Y??r??N Z? Ce S?c5??J??GX?,(Z??????^.?? ??z?e? 8??'UA????
[<!f?J ???????XW?.?^_VVV]]?????Z?_C???vC4?\
s?r??2?}
??`A??Q???W??c???\???())Y?h???SSS322?)7 {??]?j???0?}???????al???p???f?CJ|? ?K????)g};??a?k??(??ds?
Sm??z??s?}??|<?rk
???????????(aK??~??Gk????????z?????????9WM ';?????j?fr?~?,? |???yqfL?????>dm:??92+????7o????~677?b?+//??o???;::?l?r????g?F?b?r?q?o??L~???????P??vN ?7?;?{q????/K???%i??v?e9?m???Pz?V@k?#???Z?N'\B??????.?q? *?A????G8Qv??Q??b?"??3a?
??J?c? ?qP???7?ASwjA?Bb?Bjv3?n?,q
?%??5??\<?Z???qs]2??4??K????\/?????z3??B??6?uP??zg 4???K???8? ?&
??H???n]???A??7??D????>'???!t???$R?T??????zP???s? ?
r?1U???M??'?O`?%1^?Nu?IP?'?????????p?2??F??.? ?
? 9???-?q??'NSw??????E\uU'?:e???????_?3X?L??,?Yi$N ??X?w??p???^G?X?l2K??%*?.\?????3?PM??Bo?n/ ???E?Ub?G???^pJ??N??N?$???w??(????v?S?7KJJ?= ?'?'O;v??j---g???????~??????4?V?O?>}??-~VF???.tB?/TCS?N?0a??m ?V?????s????? ?????<?HC? IJJ>|???.\(++????K?w??t???sM?4????P]]}???w??L?2????????

??g?y??]`{?? ?8??<??v;???????Lj5?_??W?}K?.??v`?? ??@bS?T'N?2..:??m?6?p?_???Z\\lk?G? 6n?(,?i?Y YY&??QG?/_?t??I),}??N???.^?XT? K{??AWW?^d $$?]??` ???????~?V!33??S?~?V
? ??g?j0??f???Wu?V ),x?5?}'???L?pX??m??*?????V???_p??5?;?^Rt ??XKd {?XB&Ek"n?6E ?PWWg;2@iFQ?!FO?p?
?-U?'??????;?V?LT??F F?Q?V$?V
?FC??~?h?O^????D-??B?W/??????w??w?????????????O??je%????b???
????O{di?]k?????JPJ!?(r?Y?? ?'????l??R?P!?j?73???b.?'@?&??:PtIl;AU? 6?????O?????8\?o(?MV?M??0B!}?,??????fa???????? ?{?????\&??Y[??D&?F
?x?o???'?PR?????077--??/Z?????ajj????m/?d?\.?????L??qP?Tx?Q0???]E?^?7??Y 9???'????k??z???j??,??H ??o?c ???+q?Y?????n?9r??o???SOOO?Gs?P?a???3 gNXX?F?A[??y?7oe2?q?w??5k???J?JOOG/G??
>S?^l??9? ?o%?u~?/???d?v??l1?$6????????B-??'?<?[!D?"??????*#??`?
[?o????[?n?:??c???~??7?tZ????\}???=?Y4???c? UJ){?d@"} ?2??O'??vYc+?@?f5D?!F?c????~??? ??Q?0V?j?3m#>???? ?pm?J???b?hR??l@??<x? &???W?^-?7???h666?
?\?" 7???#?V;??R?A?a???

-?j????^!S?'?????I???|?$????????????OFN ?b????>???e?8???????????b?]?6xlP?ull,?8??Q??r???l2K??6?
Z?-hu%?????c?7?-z.????$?OT?/?OH@5t??!4????D/%''?????AJkAO ?+aItt?h?5<<\???n???&O?v?!l??L?jY???{?F???l?]g??8?
A[ yUd@3 ^BTTN??'z?????!e#??lDo???g?
y? ^?? ???(??B?o? ??P?q?9 @?V9???:???|????Q??m???\??????^?? %*$??? j?? ?R?d?X$f7?[??v L??????%??HC??v!??????F????+?j?? m?$*?o2??3w?^R&%???H??E?
????DG;5y?y???X?(???
???>C?>???e?\ri?
??1]??e$??t??xh???_K?L? mDt1\??h9?l??i(??KQ??(??D%?MVG??}???p??GM5p$ ???`;??m2????Pz????H???Y?? ^(????CdIa?c?hX?
?e ???#:???DB5?;?????.????t
???.?J???jQ?(\?8??"?;?5*//??`;O<?ehS,Q?~?*++k?? K11??2K??JSj??Z????f? ?0W1t?_?a?QX???????c??
??s?+??$?????k??????yy??25?s?R?

