PDA

View Full Version : How is your experience getting away from Windows???

lyricmuse
July 12th, 2005, 05:57 AM
First off I should say that I am a Windows baby through and through. But, like most of us, I'm tired of dealing with all of the security problems that come with such an expensive OS. It seems like we are paying Microsoft to beta test their software.
Aside from the obvious bashing I could do here, I just want to say that linux has been a very frustrating experience until I stumbled upon Ubuntu. I have tested countless distros and have found problems in one form or another. Most of this is probably loose nut at the keyboard, but much of it is hardware support related (chipsets, video drivers, etc). Anyway, I'm curious how the transition is going for all of you other Window babies out there?!? I'm currently dual booting Windows XP Pro (for games and other things I just can't do without;)) and Ubuntu (the latest and greatest).

Enjoying my experience and enjoying the Ubuntu community.:)

DarkManX4lf
July 12th, 2005, 06:04 AM
First off I should say that I am a Windows baby through and through. But, like most of us, I'm tired of dealing with all of the security problems that come with such an expensive OS. It seems like we are paying Microsoft to beta test their software.
Aside from the obvious bashing I could do here, I just want to say that linux has been a very frustrating experience until I stumbled upon Ubuntu. I have tested countless distros and have found problems in one form or another. Most of this is probably loose nut at the keyboard, but much of it is hardware support related (chipsets, video drivers, etc). Anyway, I'm curious how the transition is going for all of you other Window babies out there?!? I'm currently dual booting Windows XP Pro (for games and other things I just can't do without;)) and Ubuntu (the latest and greatest).

Enjoying my experience and enjoying the Ubuntu community.:)

im in the same exact boat as you

matthew
July 12th, 2005, 06:08 AM
My transition has gone extremely well. I had some configuration issues early on, but those have all been sorted out. I have also been able to move about 95% of what I wo from windows to ubuntu and I anticipate that within a few more months I will have completed the move entirely.

polo_step
July 12th, 2005, 06:20 AM
]First off I should say that I am a Windows baby through and through. But, like most of us, I'm tired of dealing with all of the security problems that come with such an expensive OS. It seems like we are paying Microsoft to beta test their software.
We get to do beta testing on Linux software for free, but we have to work a lot harder. ;-) .

I just want to say that linux has been a very frustrating experience until I stumbled upon Ubuntu. I have tested countless distros and have found problems in one form or another. Most of this is probably loose nut at the keyboard, but much of it is hardware support related (chipsets, video drivers, etc). Anyway, I'm curious how the transition is going for all of you other Window babies out there?!? ]
Ubuntu works a lot better than my many previous and totally unsuccessful attempts at Linux over the past few years, but the longer it's up the more stuff I find that needs work. After the basic install, nearly everything has been much harder to get squared away than with XP. As I said before, I'd honestly say that's so far it's been literally fifty to a hundred times more hassle than XP, and I'm far from out of the woods yet in getting things working the way I had hoped they would. I have encountered a great many bugs and weirdnesses, great and small, compared to doing the same sort of stuff I was on XP.

That said, I can't even imagine going back to Windows for online use.

Now...if I could just get all this other stuff working right, I'd be in great shape.

manicka
July 12th, 2005, 06:25 AM
It's pure bliss. After chopping and changing for several years, Ubuntu has finally helped me to make the move permanent. Ubuntu is exactly what I was looking for in a Linux distro.

lyricmuse
July 12th, 2005, 06:30 AM
I agree with everyone so far. I am enjoying the experience, and at the same time very frustrated by it. I do a lot of web development and use graphic programs like Ulead and Adobe, so I have to learn GIMP. I work full time and go to school full time so you can imagine my extra learning time is limited. I agree with polo_step about the extra learning curve. I know once I get the hang of this linux thing though, I'll probably only go back to marvel at how strange Windows is;-)

System Specs
ASUS A7N8X
Athlon 2700
1 Gig DDR
GeForce 4 MX440
SB Live 5.1

DarkManX4lf
July 12th, 2005, 06:36 AM
i think ive tried a few distros (mandrake, redhate, suse, debian, gentoo, gentoox (xbox :) ) and ive always quit using them because they just didnt fit for me, but ubuntu fit perfectly, i was very very very very happy when i started to use ubuntu and within a week i decided to make the big move from windows to linux, but yes i do still have windowsxp for gaming, but i do most of my gamign on linux now (ut2004, etc.)

ssck
July 12th, 2005, 06:42 AM
i have been using windows for many years, right up till windows xp pro.i moved completely to ubuntu since may this year.i had to struggle but it has all been worth it.i am enjoying every moment of it.unlike most people, i did not try other distros.

i can do what i used to do in windows .... looking forward to breezy :)

sapo
July 12th, 2005, 06:48 AM
i m a 100% ubuntu guy.. i even trashed my windows cd and dont plan to install it again...

My work alow me to use just ubuntu (php), so.. windows is just a bad memory from the past...

and about games.. i just play ut2k4.. and.. we have it in linux :grin:

dickohead
July 12th, 2005, 07:15 AM
The first distribution I ever used was Debian, having heard so much good about it from a friend I decided I'd try it - not knowing what to expect... I screwed my entire computer. But that wasn't enough to dampen my spirit so i got hold of this wonderful distro "Lycoris" used it for about 3 weeks and realised it was ****. Then moved to mandrake, couldn't get graphics working to well so tried SuSE, i then bought SuSE 8.2 and used it for a while untill mandrake 9.1 came out. I then used mandrake untill 10.1 and downloaded SuSE 9.2. I got a 64bit laptop around the same time as the merger between Mandrake and Conectiva so decided i try that - no avail, tried Ubuntu - no avail, also tried Fedora with no avail untill I got SuSE 9.2 working.

Then while I was away on holidays at the beach (it's winter here beaches aren't much fun) I got bored and attempted to reload my laptop with Ubuntu, cos I liked the name and the philosiphy - it worked!!! And I give praise to it on my homepage *plug* http://dickinson.homelinux.net/~tim */plug*

Every time I use it for anything not only do I remember how much better than windows it is for what I do, but how much easier and more reliable it is over other Linux flavours available.

I do still use Windows, to test my PHP/MySQL, administer my server, for my studying and for games. But if I did not play games (or if WoW was available for Linux) I wouldn't need windows at all.

