PDA

View Full Version : "Unbuntu"

Old Pink
June 23rd, 2007, 02:06 AM
Seen this word linked with Ubuntu many a time, at first I thought it was a joke from people who disliked Ubuntu, like Microsoft becoming Microscum, because of the "Un" prefix

Recently, however I saw it on Slashdot, here (http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/22/151233&from=rss), Google reports it's been used over 244,000 times and it's use is slowly increasing, especially in France. (source (http://www.google.com/trends?q=unbuntu&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0))

Surely it can't be a slur at Ubuntu? And it doesn't seem to be a spelling mistake either, Unbuntu.com actually redirects to Ubuntu.com!

Anyone shed some light on this?

juxtaposed
June 23rd, 2007, 02:08 AM
Pretty sure it's a spelling mistake by people who read the word ubuntu too fast and see an extra N there.

Old Pink
June 23rd, 2007, 02:15 AM
244,000 times? ;)

"Ubuntu" has only been typed/published 51,500,000 times. That means one in every two hundred instances of people typing Ubuntu is spelt wrong? :(

Kingsley
June 23rd, 2007, 02:20 AM
It's not as prevalent as "Ubunto"

Old Pink
June 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
It's not as prevalent as "Ubunto"You're right! :o

Maybe they are just spelling mistakes, after all. But Slashdot?!

Motoxrdude
June 23rd, 2007, 02:35 AM
HAHah, i didn't even see the extra 'n' in the title.

jkblacker
June 23rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
Google searches for both 'unbuntu' (spelled it right first time and had to think about spelling it wrong!) and 'ubunto' offer 'Did you mean ubuntu?' at the top.

Old Pink
June 23rd, 2007, 02:39 AM
Google searches for both 'unbuntu' (spelled it right first time and had to think about spelling it wrong!) and 'ubunto' offer 'Did you mean ubuntu?' at the top.Ubuntuforums search doesn't. ;)

I cannot believe people visit Ubuntu Forums and spell Ubuntu wrong. :P

rocknrolf77
June 23rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Maybe it's ubuntu for the UN (http://www.un.org/) \\:D/

Old Pink
June 23rd, 2007, 02:47 AM
HAHah, i didn't even see the extra 'n' in the title.

I've lost hope. ;)

Haha, I guess some people are just less tuned to that kind of thing. :)

Old Pink
June 23rd, 2007, 02:50 AM
Quote from these forums:

I hit the start or install and it goes and brings uip the unbunto symbol and a bar that loads but after that i get a blinking line in the top left corner for a couple of seconds and then nothing I just would like a step by step directions on how to install this onto my computer I am using a blank HD.

Unbunto. That's a step to far. ;)

Maybe he/she was under influence.

juxtaposed
June 23rd, 2007, 03:04 AM
Quote from these forums:

Unbunto. That's a step to far. ;)

Maybe he/she was under influence.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Unbuntu-Live-CD-How-get-to-run-t48097.html

It was noted in the old thread that Ubunutu is Gnome that some people don't like as much as KDE, but you can install the KDE desktop environment after install Ubuntu and have the option of using which ever one you like!

:/

BigSilly
June 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
A mate of mine constantly refers to it as "Umbuntu", because he's confusing it with Um Bongo! I don't even bother correcting him anymore since it's actually pretty funny. By the way, here in the UK Um Bongo was a popular fruit juice drink years ago. Dunno if you'll have heard of it world wide.

jkblacker
June 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
A mate of mine constantly refers to it as "Umbuntu", because he's confusing it with Um Bongo! I don't even bother correcting him anymore since it's actually pretty funny. By the way, here in the UK Um Bongo was a popular fruit juice drink years ago. Dunno if you'll have heard of it world wide.

Um Bungo!

On a related note, while all my non-techie friends and family are impressed by Ubuntu (especially Beryl, naturally), none of them can remember how to pronounce it. I fear letting them try and spell it would result in armageddon.

ankursethi
June 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
So what we have here is :
Unubuntu
Unubonto
Ubonto
Ubuntu
Unubunto
Ubunutu
Um Bungo (?)(!)

What next? Unbunotu? Unbuntoo? Unoobuntoo? Ubunito? The Klatchian Foreign Legion?