PDA

View Full Version : Best spyware scanner?

tcpip4lyfe
June 25th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Im working on a windows box tonight and its owner has no spyware scanner. I haven't used windows for about a year. Spybot used to be the scanner of choice. Anyone have any recommendations?

goumples
June 25th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Ad-aware SE personal or AVG Free Anti-Spyware. You might also consider Spyware Blaster, for some real time protection while browsing the net. In any case I'd recommend at least 2 spyware programs at minimum.. seems whenever I scan with two different apps, they both find different stuff.

RAV TUX
June 25th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Im working on a windows box tonight and its owner has no spyware scanner. I haven't used windows for about a year. Spybot used to be the scanner of choice. Anyone have any recommendations?

Just reinstall the OS.

tcpip4lyfe
June 25th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks. Ad-aware seems to be doing the job. Im glad Im only using this comp for 1 night. I dont miss windows at all. :)

leftyfb
June 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Adaware
Spybot - Search and Destroy
x-cleaner (try to find xcleaner_setup.exe)
Avast Antivirus
L2mfix
cwshredder
TrendMicro sysclean
McAfee AVERT Stinger
HijackThis

I clean Windows pc's for a living. Anything these few can't find need either dedicated software to remove it or needs to be removed manually. BHOcop is a also good util to find IE spyware.

Motoxrdude
June 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Yeah, this is what i have running on my windows pc.
Spybot SD
Adware SE
AVG Anti-Spyware (formerly known as ewido)
Spyware blaster (Prevents future spyware from getting on your computer)

macogw
June 25th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Mix Soybot S&D and AdAware SE. What they cover overlaps a bit, but you need both to fill in each one's gaps. Then add AVG Free Anti-virus and run AVG's free rootkit detector just to be safe. Finally, install CCleaner and clean up the registry and junk (big speed boost).

bigken
June 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Adaware
Spybot - Search and Destroy
x-cleaner (try to find xcleaner_setup.exe)
Avast Antivirus
L2mfix
cwshredder
TrendMicro sysclean
McAfee AVERT Stinger
HijackThis

I clean Windows pc's for a living. Anything these few can't find need either dedicated software to remove it or needs to be removed manually. BHOcop is a also good util to find IE spyware.

I also do this for a living and nine time times out ten its easier and quicker to backup the data and do a full system restore Im looking at five work stations now lol its gonna be a long day :(

macogw
June 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I also do this for a living and nine time times out ten its easier and quicker to backup the data and do a full system restore Im looking at five work stations now lol its gonna be a long day :(

Lazy. Then you lose all your installed apps and settings. Even if documents are backed up, I consider that a destructive means to fix the computer. It means I then would have to spend who knows how many hours redownloading software, reinstalling software, and if I have any for-pay downloaded software, I then have to fight with the company to believe me that I really did get a reinstall, not a second computer, and that I'm not trying to use it in two comps or put it on my friends' computers or whatever else they become suspicious of when you're not re-paying for what you already bought.

bigken
June 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Lazy. Then you lose all your installed apps and settings. Even if documents are backed up, I consider that a destructive means to fix the computer. It means I then would have to spend who knows how many hours redownloading software, reinstalling software, and if I have any for-pay downloaded software, I then have to fight with the company to believe me that I really did get a reinstall, not a second computer, and that I'm not trying to use it in two comps or put it on my friends' computers or whatever else they become suspicious of when you're not re-paying for what you already bought.

belive me when you get a machine in thats 5 years plus old with 4 users its a bloody nightmare

and as far as redownloading software the software and activation codes should be backed up a soon as they pay for them not my problem

Spr0k3t
June 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM

I love situations like that. I walked away from an office building one time $2000 richer for doing a network sweep and remote registry hacking with the help of sysinternals. It was a great day indeed.

Wrote a script that deployed anti-spyware across 15 computer systems and remote activated their command line equivs. While those systems churned away I helped them get epo installed on their network server and ran the drop to all systems in the registered network to install on reboot. Took me 4 hours to do it... so if you have the right tools... jobs like that are easy.

bigken
June 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I love situations like that. I walked away from an office building one time $2000 richer for doing a network sweep and remote registry hacking with the help of sysinternals. It was a great day indeed.

Wrote a script that deployed anti-spyware across 15 computer systems and remote activated their command line equivs. While those systems churned away I helped them get epo installed on their network server and ran the drop to all systems in the registered network to install on reboot. Took me 4 hours to do it... so if you have the right tools... jobs like that are easy.

give me the tool please ](*,)