I currently use SuSE 8.2 on my server, and when I can be bothered it will be upgraded to Ubuntu, I also use SuSE 9.2 on my desktop which will be replaced once I get an NVidia graphics card. Linux has saved me so much money and hastle over the years, I owe many communities a great debt of gratitude, hopefully I can pay that off with Ubuntu.

Kvark
July 12th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Don't know about other distros, had no linux experience before ubuntu. But I've had a lot less problems with ubuntu then with windows.

I have installed ubuntu 2 times, windows at least 10 times (yes I'm sure it's more then 10 times, windows has messed up a lot for me over the years). And it already goes much faster for me to set up a complete ubuntu system with all programs, drivers and settings to work perfectly then the same task with a windows system.

After setting it up I'm used to having to solve problems with windows from time to time. Problems with windows and windows programs/games was very common for me. With ubuntu there is a few problems popping up too but they are very rare.

AntiDragon
July 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Joy!

I'm a IT Pro (as in my work, not as in I'm particularly good - that's not for me to judge!) and I know Windows like the back of my hand but even after filling my home PC with FOSS and free alternatives (Avast! Anti-virus is sweet Hehheh) Windows has managed to irritate me on a regular basis. Plus I've always been curious :-P .

Despite working with the same programs and systems everyday, despite never changing anything, they have always managed to come up with some completely new and undocumented problem. I then spend my days working backwards through poorly documented and designed systems trying to get them back into shape. It's finally taken it's toll - I call it Windows Fatigue and I've had enough.

My experience with Ubuntu hasn't been smooth but all the problems I've had have been so easy to resolve, despite my Windows-based habits! My home PC is now running a sweet dual-boot with Ubuntu AMD64 \\:D/ . And since I need to make room for a new Mac, I'm rebuilding an older PC with Ubuntu before donating it to my family. Gives me more Linux experience and ensures someone else gets introduced to Ubuntu!

(My official line is that I paid for the Windows license on that PC and I wanna keep it! Hehehe... :grin: )

Roll on Debian and Ubuntu!

JPatrick
July 12th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I love it 100%

Sure my printer doesn't work on it but hey.

skirkpatrick
July 12th, 2005, 06:57 PM
It's been pretty easy, actually. My family has been Windows for quite some time. Starting about 4 years ago, my new job had me programming applications for an embedded Linux system so my work laptop was dual-boot. I setup an old machine with Win2K to act as a file/print server but it crashed several times a week. I installed Redhat on it. The only time it's every off (it has a UPS) is when I've upgraded hardware due to upgrading another machine or I upgraded Redhat (it's up to RH9).

I've been a gamer for many years but I may have burnt out on it over the last year playing for a clan. After some issues with Windows re-registration, I decided to dual-boot Ubuntu. The process has been very smooth and no real problems, other than me fooling around with stuff. I found a replacement for Quicken and have loaded some Linux native games (Doom3, Enemy Territory) and have even tried a few under Cedega. The only time in the last 4 weeks I've booted back to XP was to compare framerates in Doom3 (they were equal).

I've convinced my daughter to set her machine up dual-boot (she plays Horizons and it requires IE6) about 2 days ago and so far so good. My wife would convert as well except she has one game she loves to play (Dungeon Keeper) and I even had to revert her machine back to Win98 so the game doesn't crash (but Win98 does if you leave it on more than a day or two).

I've considered not dual booting for games but I've still got to for a short period of time for one reason: I'm transferring all our old VHS home movies over to DVD and the Pinnacle capture card I bought doesn't appear to have a Linux driver. After that, I don't think I really have a reason to dual-boot except for support some other family members.

Ken.Lank
July 12th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Well, I've always wanted to get away from Windows and tried various flavors of Linux, but the biggest problem I was having at home was getting my wireless working. I would get it working and then it wouldn't after a reboot. It was so frustrating and I SO wanted to get away from Windows at home it caused me to go out and by a Powerbook G4 (which I absolutely LOVE).

I did manage to try Ubuntu and have been able to get my old laptop up and running (even the wireless). So while I don't use it as my "primary" OS (that's OSX), I have replaced my Windows with Ubuntu.

musicman2059
July 12th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I already preferred Linux over Windows way before I even installed Ubuntu just a few weeks ago; I just needed to get my hands on a good distro, and this just happened to be it.

Everything is going fine, despite a few setbacks with RAM managing issues (Apparantley 192 MB doesn't cut it) and odd keyboard behavior that happens randomly with GNOME when starting my computer up that nobody seems to know how to fix. :S

aysiu
July 12th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Everything is going fine, despite a few setbacks with RAM managing issues (Apparantley 192 MB doesn't cut it) So what was your solution? Did you upgrade your RAM or start using XFCE instead of Gnome?

musicman2059
July 12th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Well, unfortunately for me, I really don't have the money to spare for extra RAM (and another 128 and my BIOS will be at limit) and because I have no internet connection to that box, I'm in no position to be downloading another desktop environment.

Darkscot
July 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I have used Windows since the days of 3.1. I have two Pcs at home, one with Windows ME (aaaaargh!!!!!!) and one with Windows XP Home Ed. I was going to upgrade ME to XP but decided to first look again at Linux. I tried out Mandrake 8.2 about three years which I thought ok but eventually drifted back to Windows. I tried Mandriva LE2005 this time and was very impressed. I would probably still be using that if i had not read the rave review of Ubuntu in Linux Format and got a free cover disk.

Since then I have installed Ubuntu on both PCs. I use it 99% of the time instead of ME and 90% instead of XP (games and DVDs). In reality if I had to give up Windows completely it wouldnt bother me. I really only use Windows for applications I havent got around to installing on Ubuntu.

Finally I would say that although I have had 'issues' with Ubuntu I have also had them with Windows. I have had problems with XP that took days to resolve. Since upgrading to SP2 my wi-fi has never worked properly. And don't get me started on drive letters and USB key drives not being correctly mapped. Yes, you have to tweak and tune Ubuntu but you have to do the same with Windows.

arnieboy
July 12th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Since then I have installed Ubuntu on both PCs. I use it 99% of the time instead of ME and 90% instead of XP (games and DVDs).
U go back to XP for DVD's??... interesting...

primeirocrime
July 12th, 2005, 09:52 PM
great, simply great...thanks for asking eh eh

After I've cleaned the XP partition I've began distro testing, while maintaining ubuntu as the base. One of the patitions currently runs demudi/agnula [debian based] so I have music stuff on demudi and graphics/poetry/web/office on ubuntu. Life is good and humans are almost tolerable by now.

