PDA

View Full Version : Best Wiki software?

RAV TUX
June 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
I have been researching Wiki's...

Currently using TikiWiki, but both MediaWiki(used by Wikipedia) and MoinMoin Wiki(used by Debian, Ubuntu, & Fedora) look awesome...

For those who admin , use, or host Wiki's which do you find to be the best (according to you) and why?

phrostbyte
June 23rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
I like MediaWiki cause it's what Wikipedia uses (and I familar with their wikicode) :)

az
June 23rd, 2007, 12:47 AM
What exactly do you need? On a site I manage which uses Drupal. I though about tacking on a wiki using different software, but realised that I could just create another content type in Drupal and make it world-writable as well as use revisions. Although there is no wiki markup (who needs that anyway) I got the benefits of community contribution using the tools I already had.

SoulinEther
June 23rd, 2007, 01:09 AM
MediaWiki... it's the most familiar, in my opinion, and easy to set up. Plus, it runs with a MySQL database and PHP, so you don't have to hunt down a server with Python support.

RAV TUX
June 23rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
What exactly do you need? On a site I manage which uses Drupal. I though about tacking on a wiki using different software, but realised that I could just create another content type in Drupal and make it world-writable as well as use revisions. Although there is no wiki markup (who needs that anyway) I got the benefits of community contribution using the tools I already had.

Actually after testing several Wiki's out I have decided to try out Drupal for now. I use Drupal for several other sites. I may see how it goes for a while...I am trying to decide if I should use mediawiki....

luca.b
June 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Choice of wiki depends much on what you want to do. Mediawiki is overkill for small realities: personally (but it's an one-man wiki) I use DokuWiki to handle my laboratory notes.

bobbocanfly
June 23rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
I would recommend MediaWiki. It is stable enough to be used on one of the busiest websites on earth and whats more its very very easy to install. Only downside is that for the newest versions you must have PHP5 installled on your server

az
June 23rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Only downside is that for the newest versions you must have PHP5 installled on your server

You would run a site under PHP4? I wouldn't accept that - it's too insecure.

bobbocanfly
June 23rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
You would run a site under PHP4? I wouldn't accept that - it's too insecure.

I know, i use PHP5 for everything but not every host out there will upgrade to PHP5 (ones that use cPanel for example).

dzoner
June 23rd, 2007, 12:35 PM
I like MediaWiki cause it's what Wikipedia uses (and I familar with their wikicode) :)

same here :)

az
June 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I know, i use PHP5 for everything but not every host out there will upgrade to PHP5 (ones that use cPanel for example).

My hosting provider uses PHP5 and cPanel...

afljafa
June 23rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Problem with many wikis is that they are either too complicated to use or administer. I like wakowiki - it`s lite and easy to setup.

I use it for a small mythtv wiki I have set up. http://mythtv.goldtel.com.au

RAV TUX
June 24th, 2007, 03:54 AM
My hosting provider uses PHP5 and cPanel...

I emailed my host with a request to upgrade to PHP5, I'll see what happens.

Problem with many wikis is that they are either too complicated to use or administer. I like wakowiki - it`s lite and easy to setup.

I use it for a small mythtv wiki I have set up. http://mythtv.goldtel.com.au

Nice, compact, easy wiki site you have there.

jonjonz
July 17th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I use Mediawiki, but be forwarned the last Ubuntu build was 1.4.14 and the current general release is 1.10+ something.

It looks like no one is bothering to maintain a Ubuntu build since 1.4.14.

Most new plugins for Mediawiki require 1.5 or better.

az
July 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I use Mediawiki, but be forwarned the last Ubuntu build was 1.4.14 and the current general release is 1.10+ something.

It looks like no one is bothering to maintain a Ubuntu build since 1.4.14.

Most new plugins for Mediawiki require 1.5 or better.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=mediawiki
Feisty has version 1.7 and Gutsy 1.9. If no one is bothering to maintain it, that's your opportunity to jump in and do it. Can we count on you?

But anyway, your server is supposed to be stable. I don't recommend you install web applications using the package manager anyway. Your server infrastructure should remain solid and you are free to upgrade your web applications seperately.

As well, you may need to install multiple instances of a web application and you just can't do that with the package manager.