PDA

View Full Version : Is there someone that just comes up with the idea?

TreeFinger
June 22nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
I have so many good ideas for programs. Tonight the idea for a new type of FPS (first person shooter) video game popped into my head. I also have ideas for other programs. Right now I do not have the experience to code them myself.

Well I guess my thread turned into hiring coders for a new FPS game project ;)

To make my post a little more meaningful I would like to know if Ubuntu or any other Linux distros are able to run games as smoothly (if designed for the Linux platform) as games designed for Windows.

AlexThomson_NZ
June 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Yep- no reason why there should be any difference between linux and windows on the same hardware.

Might I suggest trying to create mods (especially for a FPS) rather than re-inventing the wheel though.

What's this idea of yours?

TreeFinger
June 22nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Hah, well I don't want someone stealing my idea!
I'd like an example of your programming on Linux (C++, OpenGL)!

FuturePast
June 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Is there someone that just comes up with the idea?

Yes. They are called "a client". But I think you've figured that out ;)

5-HT
June 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
Yes. They are called "a client".
:lolflag:

Tomosaur
June 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM

Ideas cannot be stolen, they can only be shared. If we each have an idea, and we exchange ideas, then we each have TWO ideas. If we each have an apple, and we exchange apples, then we each have one apple.

In any case, games are generally pretty large projects, if you want someone to code it for you, you're going to need to give them some incentive to do it.

lingnoi
June 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM

Believe me. Whatever you have its already been thought of. Ideas in the gaming business are plenty and arn't worth anything. Thats not to say your idea is worthless just that telling people you have an amazing idea but you're not going to share it isn't really that amazing..

If you want a list of open source FPS games that also run on Linux take a look at the free games list (http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2001/01/free-games-list.html)

flummoxed
June 22nd, 2007, 07:27 PM

I think you're missing the point of Open Source entirely...

theonlyalterego
June 22nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Believe me. Whatever you have its already been thought of. Ideas in the gaming business are plenty and arn't worth anything. Thats not to say your idea is worthless just that telling people you have an amazing idea but you're not going to share it isn't really that amazing..

If you want a list of open source FPS games that also run on Linux take a look at the free games list (http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2001/01/free-games-list.html)

1) Share your idea, otherwise why would anyone say 'sure I'll help build something I know nothing about'
2) Setup a site to host your ideas, and to allow potential developers to collaborate/register/contribute
3) Build the basics. 90% of games fail because nobody sticks with them, just having a million ideas isn't worth anything if you don't build on them. You need to show the development communtiy that you'll stick to your idea to the bitter end. When they know you're commited, and if they like the idea, you'll get other people to help code the game. But the first step is the hardest, proving your idea is worth their time, and then getting people onto the project.

AlexThomson_NZ
June 22nd, 2007, 09:09 PM

First of all- It'll be open-source so not only can people "steal" the idea, they can "steal" the code. (In any case, wouldn't you want someone to "steal" your idea, build it, and save you all the work).

Secondly- please be clear I am in NO WAY volunteering! Not only have next to no interest in games, or developing code for other people in my spare time (I already do that full-time), I don't believe your idea (whatever it is) will likely succeed. Sounds harsh- but I have been on the NeHe and directX forums for years, and have seen literally 100's of these "I have an idea" threads. 0% have succeeded.

Thirdly- if I wanted to show you an example of my code (I am a Java web dev by trade- I have done some of the online apps linked to from www.nzqa.govt.nz if you really want to see some of my work), could you tell me of some of the successful projects you have lead?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, I really do wish you the best of luck, but I think you are probably a bit inexperienced to lead a project like this. As I said, take an existing engine (there are plenty) and modify it.