PDA

View Full Version : Good webdesign forums?

PartisanEntity
June 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Anyone know of any good webdesign forums? Google turns up so many I have no idea which ones are considered to be good or which ones have a well known reputation.

Thanks.

ThinkBuntu
June 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Do you need help with actual visual and UI design, or with code (CSS, etc.) and layouts? Or with understanding things like standards and semantic markup?

PartisanEntity
June 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I need some help with CSS code.

ThinkBuntu
June 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I need some help with CSS code.
PM me. 90% of my job is CSS. Or, post your questions here.

PartisanEntity
June 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks very much, I am uploading the files to my server so I can show you a live example.

igknighted
June 25th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Think... I have actually recently been tasked with rebuilding my company's website (I work at a small factory/machine shop so it is certainly manageable... and while I could hold my own in HTML which I learned in HS I am learning CSS for the first time. I have a pretty good book (CSS: The Missing Manual) and am doing ok... but aside from PMing you do you have any recommended online resources? And if you don't mind, I probably will PM you a few times in the coming weeks :).

PS... any insight into why browsers refuse to handle CSS code properly? I feel like Opera and Safari do the best, but even FF does some god awful things to some of the neater things CSS can do (nested menus for example, and projection media as I mentioned in the Opera thread I started this afternoon)

PartisanEntity
June 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Sent you a PM ThinkBuntu

ThinkBuntu
June 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Think... I have actually recently been tasked with rebuilding my company's website (I work at a small factory/machine shop so it is certainly manageable... and while I could hold my own in HTML which I learned in HS I am learning CSS for the first time. I have a pretty good book (CSS: The Missing Manual) and am doing ok... but aside from PMing you do you have any recommended online resources? And if you don't mind, I probably will PM you a few times in the coming weeks :).

PS... any insight into why browsers refuse to handle CSS code properly? I feel like Opera and Safari do the best, but even FF does some god awful things to some of the neater things CSS can do (nested menus for example, and projection media as I mentioned in the Opera thread I started this afternoon)
For learning the basics, I recommend WebMonkey and any CSS books from your local bookstore. You can probaby find some good stuff at the library too. W3C schools has some so-so resources, and I've heard good things about alternative learning sites like HTMLDog. For more advanced stuff, I recommend advanced CSS books and A List Apart (www.alistapart.com). And of course, Google's great for those tricky layout problems IE6 and 7 throw at you.

IE6 hardly makes an effort to get it right. From the box model, to the three-pixel jog, to float bugs, the list goes on and on. IE6 has robbed me of countless hours of my life! IE7 is much closer, but with complicated layouts, I've found some minor bugs, such as a two-pixel vertical jog. Firefox and Safari are pretty much dead-on, whereas Konqueror's default styles tend to make layout awkward (with font sizes, mainly). Opera does a good job too, and I've only had to tweak a couple drop-downs to adapt to Opera. Again, besides Microsoft's monsters, cross-browser compatibility is an afterthought. Much of MS woes are due to the rapid development of proprietary markup during the browser wars. Many CSS mods came from Netscape, and a few from IE, and the result is a world of conflict that Firefox Devs never had to deal with. Now, with all this over, once IE6 dies out, HTML and CSS rules will almost certainly be decided arbitrarily by the W3C or WhatWG.

I think the next frontier for a mini browser war is Ajax, specifically with the XmlHttpRequest module. Safari, Firefox, and IE all treat it differently.

ThinkBuntu
June 25th, 2007, 06:54 PM
As for books, I swear by the Visual Quickstart and Quickpro guides to DHTML/CSS or just plain CSS for people picking up the trade. O'Reilly's works, except for the CSS pocket reference, are very hard to get your hands around unless you're coming from a programmer's perspective, and even then they're hard to ge through. Sitepoint also has some good books on the subject.