blah blah blah
June 24th, 2007, 04:23 AM
which one is better?

blah blah blah
June 24th, 2007, 05:17 AM
No one cares?

H.E. Pennypacker
June 24th, 2007, 07:07 AM
It's not that I don't care. It's just that I've never heard of ROX.

Outrunner
June 24th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Since I've never heard of ROX, I'm voting for XFCE :D

Polygon
June 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM
xfce is like a full blown window enviroment,

and isnt rox just a GUI file browser? I dont think that this controls the desktop, or anything else but file browsing for that matter

but rox takes a lot less resources then xfce

raul_
June 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM
ROX is a good desktop manager for standalone WM's like Fluxbox, Blackbox, or for all *boxes since we're at it, FVWM, FVWM-crystal, etc etc. I tried to use it sometimes but I didn't like it, mainly because it removed my ability to right click the desktop and access the menu.

But it all comes down to want you want to do. ROX Desktop runs where XFCE doesn't

ThomasAdam
June 24th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I tried to use it sometimes but I didn't like it, mainly because it removed my ability to right click the desktop and access the menu.

You clearly overlooked the fact that you can change this in Rox's preferences. Not that I use it much anyway, preferring gentoo.

-- Thomas Adam

raul_
June 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I could never find the darn thing! :D

init1
June 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
XFCE is a desktop environment, while ROX is only a file manager/desktop. The desktop in XFCE is managed by Thunar. I like rox because it is light. Thunar is also nice. It looks a lot like Nautilus.

init1
June 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM
xfce is like a full blown window enviroment,

and isnt rox just a GUI file browser? I dont think that this controls the desktop, or anything else but file browsing for that matter

but rox takes a lot less resources then xfce
You can configure rox to be your desktop. That is what Puppy and Feather Linux do.

raul_
June 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
The desktop in XFCE is managed by Thunar.

What are you talking about?

Ptero-4
June 25th, 2007, 04:36 AM
ROX draws a desktop with wallpaper and icons, and it also have panel and session manager.
Ahh. And the desktop in xfce is drawn by xfdesktop, not thunar.

init1
June 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM
What are you talking about?

ROX draws a desktop with wallpaper and icons, and it also have panel and session manager.
Ahh. And the desktop in xfce is drawn by xfdesktop, not thunar.
I guess I was wrong about that. I knew nautilus controls the desktop in gnome and konqeror in KDE (I'm not sure thought), but I guess I haven't used XFCE much. I tried some distro today based on Kantonix that uses rox for the destop, file manager and a cool scrolling panel. I guess the only thing it doesn't do is the window managing, but there are plenty of those around already.

Xanatos Craven
June 25th, 2007, 07:49 AM
guess I was wrong about that. I knew nautilus controls the desktop in gnome and konqeror in KDE (I'm not sure thought)
Though Konqueror is in itself a swiss-army knife of a file mana-- er, web browser-- no, wait... application, one thing it doesn't do is manage the KDE desktop. That's done by the too-predictably-named KDesktop.

And whether Xfce or ROX Desktop is better for you depends on your needs, I guess, since Xfce is a full-blown DE and all ROX does (as far as I know) is file and desktop-icon management, but is probably better-suited for really old machines. It could also depend on what window manager or other things ROX is being combined with, since you can't really use ROX by itself.

init1
June 25th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Though Konqueror is in itself a swiss-army knife of a file mana-- er, web browser-- no, wait... application, one thing it doesn't do is manage the KDE desktop. That's done by the too-predictably-named KDesktop.

And whether Xfce or ROX Desktop is better for you depends on your needs, I guess, since Xfce is a full-blown DE and all ROX does (as far as I know) is file and desktop-icon management, but is probably better-suited for really old machines. It could also depend on what window manager or other things ROX is being combined with, since you can't really use ROX by itself.
KDesktop? Only nautilus then.
And yes you can use ROX by itself, you just won't be able to move your windows. Not very convenient...

SoulinEther
June 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Xfce 4.4 embodies the traditional UNIX philosophy of modularity and re-usability. It consists of a number of components that together provide the full functionality of the desktop environment. They are packaged separately and you can pick and choose from the available packages to create the best personal working environment.

Right off the xfce.org main page.... meaning xfce is designed to be picked and chosen as necessary.

xfdesktop can be taken to run your desktop no problem... I recommend you use xfdesktop and thunar - its been a good combination for me :P

Wolki
June 25th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I've been a Gnome user for a few years now, but before that I used ROX and it was quite good. Some things like drag&drop saving are very cool.

luca_linux
June 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Xfce! I really like it. (In fact I also run XUbuntu)
Very big steps have been made in the latest releases...Thunar is great: stable, fast, pretty complete.

Waiting for KDE4 anyway...:)