PDA

View Full Version : web hosting

vega44
July 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
what do you use for a paid hosting? what do you think of www.godaddy.com and what do you think is a good host out there?

GEEZ! what do you think of this one.
http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/home.dspPage/page/info.dspUnixHosting

cdk
July 11th, 2005, 08:26 PM
i am friends with the guy who runs www.serve7.com The site is really basic but thats because he deals mostly with industrial type business that just want a good price and stability. If you interesed i can get you a price break. email me at admin@linuxcitizen.com

As for godaddy i find them to be excellent. I use them for all of my domains and i know serve7 does too.

cheers,
CDK

<---LinuxCitizen.Com--->

eBopBob
July 11th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't touch IXWebHosting with a barge pole. Have you seen their prices? Don't be fooled by their cheap prices and large amounts of space and bandwidth... or be fooled if you like, but don't then come back crying.

Firstly I'm sceptical as to whether you would be able to use all of your bandwidth, secondly I wouldn't be surprised if they oversold and also overloaded their servers, and for that price I'm wondering what sort of technical support you'll get.

Web hosting, despite prices being at an all-time low, is still not at the level to be able to offer such prices, and still offer a respectable level of customer service. There are multiple companies offering such things, although if all of their clients started using all of their web space and bandwidth and started submitting at least two tickets per night, those companies would have major problems.

Although I've never used GoDaddy for web hosting, or domains, there are many people who do use them - so they cannot be all that bad; although having said that, I have heard of people who have had problems, but of course all companies have their problems.

pietro_spina
July 11th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I'm currently looking myself and have gotten turned off by godaddy, because every time I come across a parked domain for sale, it's hosted by them... (not really true, but sometimes it seems like it)

now, I'm all for a free market, but it does get frustrating sometimes...

When looking up possible domains for a friend we found like 7 of 10 parked/for sale by the same one horse operation machine parts supplier in Georgia. (I presume it's some guy that ordered a "how to make money on the internet fast" guide from late night TV.)

but that's just my narrow minded opinion...

good luck.
p

WildTangent
July 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM
ya, i hate these people that just buy up domains so you have to pay their price to get it :-x myself, i have my own webserver, however, a domain wouldnt be too bad :)

-Wild