PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever change their username??

floke
June 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Following a nagging sense that I suffered from a spectacular lapse of imagination when originally joining these forums (original name Steve.K :neutral:) I have decided to adopt a new username (floke),

[My last avatar was of my dog, Flo, and when I was trying to think of a new username I was reminded of a book my dad used to have when I was a kid, called Fluke (about a man who thinks he's a dog, or a dog who thinks its a man) - always used to freak me out - was made into a film a few years ago, and it's crap - but anyway...]

Anyone else ever changed their account/username??

ynnhoj
June 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
i would change my display name to the same one i use on irc -- if i could do so without bothering to create a new account :p

ironfistchamp
June 23rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Nope I only have two usernames. One for logging on to my computer and one for logging onto internet things.

fuscia
June 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Following a nagging sense that I suffered from a spectacular lapse of imagination when originally joining these forums (original name Steve.K :neutral:) I have decided to adopt a new username (floke),

[My last avatar was of my dog, Flo, and when I was trying to think of a new username I was reminded of a book my dad used to have when I was a kid, called Fluke (about a man who thinks he's a dog, or a dog who thinks its a man) - always used to freak me out - was made into a film a few years ago, and it's crap - but anyway...]

the 'new floke'? when are we gonna get steve klassic?

floke
June 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hey it was the best I could come up with that wasn't already taken ;)

Besides, Steve.K is a bit too KDE - how about KSteve??

fuscia
June 23rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
steve17 or stevebox would be good.

floke
June 23rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Well stevebuntu would be tooooooo cheesy (and is probably already taken).
And shouldn't it be StevE17??

fuscia
June 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Well stevebuntu would be tooooooo cheesy (and is probably already taken).
And shouldn't it be StevE17??

no. all their eeez are little.

floke
June 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
My apologoe17s;)

fuscia
June 23rd, 2007, 10:56 PM
My apologoe17s;)

gnub!

yabbadabbadont
June 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
You do realize that you've violated the terms of service for the forums... ;)

In fact, there was a discussion about this exact thing in the notes of the last forum council meeting. I believe that the consensus was that whenever the mods discover this has happend, they will remove the new account and (I think) fold the new account's post into the old. (so you probably shouldn't have said anything :D)

I won't tell though. I came from the Gentoo forums where there is an official username change request thread. The mods there have no problem changing them for you if you wish.

Stew2
June 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
I have seen the mods here change users names on request occasionally but I think there has to be a valid reason, not just because we think of a better name later :D. I've only seen them do it a couple of times though.

floke
June 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM

In fact, there was a discussion about this exact thing in the notes of the last forum council meeting. I believe that the consensus was that whenever the mods discover this has happend, they will remove the new account and (I think) fold the new account's post into the old. (so you probably shouldn't have said anything :D)

I won't tell though. I came from the Gentoo forums where there is an official username change request thread. The mods there have no problem changing them for you if you wish.

Oh dear!
Mods should feel free to delete the old account though; that I have no trouble with.
Ooops.

fuscia
June 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
just say you found out your old username rhymes with an insult to some prehistoric tribe somewhere.

floke
June 23rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Ah, the well known stevek tribe of ubuntini - they were a right bunch of gits!
Have PMd a mod, so will let you know how it goes.

fuscia
June 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ah, the well known stevek tribe of ubuntini - they were a right bunch of gits!
Have PMd a mod, so will let you know how it goes.

i hang, breathlessly, on the edge of my seat.

loell
June 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
i don't know if there needs to be a valid reason for changing username, but a year ago, i saw someone with a changed username merely because he befriended a staff. though i'm not sure, i may just be heretic.

Stew2
June 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
i hang, breathlessly, on the edge of my seat.

lol! :D

SoulinEther
June 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
I'm disagreeable today.

I come from aonther forum that you had to DONATE money to change your username. That's extreme.

What always irks me is as a forum administrator, it's so easy to change somebody's username. If that person really wants to change it, it should be changed. You can either do it through an administration panel or through the database, though the latter would be a tad more difficult.

Bah... just let people change their display name, or set a different display name to the account name... there are security purposes for the latter.

digital_exhaust
June 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I've used the same name for.... well.. forever.

I think that one of the reasons that some boards are hesitant to allow members to change their names (without a legitimate reason) is because it can cause some confusion for other members... but of course, bear in mind that is simply what "I think" and could be completely wrong... soooo.....

slimdog360
June 24th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I was reminded of a book my dad used to have when I was a kid, called Fluke (about a man who thinks he's a dog, or a dog who thinks its a man)
The shaggy dog

yabbadabbadont
June 24th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I've never heard of a book like that, but there was a movie with that name and a similar premise a few years ago. Edit: OK, it was 12 years ago. (that's just a few to me ;))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluke_%28film%29

floke
June 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Whaddayaknow - the marvellous mods have not only agreed to my namechange, but have also let me keep my beans. 'Tis truly a joyous occasion when a man gets to keep his beans :D

phidia
June 24th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Whaddayaknow - the marvellous mods have not only agreed to my namechange, but have also let me keep my beans. 'Tis truly a joyous occasion when a man gets to keep his beans :D

Congrats to ya!!

Maybe I could ask for the same?? I didn't know they would do that.
(I've changed mine once)

Anyway-good deal :)

RAV TUX
June 24th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Name changes could be added to the user CP....that way a user could randomly change their name whenever they wanted...or set a 2 or 3 time limit.

I have this enabled at The CafeLinux Forum (http://cafelinux.org/forum/), but I also have zero Mods and zero admins acting as Mods. (This is only possible with a SPAM control mod)

People will for the most part rise to the occasion of how you define them, only a few users changes their User Names.

