PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu application search

EdTheUniqueGeek
June 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
I am looking for a personal daily journal (log) application for Linux, specifically Ubuntu.
An example of what I am looking for is something similar to MacJournal for Mac OS 10 (http://www.marinersoftware.com/sitepage.php?page=85).
Does anyone know of anything?
I've tried creating a simple database with a form in Open Office's Database but that portion of the suite is not very user friendly.
Thanks in advance.

EdTheUniqueGeek
June 23rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
Bump

EdTheUniqueGeek
June 26th, 2007, 07:36 PM
No one knows of anything?

Dragonbite
June 26th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I'm trying to figure out what it really does, other than integrates a word processor with blogging? How is it you use it?

I may be interseted it something like this for some journaling apsects but I'm not 100% sure what exactly it does (as to whether or not it does what I would want it to).

What about running WinJournal in Wine?

EdTheUniqueGeek
June 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out what it really does, other than integrates a word processor with blogging? How is it you use it?

MacJournal?
MacJournal is, like WinJournal, a personal journal program with security so that you can write down your own entries for your own personal thoughts and keep it locked. However, it does include blogging functions for your public blog.
I want something like that for my own personal, private journal (with security) in Ubuntu. I own a Mac and $35 isn't that much money but if there is something similar in open source for free in Ubuntu, then so much the better.
If I can't find anything for Ubuntu, then I may end up buying MacJournal for my Mac. It has other excellent features so $35 may be worth it.

@trophy
June 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
MacJournal?
MacJournal is, like WinJournal, a personal journal program with security so that you can write down your own entries for your own personal thoughts and keep it locked. However, it does include blogging functions for your public blog.
I want something like that for my own personal, private journal (with security) in Ubuntu. I own a Mac and $35 isn't that much money but if there is something similar in open source for free in Ubuntu, then so much the better.
If I can't find anything for Ubuntu, then I may end up buying MacJournal for my Mac. It has other excellent features so $35 may be worth it.

If you can't find anything open source I'll write you one for a small fee... say $30? I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I'd be suprised if there wasn't an open source one out there...

cheetah
November 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I'm also looking for a journal application like this.. EdTheUniqueGeek, did you manage to find one?

igknighted
November 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM
This feature is part of Kontact, the KDE PIM. It does a lot more (rss aggregation, email, calender, etc.), but the journal/log portion is very good.

EdTheUniqueGeek
November 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I never found anything. I ended up just buying MacJournal for my MacBook.

Malimbar04
February 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I also own a mac (and macjournal) and have been looking around for a simular open-source program on ubuntu, as I've been slowly moving all my stuff to the "other side" of my computer.

Kontact is probably the the closest thing I'v found so far, with it's journal section. It's not quite as polished, but it is certainly capable.

I personally don't care about the moving to online journal features, I just wanted a secure, auto-dating, easily browsing journal application. Writing in text files (or open office) and copying over to separate files and naming them after the date... is painful.

do we have any other ideas yet?

sujoy
February 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM
you can just hack up a quick script that creates a file named with the current date in a predefined folder, checks if it exists and then opens it with your favourite editor.

qwill
February 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Have you tried Tomboy ?
Qwill

Benboom
May 12th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Wow, I was searching for exactly the same thing. I love MacJournal on my Mac (I started out with Z-Write - remember that?) and I'm trying to find an Ubuntu equivalent. Results are disappointing so far.

monsterstack
May 12th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I do lots of daily text-editing. Not for journals, but I usually have something like this

alias diary=nano ~/scripts/$(date "+%Y-%b-%d-%A.txt")

in my bash alias. Then whenever I type "diary" into the terminal, it opens up a text file for that day. Still this all seems a bit not-what-you-really-want.

I'd suggest Zim (http://zim-wiki.org/) [zim-wiki.org]. It purports to be a sort of desktop-wiki. But you could use it for diary-keeping purposes no problem. It has built-in scheduling stuff at least for important to-do stuff included. You can also put links all over your entries, too. In my experience it's been a really fast way to get writing projects up and running.

23meg
May 12th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Here are a few:

http://www.gnomefiles.org/subcategory.php?sub_cat_id=73

Benboom
May 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
. It purports to be a sort of desktop-wiki. But you could use it for diary-keeping purposes no problem. It has built-in scheduling stuff at least for important to-do stuff included. You can also put links all over your entries, too. In my experience it's been a really fast way to get writing projects up and running.

Zim is actually closer to MacJournal than anything else I've found so far. It's kind of user-unfriendly when approached as a substitute for MacJournal, but it has some nice points too. Thanks for the link!