I still have to do a gentoo weekend.

NoTiG
July 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM
It only took me like a day to get stuff working (codecs, wireless etc...) on my laptop. But I have run into a couple of problems, which is why I still use windows. Actually I barely use linux, although I am going to start programming so i will use it some.

The first is that I have an ATI video card. I cant simply replace it since its a laptop. And as you know, ati drivers suck and i can't do the fancy eye candy ... although I hear xgl might be an option....

THe second is that there is no comparable program to Bearshare that I have found. I mean... i tried gtk-gnutella.... but it is VERY ugly and just doesnt compare. Even though bearshare has adware built into it... its more pleasant to use! . Finding songs and downloading them just seems faster with bearshare.

A couple of other minor gripes is that i think the fonts look ugly in linux compared to xp... even though I installed mscorefonts or something. This is probably fixable, i havnt looked into it much. ANd lasty but most importantly to me, my fav game doesnt work under linux under any circumstance... i tried crossover offic (its a shockwave game) which still does not work, and without that game i simply wont switch to linux ever!.

ubuntu_demon
July 12th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Ubuntu is great for me.I've used it since warty (windows was my primary desktop before that but I did have some prior linux/unix experience)

These are the things I need to go to windows for (rarely do) :

my scanner doesn't work (canon canoscan D646U). This is not ubuntu's fault but I blame canon for it as they haven't made linux drivers for it (not even closed source ones) see :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=19681

I can't use my webcam with gaim (but gaim-vv will make this possible in a while)

manicka
July 12th, 2005, 10:34 PM
THe second is that there is no comparable program to Bearshare that I have found. I mean... i tried gtk-gnutella.... but it is VERY ugly and just doesnt compare. Even though bearshare has adware built into it... its more pleasant to use! . Finding songs and downloading them just seems faster with bearshare.

Bearshare... ouch!!!

What about Limewire?

ubuntu_demon
July 12th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Bearshare... ouch!!!

What about Limewire?
you guys should use azureus :)

manicka
July 12th, 2005, 10:49 PM
you guys should use azureus :)
Yes, a nice alternative as well :D

sonny
July 12th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Well, if it wouldn't be for my work, I wouldn't been using Windows right now. But I'm happy to say that everything I needed to do in Linux is doable, and Ubuntu is quite good, I've tried Mandrake and Knoppix, but this is good. I built my pc, and it hasn't got windows; well just for about 15 min, but I regret it, so I deleted it.

aerials
July 13th, 2005, 09:04 PM
I have used every major Windows release since 3.1 (except millenium) but I also wanted to try something new, so I played around with Linux every once in a while. First try was SuSe, I guess 6.4 or something near. It really messed up my harddrive and I was way too confused by the huge selection of programs available for every purpose. So I went back reinstalling Windows 98 (as I did every two months these times... that was a real unstable OS).
After being really happy with Windows 2000, I made another try and after various recommendations I tried out Debian Woody. "If you really want to learn Linux, then use Debian." Lol, what a ******** to recommend a newbie... I made around 20 trys just to get a graphical desktop running and wasn't so fascinated by Linux any longer. For me it was just too different from Windows these days.
Windows XP then was a release I really disliked. The lousy home version, all the activation things and the incredibly ugly Luna interface (which was changed back to classic within minutes...).
So I alway kept an eye open to Linux, but didn't make any big steps. After realizing, that meanwhile I did most of my major taks with OSS (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Sunbird), I decided to give it another try and landed at Kanotix. I was still impressed by Debian's apt, but preferred the Knoppix spin-off because of its hardware recognition and the easy installation setup. But being a mix between testing and experimental, it wasn't that stable and sadly, there was no way to upgrade to a newer release. This really disappointed me, after having a nice running setup.
I kept it running on my second machine until I've read about Ubuntu somewhere. I liked the idea of a lightweight, userfriendly and debianbased system, so I gave it a try. The preview release installed flawlessly and finally I had a Linux without 20 programs for every purpose. I also got to like Gnome's simplicity, as KDE always made kind of an overweight impression to me.
For really getting used to Linux, I had to use it everyday so I installed it on my notebook.

I'm running Ubuntu on my notebook since Warthy preview release was out. First, it was only dual-boot because I need certain MS Applications for school use (Access, VisualBasic). But since Hoary is out I have a Linux only notebook which only runs Windows in VMware for the previously mentioned applications. There's also Oracle I run under Windows, but I guess it's available for Linux to. But I don't want to mess up my setup with things like these, so the VMs are the safe way to go.

By now, I got everything on my notebook to work, except the modem which I never tried and never will need... Now if I could find a way to get the DVI port on my docking station to work and get my hands on an USB 2.0 analog tv tuner that works with Linux, I was in heaven...

But anyway, I simply love the fact that I need less time to set up my notebook with Ubuntu and make all my settings than set it up with Windows XP. Dozens of drivers, reboot after every single one, strange errors in the control panel... no, I don't miss Windows for that :D

granite230
July 13th, 2005, 11:02 PM
It's getting better and better every single day!
I've been using Ubuntu since Warty was released. Before that I was just experimenting with other distro's (SuSE, Mandrake, Linspire, dual boots) but I haven't done much with it... after that I installed Ubuntu (never heard of it at the time). I thought it was a nice distro to really start with. No reason.
I got myself a brand new 160GB harddisk and dicided to just install Ubuntu on it (no Windows for this baby).
In the beginning it was hard to switch to Ubuntu (or any other distro... I still had another disk with Windows XP), I just didn't boot Linux very often. But as I used it more often I got really familiar with Ubuntu and I liked it better and better.

By the way, it was a lot of tweaking and customizing, but once it's done it's a great OS to use... you really only have to do that once, and then never look back at it... it just works forever.

Today I'm only booting Windows (no dual boot, just switching the harddisk) for school purposes. I REALLY like Ubuntu!! I got World of Warcraft working on it now... it's awesome!
Besides the school thingy's I never boot Windows anymore... never...

