PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is so boooring ...

Crypto
July 11th, 2005, 11:00 PM
... everything runs like a charm :)

I don't know what I can do (or tuning) right now ... all apps I need runs perfectly.
No defrag with reiserfs anymore .... ;)

Right now I'm playing with Gentoo on my notebook .... for fun ;)

The only reason why I have still XP on my HDD is the german "bookkeeping software (http://www.lexware.de/SID109.LxlvtULS6oU/shopProductDetails?mm=00897-0500)" with my HBCI-Card. (Someone knows such a software 4 linux?) ;)

Short ... Ubuntu is great ;)

Kvark
July 11th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Lol, make a computer game where you have to fight errors, viruses, illogical design, [color] screen of death, etc. The different levels could be various linux distros, windows versions, and flavours of other OSes.

"are you bored because ubuntu works too well? do you long back to the times when your computer hated you and threw errors at you for no reason at all? Then this is the game for you!" - Wonder how many would play it...

Takis
July 11th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Lol, make a computer game where you have to fight errors, viruses, illogical design, screen of death, etc.

What - you mean reinstall Windows?

sonny
July 11th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Lol, make a computer game where you have to fight errors, viruses, illogical design, [color] screen of death, etc. The different levels could be various linux distros, windows versions, and flavours of other OSes.

"are you bored because ubuntu works too well? do you long back to the times when your computer hated you and threw errors at you for no reason at all? Then this is the game for you!" - Wonder how many would play it...
Rookie level- Windows crashes

vega44
July 12th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Rookie level- Windows crashes
my windows computer has not crashed in 4 years...... i use it 24/7 IT MUST BE YOU!!!

i have a firewall no a/v and spyscanner .........

NeoSNightmarE
July 12th, 2005, 12:04 AM
What - you mean reinstall Windows?
Beat me to it. lmao. i would play it though. There should be a bonus level where you have to crack a code and get all of Gate's money. Now that's quality gaming. :D

bored2k
July 12th, 2005, 12:06 AM
my windows computer has not crashed in 4 years...... i use it 24/7 IT MUST BE YOU!!!

Write a book I'll buy it.
"How to NOT crash MS's OS for 21days..er..4years O.o!"

Just kidding :D.
It depends on the use you give it. If you only use Office software and avoid P2P and such, you should be somewhat clean. That you haven't caught any virus in 4 years Is a marvel.

sonny
July 12th, 2005, 12:07 AM

Not crashed in four years?? Well congrats.. you've just defeted all probabilities. 'cuz it should've crash 4 years ago.

sonny
July 12th, 2005, 12:10 AM

It depends on the use you give it. If you only use Office software and avoid P2P and such, you should be somewhat clean. That you haven't caught any virus in 4 years Is a marvel.
Well you should aviod any internet contact

bored2k
July 12th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Well you should aviod any internet contact
I have a book called
"Network Security Fundamentals" by Peter Norton http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672316919/102-3236512-5259308?v=glance

In the first pages of the book you get something like "You want a completely safe environment ?
-Unplug the internet connection.
-Unplug the LAN or whatever
-Unplug the floppy
-Unplug the CD-Rom
-Unplug the keyboard
-Look the doors (but the CIA would read your monitor as they scan for a certain activity from it)

It doesn't look like a real alternative does it ? Well, that's the only way to keep a system 100% safe."

vega44
July 12th, 2005, 12:26 AM

i have uesed all prp software.... and i hang in hacker chat rooms :/ and i do NOT do windows update! and never been hacked, many have tride.... and i play a LOT of games......

if i crash........ my computer would have blown up......... :?

bored2k
July 12th, 2005, 12:27 AM
i have uesed all prp software.... and i hang in hacker chat rooms :/ and i do NOT do windows update! and never been hacked, many have tride.... and i play a LOT of games......

if i crash........ my computer would have blown up......... :?
Nature had an abortion, and lowlux was born :D.

NeoSNightmarE
July 12th, 2005, 12:29 AM
4 years? Damn! I think the most I went without it acting up was like a year and a half. Hell, someone I know bought a Compaq and went to turn it on and it wouldn't. He had to reinstall it as soon as he got the computer. I couldn't help but say "see my point?" and he just told me to shut up and plug the monitor back in. lol

vega44
July 12th, 2005, 12:34 AM
4 years? Damn! I think the most I went without it acting up was like a year and a half. Hell, someone I know bought a Compaq and went to turn it on and it wouldn't. He had to reinstall it as soon as he got the computer. I couldn't help but say "see my point?" and he just told me to shut up and plug the monitor back in. lol
it would have to blow up or someone would have to trash it, or the hard drive could die like the last computer i had... no that was befor the one suse pro 9.1 deleted my harddive ........well deleted windows and FOOKED its self over ;/

sonny
July 12th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I have a book called
"Network Security Fundamentals" by Peter Norton http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672316919/102-3236512-5259308?v=glance

