PDA

View Full Version : Nitro RC

mikeypizano
June 22nd, 2007, 02:52 AM
How many of us are into Nitro RC here? If I ever get a decal kit, I want to put a Ubuntu logo on my buggy.

5-HT
June 22nd, 2007, 03:00 AM
/me was thinking nitro kernel patchset rc
*slowly walks backwards*

mips
June 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
I always wanted a Chopper or a large scale Plane. To expensive though.

mikeypizano
June 23rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Helis are really fun but they are too hard to learn. Me and my dad got a small electric one to try and learn and just can't.

kaivalagi
December 24th, 2008, 02:18 PM
In an attempt to revive this thread...

Long long ago when I was in my teens I used to race electric buggies (schumacher cats) with my dad at weekends...now I have a son, I wanted to get back into RC again with him eventually, but with Nitro based cars this time around instead ;)

So....I just bought us (me really, he is only 5 :) ) a new Nitro car. I ended up getting a HPI MT2 G3.0 (http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.php?partNo=10411&lang=en)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2855750895_00d9ab59e9.jpg?v=0

This is the first time with Nitro stuff for me, so it is all new territory. I have just run in the car with 10%, and have tuned it and am now on 20%.

If all goes well I'll make the transition into racing with a more suitable car and when my son is a little more grown up, but for now a "stadium truck" will do us just fine...

I have just ordered a failsafe for the car, and some spare plugs...and have my eye on my aluminium upgrades for when I trash the steering assembly / wishbones etc

Other bits I am eye balling are a 2.4Ghz radio, K&N air filter and tuned pipe, but all that will be some way off yet...

Any one out there got an MT2?...have you upgraded any bits yet? Any advice you can give to a Nitro newbie?

pelle.k
December 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Owned a couple of electric cars, and one metanol car. I ran it with 20% nitro, and did kick some serious butt. Only 3,5 CCs (0.21cu.in) though.
It was 2WD only, so you had to be careful with the steering. Great for drifting though.

Helis are really fun but they are too hard to learn. Me and my dad got a small electric one to try and learn and just can't.
I bought a coaxial lama v3, and it's not a "real" heli, but it does give you a general idea of how a heli performs in flight if you're used to flying fixed wing. It's great fun, and it can take a severe beating too.
I'm flying nose ins without breaking a sweat now.
I also bought a "wind dragon, sport" to brush up my old fixed wing flying skills. It's great fun, but the heli is more fun me thinks.

Well, my coax was like $80 (RTF, 4 channel), and my wing dragon $90 (RTF, 4 channel), but granted, these are not "the real thing", but they are great fun...
I recommend you try either of them out. Cheap to crash. You should never start out with an expensive model, because it's giong to end in tears.

EnGorDiaz
December 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM

when i was 15 i was gunna get a helicopter and puts a cam on it and get a controller with lcd to see where im going

EnGorDiaz
December 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
/me was thinking nitro kernel patchset rc
*slowly walks backwards*

yeah you back away actualy run away :P

mips
December 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
You should never start out with an expensive model, because it's giong to end in tears.

I've seen the look on the faces of grown men that crashed their helis, pretty sure there was tears in their eyes.

psycosmyth
December 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Nice thread!!!!
I had to quit due to addiction and debt, really.
I love 1/8 buggies the most but the simplicity of 1/10 electric is hard to resist too. Many of the companies have over-reached their target audience though, Losi makes too many RTR's and Tamiya is weakening in the US.
HPI has been a good leader though, nice pic!!
My favorite was my SportWerks Mayhem, the track nearly banned them because they were too victorious. :P
My son still has some parts lying around for a couple of Traxxas models.

kaivalagi
December 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
My favorite was my SportWerks Mayhem, the track nearly banned them because they were too victorious. :P

I just took a look at the specs on rcuniverse, that is some serious gear...

I can't wait for Boxing day, I'll be taking out the MT2 for a proper spin then :)

AlanR8
December 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM
As a hobby, I fly RC nitro Helis.

My Heli of choice is a Raptor 90 that I converted to a Quick UK V-MAX last Xmas, a real beast!

I won't go into details here other than to say it's a great and fascinating hobby. I'm lead to believe from full size heli pilots that the RC version is harder (in some ways) to fly.

If you want to know more, visit my website, that's not been updated for about a year at:

www.heliweb.co.uk

Enjoy!