Plus! I also don't really want to explore and test other Linux distro's... I'm really happy with Ubuntu!

RickSGM
July 14th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Well, this is probably unusual. My first computer was a windows 98. Had nothing but trouble out of it (hardware). Then, I got a computer with Windows ME. Believe it or not, I haven't had a crash on it since 2001 except when zone alarm crashed with my dsl. Switched to outpost firewall and that was solved. No viruses in that time either.
Bought my wife one with XP. It's only so so. :roll:
I decided to try building a computer. Tried different linux distros before settling down to ubuntu. I had hardware problems with all of them except libranet, which I didn't really like. A friend told me about ubuntu, and I've been with it ever since.
If I could find a good mirc script that I can put features like sounds, popups, and multiple chatrooms, I'd ditch Windows on my old ME computer in a heartbeat too.
I guess the main thing for my wife is the Real Arcade games. Maybe some day, I'll find some aps that can do that and be totally windowless. I now use Ubuntu all the time except for mirc chat.
Best thing since sliced bread in my books. :)

weasel fierce
July 14th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Its going amazingly well. Everything I could do before, I can do now, and it generally works better.
Computer is running smooth as akitten.

Admitetdly, I miss playing XCOM, but eh, I have a playstation 2, and a bunch of fun games for that

doc_holiday
July 14th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I tried some distro's before ubuntu, but always switched back to windows. Now using ubuntu for some time and only have a windows pc to burn video dvd and configure cisco router using com1

manicka
July 14th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I tried some distro's before ubuntu, but always switched back to windows. Now using ubuntu for some time and only have a windows pc to burn video dvd and configure cisco router using com1
Do you mean burn a video dvd or create a video dvd? Burning video dvd's is easily done with programs like k3b.

atilasendil
July 16th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Well;
I have so much to write :-)
this is my third day with ubuntu (or should I say night) and all is getting better and better :-)

first day (night):
partition hdd0 with window$ and copy all my stuff on hdd1 there (this took the most time)
install ubuntu (wow it works)
start reading forums
try some games (like tuxracer which I have tried some years ago with no success) and see that 3d games are too slow ... well ... sunrise and I go to bed and am late to work

seconde day (night) :
learned about karamba and themes and icons;
hey, I was trying to use programs like objectdock to put things on some trays and karamba does it ...
wait wait even the taskbar (oops panel) is flexible; hey got weather too ... penguins around ?
let me choose the best wallpaper ... and the best desktop clock for karamba
etc. etc.
oops sunrise again and late for work again

third night (now)
at last got some themes; learned about keyconfigurations;
changed the foot to ubuntu logo
and dared to try ATI drivers
Respect ...
I played tuxracer at last ...
after so many years :-)
and I learned to so much more about the folders and command prompt too ,
hey I could change this too;
wow even this ...
linux is so flexible
just like playdoh
and ubuntu comes with a nice shape to start with :-)

well;
gotta learn more;
gotta learn more ...
and sometime gotta sleep not to lose my job :-)

btw : I work as a software developer but mostly big corporate ERP stuff with much SQL and every where I look I see unhappy slaves of M$

freedom at last ...

thank you people
thank you ubuntu

wonderland
July 17th, 2005, 01:21 PM
its been two days so far and yestarday i managed to install my modem, as much as i now love linux, the point is IT TOOK MY YESTERDAY (1 WHOLE DAY) to get the internet running. Any way im now needing help on installing php but I love linux. If php works then idont think ill be going to windows.

\\:D/

BWF89
July 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I've used Linux and I plan to ask my parents if I can duel boot it with Windows XP again but the only problem I have with it is:

It doesn't support my Canon S520 printer. So even if I did duel boot it with Win I wouldn 't be able to use it full time as my OS.

Trisa
July 17th, 2005, 04:50 PM
This has been my second month using Ubuntu, and it's been a great experience for me so far. All my hardware works very well with it. However, the only thing that isn't working right now is my Canoscan FB620U scanner. It's not that big of a deal seeing as I don't use it very often. Other than that, everything works well, and I'm having tons of fun working with new programs, such as Avidemux and The GIMP. I hope to see many more great things coming from Ubuntu in the future.

lyricmuse
July 18th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I've used Linux and I plan to ask my parents if I can duel boot it with Windows XP again but the only problem I have with it is:

It doesn't support my Canon S520 printer. So even if I did duel boot it with Win I wouldn 't be able to use it full time as my OS.
Have you tried using TurboPrint??? I have an Epson Stylus C66 and found drivers for it using turboprint.

Here's the url
http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

graigsmith
July 18th, 2005, 09:14 PM
after a month of using this. i started realising that linux is easier than windows. less stupid dialog popups. you don't have to worry as about security much. Files don't get locked by the os, you can delete, things while you are using them. you can move videos as they are playing, and linux just knows that you moved it and continues playing the video, as if nothing happened :)

DarthBagel
July 18th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I used to dual-boot windows and Fedora Core, but I got rid of it after the upgrade to Core 4 broke everything on my laptop. Right about then I was fed up with linux, then this guy at NYLF Tech gave me an ubuntu cd, I installed, and everything just worked. Now I run ubuntu and qemu Windows every now and then for the few things I do that require it. I must say that I'm very impressed with it, enough that I've ordered cd's to give to my freinds so they can try it out.

lyricmuse
July 19th, 2005, 05:05 PM
This is my update since I first posted this question. The only time I use windows is when I'm at work. I'm a computer tech so I build and fix a lot of Windows machines. I've been using Ubuntu steady now and I'm loving it.:-\"

Luggy
July 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I started using linux soon after I built my present computer (less than a year ago) and the only thing I regret is purchasing the amd64. Using linux for basic things like web surfing would be alot easier if I could use flash (stupid macromedia/adobe) but besides that linux runs alot smoother and faster then Windows. I try and use linux for everything I can, I only switch off to play games or to get around other imcompatabilities.

A friend held my hand through the install of Gentoo and I was using that for quiet a while. I switched over to Ubuntu after finally realising that I wasn't man enough to handle doing everything myself. Switching to Ubuntu fixed alot of the problems I was having like playing two sounds at once (music playing and I couldn't hear gaim beeping) and recognising the ethernet port on my mobo.

poofyhairguy
July 20th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I started using linux soon after I built my present computer (less than a year ago) and the only thing I regret is purchasing the amd64.