In the first pages of the book you get something like "You want a completely safe environment ?
-Unplug the internet connection.
-Unplug the LAN or whatever
-Unplug the floppy
-Unplug the CD-Rom
-Unplug the keyboard
-Look the doors (but the CIA would read your monitor as they scan for a certain activity from it)

It doesn't look like a real alternative does it ? Well, that's the only way to keep a system 100% safe."
Hahahahahahahahahahaha... :grin:

Well for some systems it might be a little true in it. But I guess lowlux might be right it depends on the user, but as much as you care for it, in WinXP if you REALLY use the machine it will crash eventually. Here in the office I have a WinXP machine, got 512 mb in ram, a 2gh P4 processor, a gigabyte mobo, and it still crash when I run Corel Draw, MS-Office, Netscape, and Adobe PDF at the same time. In linux with this box it would need some extra software to make it crash. Last week I format it (don't tell my boss I did it), as soon as I conected to the internet to update Norton I was attacked by a horde of spyware, and norton couldn't get rid of them after I updated it, had to manually removed the 16 spywares (I'm not kidding, that REALLY happened), after installing all the software, I run Corel, open up Page Maker, after a while I needed some basic calculation, so I opened Excel, after 5 min. it crashed.

bored2k
July 12th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha... :grin:

Well for some systems it might be a little true in it. But I guess lowlux might be right it depends on the user, but as much as you care for it, in WinXP if you REALLY use the machine it will crash eventually. Here in the office I have a WinXP machine, got 512 mb in ram, a 2gh P4 processor, a gigabyte mobo, and it still crash when I run Corel Draw, MS-Office, Netscape, and Adobe PDF at the same time. In linux with this box it would need some extra software to make it crash. Last week I format it (don't tell my boss I did it), as soon as I conected to the internet to update Norton I was attacked by a horde of spyware, and norton couldn't get rid of them after I updated it, had to manually removed the 16 spywares (I'm not kidding, that REALLY happened), after installing all the software, I run Corel, open up Page Maker, after a while I needed some basic calculation, so I opened Excel, after 5 min. it crashed.
Tip: Norton is a hog. Get TrendMicro PC-cillin 2005. It's mighty good. If you read reviews on cnet or anywhere else, you'll see reviewers think its the best security software behind the tazer gun. A friend of mine worked with them so I got a close look at it. It is good.

kvidell
July 12th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Ubuntu is boring.. yes.. Well, Hoary is.
That's why I stopped using Hoary for the most part. I only use it on laptops now because well.. I don't want to tweak a laptop.
I have a laptop because I need mobility... that mobility may need to be utilized at very random seeming times, and I need it to be functioning... so I use Ubuntu H., or a PowerBook ^.^; I <3 Mac laptops.

Desktops get either Windows XP SP2 w/ XPLITE (For gaming. I'm too lazy to fandangle Cedega), Gentoo, Debian or are Mac...
However, the only OS I feel comfy using on a 1U right now is Breezy.
It works _so_ well headless. apt-get and aptitude, plus my knowledge of how Debian works on the inside make Breezy the _perfect_ distribution to go on my headless 1U systems.

Other than that.. Hoary's boring! :-P

sonny
July 12th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Tip: Norton is a hog. Get TrendMicro PC-cillin 2005. It's mighty good. If you read reviews on cnet or anywhere else, you'll see reviewers think its the best security software behind the tazer gun. A friend of mine worked with them so I got a close look at it. It is good.
Well I CAN'T install anything not aproved by the big boss.... hehehehehehehe... to much it control.

bored2k
July 12th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Well I CAN'T install anything not aproved by the big boss.... hehehehehehehe... to much it control.
:/ I understand. What I don't understand is: why buy a brand new machina just to install some software that would remove about 500mhz and 250mb RAM from it O.o ?

Solution ? apt-get :P

sonny
July 12th, 2005, 12:57 AM
:/ I understand. What I don't understand is: why buy a brand new machina just to install some software that would remove about 500mhz and 250mb RAM from it O.o ?

Solution ? apt-get :P
That's the same thing I say. But hey... it's his money not mine; I always put on the table open source alternatives, though. But I don't think he'll EVER consider one of my options as a possible alternative.

a-nubi-s
July 12th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by lowlux
my windows computer has not crashed in 4 years...... i use it 24/7 IT MUST BE YOU!!! Then you shouldn't have any problem posting a screenshot of your uptime right? Seeing is believing.

skirkpatrick
July 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Have you checked out www.moneydance.com? I think it supports your online banking.

bgstratt
July 13th, 2005, 03:59 AM
depends on what your definition of a crash is too, just having it lock up and being forced to reboot or manually power down, that's not a crash, LOL, just a trip-up.