N??E%%%?`????,*!Rq
E{,..????)?-S,eggKa)66?;w?:?(88??v????yog??v??z?-mY?L?? ??? ??@{?S?? ??5??`E??{?<??dC?J??&$?+'?{???"G???3???Rx(??????/V?0???'??w-)?:D??k?.????$G?T????^A ?)???}?(?}??gT??=??cC?????? m??q??a_,z?????/?r??PxO?$q?n??81??SPP0{???K??5
M??~? '?RO?O?o
????jb;+W??y3??r??? &.?Y?fQ?<???8+NX?v<H?4u??,?PB?9s??@?TSS??B`?G??6m?S??Ke?5yyy?-Z???;r?%?.\???9?J[??D??.*?,<?C?

?^%zYX?v?;?% 5ii$?P2??C?y?%6Q??@K_$??jf?????s/^??Iy<9?D j?s??S???N??=G# l[???lIT?>??O?`??????????<9??A?=??z??8[?N?t?=N'?>?5?P??z??[???>n?
^[[[?a??g???r??
5Nh?MMM??
?J?\A8???a?j?2?Y?<hD3?i???*e?:"??3??)?N??rV??!?8?B???RS???W_UL??X(?P?Q)??R_?? ?LQ?q???t??w?-????Ce;??#?P?R?B????????p?{ /d??xZ?~?P-????E?tX?"j????V????????m???????)A'?z??W?<?w?sl] ??v??\?kG? 2P?#t?4?K?!?x???h????
????,9??XB~???XQh!???$????s??&?????L?_'D??:??^????6?A???/;??hH_??T?J?? #???TSc?k4T??P?s+???o?\???? O???F?E??lGS?87?eiiiCC?>?>d???????)x?}???H?%4???t?????| ?????,N|??wc/h?/Z????Z???8J?h6~??#F???d?????????o?a?o??v????{ ?z??n"(?s??x??wu?????no????s??M?F@???h(,46??M?e??$ ?d
??????]?~l,I|?Fj?A?c".????%9{~?T~??E????o???U[??? ?H?<R???/???i??`'?|?#??,Q???wj*?E??????-M?~o.?s??B???{ae??>F?+??o??e???+VH?oLl?????'?x?g????????Bx????? H
+??v?9??????C"?|??
?^?t?|????P???/A?[??J?
[!?D-"i?? ???z???)[H+?Q??? ????o??\%x?]???/?<R??O??oUj???RS??
Z??%?}??<????Prv.???_???V?bGT??z??????~x?????????i?i?? 2??o2?EM.R3t?g??????|???d]?M????[tP???XH? ?&i?j?^9R%=V???F^?? ?@.W&?y&?????_.5???\??if?z???x)??S?I???'??R????? ????
? ?>??? 2???g?8????LFK;Ic??2%'??
_n?????-???j"??'???8?DL9OO<???k8?E?X??>t('??S???}*?M?Pj??_
H?|?|?M`?`l??????*??5??}?&?IQ?????A????8FF???w`b???DkIX????v?&`l#Di<?k ?T?(?vn???"?q&?EV???r??nx??M???` }UB??3?? IEND?B`?

hidey
July 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
No wonder they used the confusion smiley so much.

FoolsGold_MKII
July 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
But hey, there is a hidden big-grin smile to make us happy again.

stepan2
July 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
lol , good think it is at the top.

ElemonGW
July 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
when you look at the ubuntu forums logo , you see the following [..]

I meant with which software you opened it, as gedit can't do so.
EDIT: Tried to open it with kedit and it successfully opened, it seams that kedit is more powerful!