Just use the 32 bit version of Ubuntu on it. Easy as pie.

graigsmith
July 20th, 2005, 08:27 AM
i liked ubuntu so much i deleted windows. about 3 months ago.

I couldn't have done it without ubuntu's community forum. The help has been awesome. they helped me get my wacom tablet working, and all the video and audio formats working. And once that happened. I realized everything worked in linux. Linux was better looking than windows, clearlooks is very very nice, and should be default. Linux was easier to customize. Gimp does everything, it even reads my raw files, with that ufraw plugin. And Inkscape is alot of fun. 2 of my favorite programs right there.

And i had no reason to use windows. So i deleted windows :) and i don't miss it, at all. in fact i really like the customizibility of linux, and the ease of use. once you get it running, its easier than windows in some areas. like, windows locks files, and complains when you try to delete your files. linux just deletes them, or moves them, even if you are using the file. linux even lets you move videos while playing them. And i have yet to experience a failure because the os locked the file, because its using it. :grin:

Linux isn't hard, its just a little bit different. Once you use it as your main desktop os for a few months you feel just at home in linux as you do windows. :grin:

soul
July 20th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Meh. It's been okay. I've got the basics down but I'm still having troubles understanding all the terminal stuff and how to install programs without using apt-get or synaptic package manager.

darkmatter
July 20th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I started using GNU/Linux three weeks after getting my first computer, dual booted for about a month, then deleted Windows. \\:D/

redlabour
July 20th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I started using GNU/Linux three weeks after getting my first computer, dual booted for about a month, then deleted Windows. \\:D/
I still use Windows for Gaming purposes (Ok Enemy Territory, Nexuiz, Cube are the three that i play under Linux too !), administrate my Politics-Project (see at Signature) and Surfing.

In Fact for everything. I canīt see any Bugs or Problems under WinXP SP2. My System runs stable the last 3 Years and it is absolutely well performed.

Why ?

Very simple - i hate to boot everytime that i wanīt to play other Games, i hate surfing under Linux but love it under Windows with Firefox because itīs smoother, i hate the Directorystructure from Unix and so on.

But i love the Idea of OpenSource and use every Piece of free Software under Windows.

And of course if there is one GNU/Linux that maybe has a small Chance to bring the Change to my System completely then it is Ubuntu. ;)

entangled
July 20th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Seems most people here need Windows only for games. In my case I bought and run Windows occasionally only because company, family and friends all use Windows and sometimes need help with it. I do Windows enough at work, installing and configuring test rigs of Windows domains.

I do think Ubuntu is the best Linux I have used (out of 6 or 7, last one gentoo), especially with Gnome desktop, which is well automated, avoids bloat and sticks to essentials. Only a few initial configuration problems with sound, video playback, networking. Would have other problems if I used unsupported printer, scanner, camera, audio, etc. Given supported hardware I think Ubuntu is functional enough to replace Windows and it is mainly consumer conservatism (and maybe MS' obfuscated licencing) that stops this happening.

In my opinion Windows still beats Ubuntu (Gnome and KDE) for graphic style. Windows icons, window furniture, menus, colours, etc. tend to be 'professional' looking and better integrated. However I would not see that alone as a reason to get Windows, especially since it is not free.

As others have remarked, Windows has its problems too, the difference is that many people are in the same boat so it is likely to have a quick, well publicized, solution. Better the devil you know ...

Summary. Concentrate on developing unique and appealing graphic style and make the OS configuration as automated as possible.

glandula
July 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM
ive used windows all my life, but in the last year or so ive tried various linux distros, mainly out of boredom. fedore and mandrake were the ones i tried first. mandrake i didnt like, fedora seemed solid but a bit heavy to me. then in april i tihnk i discovered ubuntu and decided to give it a go, mostly cos i had heard good things about debian.

so i installed ubuntu on my smallest slowest harddisk, and booted into it once in a while and learned a little more each time. in around late june i had reached a level where i was happier in ubuntu than in windows. so i decided to move things around and put windows on the small slow harddisk, and ubuntu on my faster disks. i decided to completely format all my drives cos it was time for a cleanup anyway (ubuntu cos it had become a bit messed up due to my inexperience and experiments, windows cos its windows). so i took the small drive and made a partition for my importand windows files (movies, mp3s) and formatted the rest, installed ubuntu on a fast sata drive and was going to install windows on the slow disk (on a partition next to the backup partition)

well thats almost a month ago now, still didnt instal windows..havent needed it. dont think i will install it ever again either unless a really good game comes out that cant be played on linux.

i guess what drove me away from windows in the end was microsoft themselves, not spyware and viruses etc - i know how to stay clear of those.but activation, drm, the longhorn plans, its all going towards a stage where you need to ask bill gates if its ok if i open notepad, and need to conenct out to validate that i dont type a copyrighted word or something

wouldnt have made it without this forum. thanks everyone

Stormy Eyes
July 20th, 2005, 09:56 PM
My transition away from Windows would have been a hell of a lot easier if Ubuntu was available back in 1999. But I managed even though I was stuck with Red Hat 5.2. :evil:

TravisNewman
July 21st, 2005, 05:22 AM
wow, 5.2 was a beast. I think my first RedHat was 4.something, and before that I used some slackware out at the time. No way Linux could have replaced Windows for me at that time.

newbie2
July 22nd, 2005, 11:45 AM
This is my update since I first posted this question. The only time I use windows is when I'm at work. I'm a computer tech so I build and fix a lot of Windows machines. I've been using Ubuntu steady now and I'm loving it.:-\"

ok but i also agree with this -->
http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/commentary/stories/125792.html
:roll: :roll:

mike998
July 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
I miss a couple of games and was even tempted to install windows 2000 to play some windows games last night, but resisted the temptation.

I love Ubuntu - I try to show it off to everyone I know, my girlfriend hates windows now she has had a bit of time with ubuntu and only occasionally complains that she misses some Windows features or programs.

I don't really like having to use windows at work, but have to due to a couple of apps (one of which HAS to use IE and activex). I deal with this.

