PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Rant

daynah
June 22nd, 2007, 02:19 AM
I just bought an Asus W7S. It's only been out on the market for like a month and apparently it's too new. Vista (what it came with) had a problem with thinking the "wireless on" button was the bluetooth on button''' thus I couldn't turn on wireless till I changed thi key bindings. Come to find out that my college wireless bans Vista in some, but not all of the buildings. I have many tests this week, I dont have time for the 45 mins it takes to install Ubuntu, so I go with Vista and... omg I'm so furious.

Anyway, I figure that I'd be more productive with a computer that has predictable wireless, and I understand Ubuntu, so I install. I get some tty error. I move past that... Now I Ubuntu says I don't have a screen. Didn't I pay the extra money for nvidia so that wouldn't happen?

I don't really know who I'm mad at, I guess just the situation, but let it be known that I am mad. Very, very mad.

I want to do my homework in bed. I paid a lot of money to do that and I shold be able to do that. Isn't that the American dream, to be as much of a sloth as possible?

SOME operating system should work. Just gimme one! By golly if it's Gentoo then someone best sit their cute litte patooty down and help me install it because I now have a computer that it not fully functioning!

yabbadabbadont
June 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
It's only been out on the market for like a month
Don't ever expect something that new to work in linux. For that matter, I would expect problems with Windows for a few months too. (Until Asus can get their heads out of their collective butts and create proper drivers).

Sorry I don't have a better answer. You may want to keep a close eye on the kernel mailing list to see if/when that motherboard becomes supported.

daynah
June 22nd, 2007, 02:33 AM
I'm not even trying to fix it at this point. I have more of a laptop than my old broken one. I'll just use Vista and a Cat5 until something happens.

Let this be a lesson to ye all!

steveneddy
June 22nd, 2007, 06:14 AM
IMHO - with the "newness" of Vista and the lack of anything stable regarding Vista, I think I would have done a little more homework before buying a laptop with new/untested hardware along with an OS that is new and untested.

It is a sure recipe for disaster.

I know. Hind sight is 20/20, but I learned my lesson a long time ago regarding new hardware and compatibility.

Good luck. Stay in school.

jfinkels
June 22nd, 2007, 06:23 AM
I just bought an Asus W7S. It's only been out on the market for like a month and apparently it's too new. Vista (what it came with) had a problem with thinking the "wireless on" button was the bluetooth on button''' thus I couldn't turn on wireless till I changed thi key bindings. Come to find out that my college wireless bans Vista in some, but not all of the buildings. I have many tests this week, I dont have time for the 45 mins it takes to install Ubuntu, so I go with Vista and... omg I'm so furious.

Anyway, I figure that I'd be more productive with a computer that has predictable wireless, and I understand Ubuntu, so I install. I get some tty error. I move past that... Now I Ubuntu says I don't have a screen. Didn't I pay the extra money for nvidia so that wouldn't happen?

I don't really know who I'm mad at, I guess just the situation, but let it be known that I am mad. Very, very mad.

I want to do my homework in bed. I paid a lot of money to do that and I shold be able to do that. Isn't that the American dream, to be as much of a sloth as possible?

SOME operating system should work. Just gimme one! By golly if it's Gentoo then someone best sit their cute litte patooty down and help me install it because I now have a computer that it not fully functioning!

If you're having a problem, post it in it's own thread. I can't emphasize this enough. The idea with open source is that we can solve any problem if we all pull together as a team. :D

Eric the Grey
June 22nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
That sucks. Personally, if I were you, I'd use the restore option and reload Vista, so that you at least have a working laptop, and then complain repeatedly to whomever is in charge of the school's network until they allow you in. There is no valid reason to block machines running Vista, when there are much worse options out there...

I'm one of those people who will make people's lives miserable until they capitulate to reasonable demands. :)

:cool: Eric the Grey

mips
June 22nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Sometimes the 'one' buttom controls both the wireless & bluetooth if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe try the new Sabayon Beta, final will be out soon. Get the mini edition as it is smaller to test with.

daynah
June 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Someone recently comforted me with the fact that it's an Asus, so... it's not like the devs are going to be skipping over this mobo. For a little bit, I was under the impression (I don't know where I got this, it was late) that I wouldn't be able to get Ubuntu on it till gutsy +1. Ek!

I'm going to drop it over at my geek friend's house and let him try out other distos on it, in case something magically works. It wont. But, you know, he offered, and I wont be losing any data. :)

I'm all joined up to the Kernel mailer list. And my blog now comes up for Ubuntu Asus W7S, so I guess I should post there when I get this all hooked up. :)