With that said this is a much, much larger forum and User Controls are probably best regulated...but I am sure most would enjoy the freedom of choice even if they never used it.

floke
June 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I think so; although it could get confusing - say, if you changed your name (Steve.K is now available!) and someone else grabbed RAV TUX. I wasn't even angling for the mods to change my name, I just let them know that I had set up a new account and that they could delete the old one if they wanted to. I guess someone must've been in a good mood :)

yabbadabbadont
June 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM
It wouldn't be too confusing as all of your old posts should now show up under the new name. At least, if it were implemented correctly it would work like that. Then when your average user checks her posts, she would see that the names of the people with whom she had been conversing would have changed.

steveneddy
June 24th, 2007, 11:16 PM

You are such a tattle tale!

I'm tellin'!

yabbadabbadont
June 25th, 2007, 12:30 AM
You are such a tattle tale!

I'm tellin'!

You obviously didn't bother to read the last sentence of my post... :p :D

steveneddy
June 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM
You obviously didn't bother to read the last sentence of my post... :p :D

OK - well - nevermind.

You're no fun to play with anymore.

I'm going /home.

yabbadabbadont
June 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM
OK - well - nevermind.

You're no fun to play with anymore.

I'm going /home.

Well, since one of the mods decided to merge three of our different word games into one thread (which pretty much messed up all three), I don't really feel like playing any more. :(

(I wonder were I put my Gentoo live DVD....)

RedSquirrel
June 25th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I haven't changed my username and I have no plans to do so.

Well, since one of the mods decided to merge three of our different word games into one thread (which pretty much messed up all three), I don't really feel like playing any more. :(

I just noticed that. That is rather annoying. :mad::sad::confused:

I rather enjoyed the "Chain word association thread". Sigh.

RAV TUX
June 25th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I think so; although it could get confusing - say, if you changed your name (Steve.K is now available!) and someone else grabbed RAV TUX. I wasn't even angling for the mods to change my name, I just let them know that I had set up a new account and that they could delete the old one if they wanted to. I guess someone must've been in a good mood :)

Must have been a fluke.

It wouldn't be too confusing as all of your old posts should now show up under the new name. At least, if it were implemented correctly it would work like that. Then when your average user checks her posts, she would see that the names of the people with whom she had been conversing would have changed.

As long as the user # doesn't change the display name is no different than an avatar.

No need to leave Ubuntu, just respond to all three games in the same thread, it is odd that they merged 3 different threads into one.

I haven't changed my username and I have no plans to do so.

I just noticed that. That is rather annoying. :mad::sad::confused:

I rather enjoyed the "Chain word association thread". Sigh.

Chain-word, mid-word association games are alive and well just play them in the same thread.

yabbadabbadont
June 25th, 2007, 02:46 AM
No need to leave Ubuntu
I've been wiping it and installing different flavors on a fairly regular basis for the last month or so anyway. It's not a big deal since I have a separate home partition and I backup /etc before installing a new distribution. I only do a minimal install with xorg and fluxbox, so it doesn't take long to restore.

just respond to all three games in the same thread, it is odd that they merged 3 different threads into one.
Too much bother for a game. I imagine it was a mistake by one of the new mods. I was accidentally banned by one of them for reporting spam last week. :lol: They discovered their mistake and got me unbanned before I even noticed. It was nice of them to PM me to let me know what had happened though.

RedSquirrel
June 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Too much bother for a game.

I agree. Perhaps we should just leave "Word Association" the way it was originally. Just my $0.02.

I wonder if we could find out if there's a good reason they merged them or if it was a simple mistake. If it was a mistake, maybe we could just start them again.

(My life will go on without these "word association" games, but I dont' mind saying they were fun. :D)

RAV TUX
June 25th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I agree. Perhaps we should just leave "Word Association" the way it was originally. Just my $0.02.

I wonder if we could find out if there's a good reason they merged them or if it was a simple mistake. If it was a mistake, maybe we could just start them again.

(My life will go on without these "word association" games, but I dont' mind saying they were fun. :D)

I've been wiping it and installing different flavors on a fairly regular basis for the last month or so anyway. It's not a big deal since I have a separate home partition and I backup /etc before installing a new distribution. I only do a minimal install with xorg and fluxbox, so it doesn't take long to restore.

Too much bother for a game. I imagine it was a mistake by one of the new mods. I was accidentally banned by one of them for reporting spam last week. :lol: They discovered their mistake and got me unbanned before I even noticed. It was nice of them to PM me to let me know what had happened though.

perhaps someone could start a thread in the resolution center? or PM someone?

yabbadabbadont
June 25th, 2007, 03:18 AM
perhaps someone could start a thread in the resolution center? or PM someone?

Too much bother for a game... ;)

RAV TUX
June 25th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Too much bother for a game... ;)

yeah your right....

RedSquirrel
June 25th, 2007, 03:33 AM
yeah your right....
I don't think they broke any rules anyhow.

I have replied in the word association thread with just one word in the hopes that the game can continue in its original format. Hope that's OK.

steveneddy
June 25th, 2007, 03:33 AM
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476022) is still going. It's stupid, but fun.

steveneddy
June 25th, 2007, 03:35 AM

Aw, crap. (*whispers - can i say that here?)

RAV TUX
June 25th, 2007, 03:36 AM
we have evolved from the word games to the:

Image Request Game (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=483585)

steveneddy
June 25th, 2007, 04:19 AM
COOL!

I'm there.

(You have no idea how boring my life is)

forrestcupp
June 25th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Hey, about name changes. What about az? His name used to be azz. What happened there?