All things considered, my personal laptop is very much happier running Ubuntu...

H_Roark
July 22nd, 2005, 03:57 PM
When I installed Ubuntu, I expected significant hardware detetection and driver problems. I use an old Compaq laptop (P3 800 mhz), and assumed that the old hardware would create problems. To make things easier, I printed out a list of all the hardware and devices on the machine before starting the install.

I didn't need them. In fact, things that never worked on Windows XP (like the scroll buttons on the mouse) work now. I used TurboPrint to get my Canon inkject running.

So far, I've encountered only two recurring problems:
Installing software is a pain in the ass. Apt-get is great, but doesn't work for everything. In some cases, installed programs seem to disapear when apt-get works for them. (I still don't know what happened to 3d Chess).
When I download packages from the web, it's a crapshoot. Some work after using dpkg, others don't.

WMV files do not have sound.

Other than those issues, I love Linux. After a month, I've already become one of those people who sneer at those still trapped in Windows hell. Linux definitely has a steep learning curve (and I've got a lot of learning to do just to become an intermediate user), but it's worth it to be free of Windows.

lyricmuse
July 22nd, 2005, 05:31 PM
Excellent article!!! This one hit the nail on the head. I absolutely love linux, but I know it would be very painful to get some of my customers into it. They have enough problems with Windows (like where is the start button ;0)

Thanks for the link

aysiu
July 22nd, 2005, 07:45 PM
Excellent article!!! This one hit the nail on the head. I absolutely love linux, but I know it would be very painful to get some of my customers into it. They have enough problems with Windows (like where is the start button ;0)

Thanks for the link That's the biggest piece of FUD I've ever read. He's scared off at least two potential users, based on the comments in response to this article/blog. He hasn't affected any developers, though.

Hm. Piece says Linux isn't ready for the desktop. At least two people said "I was thinking about trying out Linux, but I guess I can save myself the trouble." No developers wrote, "We thought Linux was ready for everybody, and we were going to rest on our laurels, but then we read your insightful article and realize we now have to get working on making it easier for 'Joe Sixpack.'"

FUD. That's all it is.

poofyhairguy
July 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM

All that whole thing says is that "Linux needs to be just like Windows."

Alright people, raise your hands- how many of you after reading the millionth article about how Linux won't be a desktop OS (despite us using it as such) until its exactly like Windows thinks "If this is what it takes, screw the desktop market and the made-up "Joe User". I wanted Linux to get away from Windows."

My hand is raised.

aysiu
July 22nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
I don't see what the big deal is.
Linspire is that distro.
If people want Lindows, that's what Linspire used to be called because that's what Linspire is.

If people want something not exactly like Windows but still point-and-click and user-friendly, Mepis and Xandros easily fit that nitch.

If people want something not like Windows but easy to set up if you're not afraid of cutting and pasting a few commands, Ubuntu is it.

If people want a fully-configured from-the-ground-up system, they can use Debian (or Slackware or LFS or Gentoo).

If people want a super-small distro, there's Damn Small Linux.

Note: all of the aforementioned (except the ones in parentheses) are Debian-based distros, so even if people were using all these different versions, they could still help each other out... well, maybe except for the CNR-Linspire folk.

Truth is that Linux has already met Joe Mythical Sixpack's needs--well, as much as any operating system has. Joe Mythical Sixpack, however, does not want to install an OS, any OS.

Joe Mythical Sixpack wants to walk into a Best Buy, plunk down a few hundred for an HP or a Mac Mini and walk away with a computer that works already.

Even so, every day--every day without fail--someone in my office asks me a stupid question about how to do something very basic in WIndows. If Joe Sixpack exists, he can't even use Windows properly. Sorry. (In fact, two questions I got today were about Mozilla products.) And all the other whiners, like Asa I-tried-Fedora-and-had-a-bad-experience, are just Windows users who are so used to doing things the Windows way they actually pay attention to where the OK and Cancel buttons are.

I've used Windows since 3.1 (DOS, actually), and I still can't tell you, without checking, what order OK and Cancel appear in.

And Mac OS X does not migrate your Windows settings. Does that mean it's not ready for Joe getting-too-out-of-shape-to-have-a-sixpack?

FUD. F-U-D.
Should we start writing articles about Firefox and how it's not ready for the desktop? because I could make very similar assertions about Firefox (I happen to love FF, but it's not difficult to play devil's advocate).

lyricmuse
July 22nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
I do agree with you about this article possibly scaring away a new linux user. I also chose Linux to get away from Windows. The reason I liked this article is because for most of your average users that have been using Windows since the beginning, the interface for Linux will only confuse them. I have users who literally do not even know the basics (favorites, saving a file, etc). I don't think Linux should be just like Windows at all. If you look at distros like Linspire or Xandros, they are trying to mimic Windows to the extreme. Have you noticed any major rage over these distros? I haven't!!! I've seen more people raving about Ubuntu (and others distros like Knoppix, etc). The key thing here is to make it easier for the average non-technical user. I think you can do that and still maintain the hardline with technical users. Lord knows there are plenty of distros to choose from. The nice thing about Linux is that it's open source and there are plenty of apps to choose from without giving up your soul. It's also more secure. Most people will only get confused by too many choices, and as far as security goes, they will follow the latest hype put out by the big corporations.

I agree that it doesn't need to be like Windows. If that happens you lose the purity of Linux. I would have to raise my hand.

I hope this makes sense with why I thought the article was decent.

poofyhairguy
July 22nd, 2005, 08:25 PM
I don't see what the big deal is.
Linspire is that distro.
If people want Lindows, that's what Linspire used to be called because that's what Linspire is.

If people want something not exactly like Windows but still point-and-click and user-friendly, Mepis and Xandros easily fit that nitch.

If people want something not like Windows but easy to set up if you're not afraid of cutting and pasting a few commands, Ubuntu is it.

If people want a fully-configured from-the-ground-up system, they can use Debian (or Slackware or LFS or Gentoo).

If people want a super-small distro, there's Damn Small Linux.

Note: all of the aforementioned (except the ones in parentheses) are Debian-based distros, so even if people were using all these different versions, they could still help each other out... well, maybe except for the CNR-Linspire folk.

Truth is that Linux has already met Joe Mythical Sixpack's needs--well, as much as any operating system has. Joe Mythical Sixpack, however, does not want to install an OS, any OS.

