PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Epiphany

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I just installed Epiphany 1) because I wanted to see what it was like and 2) because I was getting tired of Flash freezing Firefox. (Hopefully it won't freeze Epiphany)
Well first I accidentally install Epiphany the game. Lol. I was wondering why it wasn't showing up even after killing gnome-panel. So I finally got it install and Wow! It's way faster than Firefox. Although I still do miss the extensions in Firefox and the spell check:( But Epiphany does have a nice Ad Blocker in it:)
Anyone else have a good experience with Epiphany?

gnomeuser
June 25th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Big Epiphany user here.. have been for years.

AlexR1
June 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I am epiphany user myself and i like it.You can also search google for more extensions then it comes with epiphany installed search for third party extensions,and i think you will miss less firefox extensions.

ynnhoj
June 25th, 2007, 02:01 AM
i love epiphany; there are a couple minor things that irk me, but i've long since adjusted.

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Eh, Flash freezes every browser on my laptop.:( I still like Epiphany though. It is faster than Firefox.
Is there any way to get links to open in new tabs instead of windows?

IYY
June 25th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Have you installed the latest flash from the adobe site? They fixed many bugs that caused freezing in the recent releases.

ticopelp
June 25th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Epiphany is fast and snappy, I like it. I just wish there was an integrated search window like in Firefox. I'm really used to just hitting ctrl-K and doing a search. Is there an extension or anything for that?

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Have you installed the latest flash from the adobe site? They fixed many bugs that caused freezing in the recent releases.

You mean the one from here? (http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash)
That's the one I'm using right now.
It's weird because it will only freeze sometimes either when I close a tab with Flash on it or hit the back button on a page with Flash on it.

tehkain
June 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Eh, Flash freezes every browser on my laptop.:( I still like Epiphany though. It is faster than Firefox.
Idk about links(I use mousebutton3) but for the smart search go into gconf editor and there is an option to make them pop up in a tab instead of a new window.

kevinlyfellow
June 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Well first I accidentally install Epiphany the game. Lol.

Yeah, epiphany the browser is great, but how was the game???

zanglang
June 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Epiphany is fast and snappy, I like it. I just wish there was an integrated search window like in Firefox. I'm really used to just hitting ctrl-K and doing a search. Is there an extension or anything for that?
Epiphany should have keyword searching from the location bar. Otherwise you could use the GNOME Deskbar ('deskbar-applet') for searching.

ButteBlues
June 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Ctrl+L, type some stuff, down arrow twice, hit enter.

That should search Google ;)

Corbelius
June 25th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Big Epiphany user here.. have been for years.

fuscia
June 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM

middle click on the link.

frodon
June 25th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I always used epiphany, it's just fast and smooth.

I still have firefox when i need some really specific stuff but i barely use it.

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2007, 04:29 PM
middle click on the link.

Ah, yes that works:)

bapoumba
June 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM
IAlthough I still do miss the extensions in Firefox and the spell check:( But Epiphany does have a nice Ad Blocker in it:)
Hello, FuturePilot :)

To enable the spell checker, set layout.spellcheckDefault to 1 in about:config.
The language for spell checking is set in spellchecker.dictionary in about:config ( “en_US” for US English, and “fr” for French. Sorry, I have not checked other languages).

Did you look about smart bookmarks?

Enter about:epiphany in the URL area, and enjoy ;-)

mostwanted
June 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Epiphany is not faster than Firefox. It uses EXACTLY the same program (Gecko, in fact it requires either Firefox or the Mozilla suite as a dependency) so you're just deluded if you think it's faster. The interface might be less heavy than Firefox, but rendering is certainly not.

ThinkBuntu
June 25th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Epiphany is not faster than Firefox. It uses EXACTLY the same program (Gecko, in fact it requires either Firefox or the Mozilla suite as a dependency) so you're just deluded if you think it's faster. The interface might be less heavy than Firefox, but rendering is certainly not.
Gecko is a rendering engine, and is reasonably quick, although a little slower than KHTML (Safari, Konqueror), and indeed is shared by Epiphany and Firefox. But there are many, many more factors contributing to a browser's speed, such as the number of features enabled, the quality of the application's code, the general level of software bloat, and how well it's integrated in the target system. Being the official GNOME browser and specifically developed for GTK, Epiphany is much faster in this respect, and overall is a very light browser with fewer options, allowing for less extensibility, but generally is featured enough and has enough Extensions installed to be quite good for everyday use.

frodon
June 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Epiphany is not faster than Firefox. It uses EXACTLY the same program (Gecko, in fact it requires either Firefox or the Mozilla suite as a dependency) so you're just deluded if you think it's faster. The interface might be less heavy than Firefox, but rendering is certainly not.Test yourself and see, it's strange that your are the only for who epiphany isn't faster than firefox, maybe you are just unlucky.
On my home computer firefox takes each time at least 2 extra seconds to load a page compared to epiphany.

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hello, FuturePilot :)

To enable the spell checker, set layout.spellcheckDefault to 1 in about:config.
The language for spell checking is set in spellchecker.dictionary in about:config ( “en_US” for US English, and “fr” for French. Sorry, I have not checked other languages).

Did you look about smart bookmarks?

Enter about:epiphany in the URL area, and enjoy ;-)
Hi bapoumba:)
Thanks for the tip. But it appears the spell check is only in the newest Epiphany in Feisty and I'm using Dapper. I'll have to check out the spell check on my Feisty box though;)

But it is faster. I've tested it out and it does render pages faster than Firefox. It's also much easier on the laptop resources;)

racoq
June 25th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Gecko is a rendering engine, and is reasonably quick, although a little slower than KHTML (Safari, Konqueror), and indeed is shared by Epiphany and Firefox. But there are many, many more factors contributing to a browser's speed, such as the number of features enabled, the quality of the application's code, the general level of software bloat, and how well it's integrated in the target system. Being the official GNOME browser and specifically developed for GTK, Epiphany is much faster in this respect, and overall is a very light browser with fewer options, allowing for less extensibility, but generally is featured enough and has enough Extensions installed to be quite good for everyday use.

it can be faster but i can assure you that it is as memory effectivee as firefox

both use basically the same memory. Both are bloated

rye_
July 11th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I hate to bump an old thread but...

epiphany is the greatest browser I've used!!!. much faster than firefox on my machine, and I think the simple user interface has a certain charm.

Ryan

tehkain
July 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I hate to bump an old thread but...

epiphany is the greatest browser I've used!!!. much faster than firefox on my machine, and I think the simple user interface has a certain charm.

Ryan

I agree 100%, the only thing that I would like is a RSS reader.

Polygon
July 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
i use it on a old 400 mhz computer that really cannot run firefox effectively.....

its fine.... but to me it kinda is like a less featured firefox, but i guess thats the point so it can run on less powerful computers.

CarpKing
July 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Also it uses your GTK theme, which makes it match the rest of the default apps.

hanzomon4
July 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM
How do you get the right click spelling suggestions?

bapoumba
July 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM
How do you get the right click spelling suggestions?
Did not know you could do that with Epiphany.

Misspelled word > right click > you can have access to GNOME dictionary. This is the only suggestions I know of.

http://blogs.gnome.org/epiphany/2007/07/10/epiphany-2195-released/