Takis
July 13th, 2005, 11:04 PM
... everything runs like a charm :)

I don't know what I can do (or tuning) right now ... all apps I need runs perfectly.
No defrag with reiserfs anymore .... ;)

Right now I'm playing with Gentoo on my notebook .... for fun ;)

The only reason why I have still XP on my HDD is the german "bookkeeping software (http://www.lexware.de/SID109.LxlvtULS6oU/shopProductDetails?mm=00897-0500)" with my HBCI-Card. (Someone knows such a software 4 linux?) ;)

Short ... Ubuntu is great ;)

Just thought of this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreakMyUbuntu). :)

angkor
July 14th, 2005, 11:23 AM
depends on what your definition of a crash is too, just having it lock up and being forced to reboot or manually power down, that's not a crash, LOL, just a trip-up.

*LOL*

souki
July 14th, 2005, 05:41 PM
my windows computer has not crashed in 4 years...... i use it 24/7
tell me how you do that or I send you a VERY BIG DDOS attack in your head

sonny
July 14th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Then you shouldn't have any problem posting a screenshot of your uptime right? Seeing is believing.
I guess HIS definition of crash is that the OS shows the Blue Screen... in that sense.. YES WinXP will NEVER crash... :-P

bored2k
July 14th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I guess HIS definition of crash is that the OS shows the Blue Screen... in that sense.. YES WinXP will NEVER crash... :-P
Have you guys ever experienced this: Ok so XP has no bluescreen, but you try to boot it and you get a stupid missing crapware.dll not found, please check with your admin or whateveR? That SO get's me going bananas.

bored2k
July 14th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Then you shouldn't have any problem posting a screenshot of your uptime right? Seeing is believing.
ROFLMAO

sonny
July 14th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Have you guys ever experienced this: Ok so XP has no bluescreen, but you try to boot it and you get a stupid missing crapware.dll not found, please check with your admin or whateveR? That SO get's me going bananas.
mmmm... I've never seen that... at boot up you say?
But I had some problems while installing ORIGINAL Windows XP.... Some of the dll's are missing, the installer can't find them, although they're on the cd, and in the folder they're suppose to be, that REALLY is odd.

bored2k
July 14th, 2005, 06:55 PM
mmmm... I've never seen that... at boot up you say?
But I had some problems while installing ORIGINAL Windows XP.... Some of the dll's are missing, the installer can't find them, although they're on the cd, and in the folder they're suppose to be, that REALLY is odd.
crapware.dll being any dll, not Crapware.dll Lol ! :-P

Lord Illidan
July 14th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I have to confess that although Windows is ridiculed like hell in Linux forums, it works on my pc perfectly. Spyware? Never - I use Mozilla Firefox and Ad-Aware.
Viruses - I use Ares, but I have AVG anti virus.
Firewall - I have Outpost firewall, works nice.
Performance - As good as Ubuntu if not more.
Version - Windows XP.

And I used to do everything on this OS. Crashing was a very rare occurence. Not to offend anyone but applications in Kubuntu crash even more than in Windows.
Maybe it is time to face the facts. If your Windows doesn't work, it is probably you, not the OS. I use Kubuntu because I want to, but aside from the cheap side, there is no real reason to switch 100% to Linux.

sonny
July 14th, 2005, 07:05 PM
crapware.dll being any dll, not Crapware.dll Lol ! :-P
hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha.... :grin:

I didn't understand... anyway... I've never had any *.dll problem at boot up, just while installing.

Takis
July 14th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I have to confess that although Windows is ridiculed like hell in Linux forums, it works on my pc perfectly. Spyware? Never - I use Mozilla Firefox and Ad-Aware.
Viruses - I use Ares, but I have AVG anti virus.
Firewall - I have Outpost firewall, works nice.
Performance - As good as Ubuntu if not more.
Version - Windows XP.

And I used to do everything on this OS. Crashing was a very rare occurence. Not to offend anyone but applications in Kubuntu crash even more than in Windows.
Maybe it is time to face the facts. If your Windows doesn't work, it is probably you, not the OS. I use Kubuntu because I want to, but aside from the cheap side, there is no real reason to switch 100% to Linux.
Yeah since desktop Windows took on an NT-based system rather than 95-based, it's been infinitely more stable. I was actually quite proud when I did manage to lock it up completely, and that only happened once. Out of curiousity, did you ever try running Windows ME? That thing could crash left right and centre.

Another reason to switch 100% to Ubuntu would be significantly reduced risk of malware and spyware propagation on your machine. Being able to browse without particularly worrying (or at least, worrying less) about what sites you're browsing to is quite a plus I'd say - although naturally it's only a matter of time before malware pops up that's targeted on Linux. :-x