Joe Mythical Sixpack wants to walk into a Best Buy, plunk down a few hundred for an HP or a Mac Mini and walk away with a computer that works already.

Even so, every day--every day without fail--someone in my office asks me a stupid question about how to do something very basic in WIndows. If Joe Sixpack exists, he can't even use Windows properly. Sorry. (In fact, two questions I got today were about Mozilla products.) And all the other whiners, like Asa I-tried-Fedora-and-had-a-bad-experience, are just Windows users who are so used to doing things the Windows way they actually pay attention to where the OK and Cancel buttons are.

I've used Windows since 3.1 (DOS, actually), and I still can't tell you, without checking, what order OK and Cancel appear in.

And Mac OS X does not migrate your Windows settings. Does that mean it's not ready for Joe getting-too-out-of-shape-to-have-a-sixpack?

FUD. F-U-D.
Should we start writing articles about Firefox and how it's not ready for the desktop? because I could make very similar assertions about Firefox (I happen to love FF, but it's not difficult to play devil's advocate).

Mod +15 best post here ever

Can I copy that if I credit you? That was some pwning of the highest nature for that whole arguement of "Linux isn't ready for desktop."

aysiu
July 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
I do agree with you about this article possibly scaring away a new linux user. Not possibly scaring off new users--actually scaring off new users. Take a look at Lorraine on the comments page (http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/008518.html) for Asa's blog (where the article originally appeared before later being published on the Microsoft-sponsored Zdnet). Or take a look at John Bradford from England (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/talkback.htm?PROCESS=show&ID=20119298&AT=39202374-2000061733t-10000002c) who says "I've been pondering switching from XP, but, having just seen this article, I'm definitely put off, and I'm a reasonably experienced desktop user." Note there are no Linux developers saying, "Thanks for the groundbreaking observations. No one has ever before told us we have to mimic Windows to get more users."

The reason I liked this article is because for most of your average users that have been using Windows since the beginning, the interface for Linux will only confuse them. I have users who literally do not even know the basics (favorites, saving a file, etc). Yes, and Mac OS X confused me at first, too, even though it's supposed to be the most user-friendly operating system of all. That doesn't mean Asa's going to write a FUD article about how Mac isn't ready for the desktop.

I don't think Linux should be just like Windows at all. If you look at distros like Linspire or Xandros, they are trying to mimic Windows to the extreme. Have you noticed any major rage over these distros? I haven't!!! I've seen more people raving about Ubuntu (and others distros like Knoppix, etc). Rage and rave are two completely different things. I'm not sure I know what your point is.

The key thing here is to make it easier for the average non-technical user. Once Linux is installed and configured, it's not any more "technical" than when Windows is installed and configured. It's all point-and-click.

Most people will only get confused by too many choices This all depends on the distro. Asa, for some reason, singled out Fedora. As people on this forum know, though, Ubuntu does not confuse you with choices but uses only one app per task.

I hope this makes sense with why I thought the article was decent. A lot of people who've defended the article say it's not really about FUD but about strategies to make things more accessible. Okay. I don't buy that. First of all, the title of the article is "Why Linux isn't ready for desktops." The title isn't "What Linux should do to expand its market share" or "Linux almost there with wooing Windows users." Even if it had one of those latter two titles, it's a shoddy piece of journalism. Fedora? It's all about Fedora? That's how we judge how to woo Windows users to Linux?

Also, why make it an article that the general public can read if you're not trying to scare away potential users? If he's honestly trying to help Linux, why not privately talk to Linux developers or send a memo to Fedora suggesting a few strategies?

I've worked in admissions before, and we talk about strategies for recruitment all the time. We don't write articles about them in online journals. We talk amongst ourselves. Sometimes we talk with other schools' admissions offices. If it is the goal of Linux to woo Windows users away from Microsoft (a dubious assumption to begin with), it would be best achieved by having suggestions brought to the developers. I wouldn't, as an admissions person for a school write an article that says, "Colleges not ready for high school graduates."

So if Asa is really well-intentioned in trying to get Linux adopted, why would he write an articled entitled "Why Linux isn't ready for desktops"? Asa's article is FUD.

aysiu
July 22nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Mod +15 best post here ever Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Mod +15"? I'm still a Linux newbie, despite my arrogant rants.

Can I copy that if I credit you? That was some pwning of the highest nature for that whole arguement of "Linux isn't ready for desktop." Sure, but what's pwning? Again, I'm still new at this.

MikeyXX
July 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Well, I've been trying Linux in some flavour over the last couple years. Debian, redhat, fedora, centos, blah blah. Every one had some issues. Most were terminal where they wouldn't find my wireless card. Then I'd get into dependency hell attempting the 20 different ways of getting it (or not getting it) to work. I got frustrated with the lack of uniformidy (if you have this distro, do this, if you have that distro, do that....). So back to Windows I went. Then I got a new Dell laptop and the running joke is that no Linux distro will work for me. So the same guy who gets me to try all these other distros suggests this Ubuntu. Guess what, everything worked out of the box. If it didn't and I reinstalled, it only took a couple hours, but no real hassle. So I'm dual booting now due to certain needs that are not easily fixed with my minimal Linux knowledge and the plathora of conflicting suggestions on the net:

-Can't get corporate email. requires NTLMv2.
-On my other laptop IBM 600X the display is a little grainy and won't boot in GNOME, only Kubuntu.
-Can't get dual display working on my Dell Inspiron 9300
-Wireless fails after coming back from powersavings.
-Pain in the butt to get simple internet friendly items to work since they are based around Windows. (Streaming video, wmv files, etc)
-Sound works on desktop, but not all applications will work. Usually comes up with something about null device and then going into settings and selecting the audio alsa doesn't work (that's what the desktop is using).

I'll keep playing, but I can't go completely linux since the world isn't completely linux friendly. As well, although there is a linux comunity, What works for one person hardly ever works for the next. Windows tends to be more cause and effect. So if you get THIS error, do THAT. Not the case in the vast distro jungle of linux.

