PDA

View Full Version : forum etiquette

colddayinapril
June 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to ubuntu, but I've managed to get through the bigger brier patches in the last 2 weeks, and found myself to be pretty comfy with the new OS... in fact, I love it :D

My ease of use with the new system has come primarily from help recieved through these forums. After using the forums for several weeks, I've come up with a bit of a tricky question regarding proper etiquette in technical help forums.

Once your issue has been resolved, should one post a thank you reply to the thread letting everyone know what suggestion worked and how well. The problem as I see it, is this:

If you post a thank you, you A) let everyone know that you appreciate thier help, and B) you let everyone know that the sugestions worked, so that other people can use the same advice in the future with more confidince, and it also makes the thread more valuble when it's pulled up from a search (if i see a thread where a guy actualy got his dvd player, wireless card, ets working, i'll pay attention more).

On the other hand, if you post a thank you, you bump the thread for (possibly) no good reason, taking up space at the top of the list from threads relating to problems that hav'nt been resolved.

...so, what do you guys think?

PS
i know this dos'nt matter much, but i'm bored, and it's just one of those little things that buggs me :D

PriceChild
June 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
My preference is for you to say thankyou, its polite and will let others know what worked... that's a good enough reason for it to be a decent post, and you not have to worry about bumping it to the top.

You can also edit > advanced edit > "Mark this checkbox if your thread is resolved" to give the thread a "resolved" tag on the subforum view pages.

Tundro Walker
June 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Not sure about other forums, but in the "Absolute Beginners" forum, the unofficial thing to do is edit your post title to say [RESOLVED], that way folks will know that thread is worth pursuing for whatever problem the rest of the title is about.

I think re-titling a post from...

"My USB HD doesn't work with Ubuntu!"

...to...

"[RESOLVED] My USB HD doesn't work with Ubuntu!"

...is really all the thanks 99% of the forum helpers need. It's like flagging territory they've conquered, and gives a sense of accomplishment.

colddayinapril
June 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
sounds good to me...

[RESOLVED]

:D