PDA

View Full Version : On my 4th drivin licence (UK)

moffatt666
June 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Has anyone seen the new photocards? I thought the DVLA were pulling a fast one on me until I read the accompanying leaflet.
Summary:
Black and white photo instead of a colour one
Thicker card
Made from polycarbonate (riot shield material)
Raised lettering in certain places
New design
Holograms
Steering wheels both solid and holographic

And if anyone asks,
1st - Provisional
2nd - Motorbike (full)
3rd - Car (full)
4th (current) - Change of address.

regomodo
July 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
wait. do we have to get one now that they've changed the design? i am currently on my 3rd (keep moving house)

prizrak
July 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
Better example would be scratch resistant lenses ;) Quite a bit more common and more people have seen those than riot shields ;)

christhemonkey
July 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Have my driving test coming up, wasnt aware they had changed the licenses now since i got my provisional!

PriceChild
July 2nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
*grimaces at the photo on his license...* Not a word Hobbsee! :)

What was wrong with the old one? :S

moffatt666
July 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
*grimaces at the photo on his license...* Not a word Hobbsee! :)

What was wrong with the old one? :S

Apparently it wasn't secure enough as the photo was printed on in the usual way then the card was laminated whereas now the image is 'burnt' onto the plastic.

Polycarbonate is also used to make unbreakable pint glasses - quite appropriate seeing as the driving licence is a popular form of ID in pubs/clubs.

Tundro Walker
July 2nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Thicker card

Finally! A driver's license that makes a half-way decent ice-scraper...;)

EDIT: I just thought of something...can the license now be considered a concealed, deadly weapon? Just sharpen one edge, and you can fend off muggers! Brilliant!

FurryNemesis
July 2nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Finally? My old pink one can cut through frost |----| that thick, used it to clear my car from a snowdrift more than once.

Also...

I really wish it wasn't pink.

Fenryr
July 2nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
Hell, you've got it EASY...I've got three licenses CURRENTLY in my wallet...ALL valid, and all EXPENSIVE...I'm now licensed for 'Heavy Articulated' vehicles in the US, AU, and NZ...They're all pretty much the same, they quit actualy laminating the pics into most cards years ago, and embedded holograms are old news...The polycarbonate is a nice touch, though, as another poster noted, at least NOW you have a decent emergency ice scraper...*g*

Stex
July 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
I just got a new one thanks to my short term licenses, the new one looks horrible and dingey next to the old one. Damn greyscale, makes the picture even worse. And as my friend said: what if my colour saturated twin steals my license?

Didn't notice the new material, it picks up greasy fingerprints a treat! All in all this is an outrage, affecting the very fabric of my life. Or, at least, it kind of annoyed me when I first saw it.