PDA

View Full Version : OSX on a hyperthreaded P4, is it possible??

odiseo77
June 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hi people, lately I've heard something about Intel Macs, but I'm not sure what's all this about; so, since I've tried windows, linux, free-BSD, etc, I'm thinking it would be cool to try out OSX just to see what's this OS about (I've heard it's astonishing, so I'd like to try it out). So, my questions are:

1.- Is there a specific version of OSX for the Intel architecture?

2.- In case the answer to the above question is affirmative, will it run on a hyperthreaded Pentium 4 machine? (hyperthreading technology, afaik, emulates two processors on a single one). My specs are the following:

P4 64 bits with hyperthreaded technology, as a said before (3.0 Ghz)
1 GB of ram
VIA motherboard

(I can't give you the specific hardware details right now like models, etc., because I'm at work, so I have to wait to get home in order to check these details, but if it's necessary, just tell me and I will as soon as I get home).

Thanks in advance, and excuse me for my ignorance regarding Macs and OSX (I've never put my hands on a Mac, so I'm completely ignorant about it :oops: :D )

Greetings.

iamhugeinjapan
June 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
1) yes

2) OS X is designed to only install on Apple computers. It's not designed to be run on any machine you want. However certain enterprising people have hacked it to install (illegally) on various non-Apple computers. I don't feel it's appropriate to give you any pointers on that here though, so you'll need to do your own investigation.

I have heard talk of VMware images of OS X working on other computers via VMware Player/Server/Workstation, but I've never seen it myself. I'm not sure what the legal issues with that are.

odiseo77
June 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Hi iamhugeinjapan, thanks for your answer. Well, I've been doing my investigation and I found a link to the hacked version of OSX you're talking about, but I don't feel like installing it... too bad I need to buy a Mac machine to install OSX (I mean, they're so expensive, at least here in Venezuela, and I don't feel like buying one only for experimental purposes (I'm not a graphic designer, so...)). As for vmware, I don't like emulators very much; if I have to run a windows specific app (mostly games), I just switch to windows, the rest of the time I work on linux.

Thanks for your answer anyway ;)

seps1816
May 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hi iamhugeinjapan, thanks for your answer. Well, I've been doing my investigation and I found a link to the hacked version of OSX you're talking about, but I don't feel like installing it... too bad I need to buy a Mac machine to install OSX (I mean, they're so expensive, at least here in Venezuela, and I don't feel like buying one only for experimental purposes (I'm not a graphic designer, so...)). As for vmware, I don't like emulators very much; if I have to run a windows specific app (mostly games), I just switch to windows, the rest of the time I work on linux.

Thanks for your answer anyway ;)

any chance can share that link im wondering if i can do the same thing on my p4, I really like garage band

LaRoza
May 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
any chance can share that link im wondering if i can do the same thing on my p4, I really like garage band

This thread is against the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.

It isn't the subject for this forum. Keep it legal people.