PDA

View Full Version : Most Efficent Ubuntu Release

Skia_42
June 22nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone, I have been an Ubuntu User for roughly a year now and would like to voice a question/concern. It seems as if Ubuntu has become a little slower between 6.06 and 7.04. I need to reinstall my operating system because of some major tinkering. I was wondering whether there were any major speed advantages between the versions 6.06, 6.10 and 7.04 in comparison to the features offered. I couldn't find any threads addressing the topic but any links would be more then welcome. Any thoughts?

phrostbyte
June 22nd, 2007, 11:27 PM
Do you mean bootup time? I think Fiesty boots up faster then Dapper. As far as response time, they are both fast. But I have a pretty fast computer. Fiesty is a major improvement over Dapper in my opinion though, it's feels more polished and modern (and only one year older).

Skia_42
June 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
I was focussing more on general usage then boot time. I also am working with 512mb so some swap space will probably help speed things up.

PatrickMay16
June 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
How much memory do you have in your computer? It seems to me like Edgy and Feisty both use more memory than Dapper does.

diatribe
June 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM
feisty and edgy both worked fast when I had 512 ram, I would say feisty is slightly fast though

FuturePilot
June 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
I've actually found Feisty to be extremely fast, but Dapper to be the most stable.

whayong
June 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM
Never tried Dapper. Fiesty was faster then Edgy for me in my system. UbuntuStudio 7.04 on the other hand worked the fastest for my lappy (specs in my sig).

az
June 23rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
I guess your mileage may vary. I find Feisty faster than Dapper in both boot time and performance at regular tasks.

SoulinEther
June 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
I've run Edgy and Feisty only... I've only ever had 512 megs ram, and I'm impressed to find now that out of the 2 gigs of swap I have (combination of several hard drives' swap), 31 megs are used. (226 ram)

Normally it's at zero. Unless you're doing some intense stuff with your ram, swap won't ever be used.

Feisty seems to run better than Edgy for me. Feels better, faster.

Nekiruhs
June 23rd, 2007, 01:58 AM
I've had Edgy and Feisty. So far Feisty has been faster for me. Although both were fast with my 2 GB RAM and 2 GB Swap.