I'll keep trying though \\:D/

lyricmuse
July 22nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
I apologize if my grammar is confusing you. I'm not much of a forum person so I don't always make myself clear when typing. What I meant by rage and rave is that their seems to be more interest in Ubuntu than in Linspire or Xandros. Not a fact, just an opinion. I don't know anything about Asa and I'm not defending the person. I do agree that the title is negative, I just hadn't thought about it that way.

I thought some good points were made in the article about usability. I should have clarified that. I also didn't look at the big picture as you have.

I will gracefully bow out about this subject as I feel it is getting away from the original question.

Thanks for the well articulated reply.

MikeyXX
July 22nd, 2005, 09:38 PM
Oh, just to add to my above post. I've also need to boot to Windows for my SD card reader and to sync my IPAQ. :]

lyricmuse
July 22nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
I agree with you (MikeyXX) about some things not working right in Linux. Most of it is just growing pains on my part. For instance I tried to get my Linksys wireless g card to work with ndiswrapper, but it just never quite seemed to work. Probably ignorance on my part, but much easier to get working in Windows. Aside from small glitches like that, my experience has been very positive, especially with Ubuntu. The wireless part is for my daughters computer, and I just wanted to get it running so I didn't hear her complain ;-)

poofyhairguy
July 25th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Mod +15"? I'm still a Linux newbie, despite my arrogant rants.

Slashdot term...sorry to confuse

Sure, but what's pwning? Again, I'm still new at this.

Pwn means you destroyed the other arguement. Its a chess term for taking ones pawn ( I think).

Now for a weird word so I can find this thread again when I need that:

ghostbusters

aysiu
July 25th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the translation. Asa's article just got me all riled up...

Waqas
September 16th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Im 70% Ubuntu & 30% WinXP (pirate version[-X, because I found myself too poor to buy an expensive OS, expensive AV & expensive firewall). Theres no free lunch, but theres free OS, GIMP and many more.. :-P

Unless I can rid off my habit on gaming & 3D art stuff, Im 100% Ubuntu. :-\"

However, I wasnt quite dissapointed in my early first week, because I didnt have much trouble after reading tonnes of HOWTOs here.. So, everything went just fine.. and I wish the V5.10 is going to support my HWs better. ;-)

GIMP is not that hard afterall.. O:)

Knome_fan
September 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Unless I can rid off my habit on gaming & 3D art stuff, Im 100% Ubuntu. :-\"

For 3D art stuff: Did you try blender?
http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

majed
October 28th, 2005, 09:50 PM
The only reason i still keep Bill's on my disk is bcz i couldn't find a replacement to CyberGuard VPN Client when i need to connect to corporate network for work..

if only i can do it!!!

Pathogenix
October 29th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Lovely, thank you.

I reinstalled Windows today on my shiny new hard drive.

hda -> XP
hdb -> data
hdc -> data/ubuntu.

So I whipped out hdc, replaced it with exhibit A) my new hard drive.
I inserted the CD, began to install on exhibit A, got to the serial number screen and found out that I'd written my s/n down wrongly.

Now, here's the clever bit. I tried to cancel, only you can't cancel an XP install (why would anyone do something like that?) so I rebooted in order to log into XP and retrieve my s/n.

Instead of presenting me with GRUB, Windows tried to continue the setup. I removed the install CD and rebooted a second time. No GRUB. Windows refused to load, citing missing files.
I removed the new hard drive and rebooted for a third time. No GRUB. Windows still refused to load, citing the same missing files.

In disbelief, I rebooted, replaced my original MBR on hda. Windows decided that hda was now unreadable. So, we're currently M$ free. I need to reinstall it for work purposes, but frankly I'm considering giving up on .Net and cross training into Java instead.

I'm at a loss to suggest why installing on the secondary master required monkeying about with a working install on the primary master, but that's M$ for you I suppose.

Ubuntu still works though, after I chrooted and installed GRUB into the boot record of what used to be hdc. I like it more and more every day.

fuscia
October 29th, 2005, 01:06 AM
i can't help thinking i've still got IE on my computer somewhere. maybe my new cat and i will calm down at the same time.

missmoondog
November 4th, 2005, 04:17 AM
i've tried suse a few times and recently was up to version 10.0. never really cared for it, but tried it just because. i burned a live ubuntu iso from the net a few days ago and tried it out. i love it!! took a bit to get my audio/video working, but it's ok now. have wiped windows xp off 3 of my 4 machines. would install Ubuntu 5.10 on that 4th one, but it's the wife's!!

bored2k
November 4th, 2005, 05:17 AM
So far, so good. I can't flush Windows because my brothers use it, but I've been away for it for a while now (with occasional boots to it just to check how things are going). What do I miss? Only three applications:
1. The Rosetta Stone language learning software, but hopefully I'll get that to work whenever I lay my hands on Crossover Office 5 (I've been told it works on Wine, but for some reason I need to reconfigure my X).
2. Microsoft Encarta 2005 French (I would use it a lot if it worked on linux [for my language studies]).
3. Microsoft Office 2003, just because it's lighter than OOo2 and because I need to make sure documents are saved correctly before viewing or printing them through a non Linux box.
4 (bonus). I'd like to manage to get Dev-C++ to compile..

I don't really have any major complaints here..

iNerdSure
November 4th, 2005, 08:30 AM
A mixed good and bad experience. I like the Linux stability. It hardly hangs or needs a reboot in the last 2 weeks I've installed Breezy from its release date.

The downside is I can't get the sound on my laptop to work. Tried ALSA, OSS etc without any success. Hence, my important business tool, Skype, still needs to be run on a separate M$WinXP laptop.

Another downside is it can't detect the connection at wireless hotspots. And, not very crucial, but important tool, is the battery monitor. This is also not working with Breezy.

If I can get sound, wireless, and battery monitor working, I can effectively be "business as usual". Plus the stability and security of Linux.

Blunts
November 4th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I personally, as a long time Windows user and programmer, seen the change from XP to (my first linux distro) Centos 3 quite easy. I do realize that any programming background will help ease the transition, but with the enourmous community help system that virtually all linux distros have, help is usually just a chat or forum away.
Since that time I have tried virtually all flavors of linux only to return to Ubuntu and Centos as my choices. My point is --- it took you some time to learn all the tricks of Windows --- it's no different with Linux. Be patient and willing to ask questions and you will enjoy the open source nature of Linux to its full extent. ( But, thats just my opinion :KS )