PDA

View Full Version : Why is MS trying to access my Port 1863?

coolclassic
June 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM
Nothing better to do but read the stats in my rooter. One of these firewall stats show that 207.46.108.62 (which is MSN) had attempted to access that port (packets in 52, packets out 48 ). As I am 100% kubuntu and have nothing to do with MS, why is this connection being attempted?

PartisanEntity
June 22nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Do you have/use an MSN messenger account?

coolclassic
June 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
No account of any kind with MS

prizrak
June 22nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Some malware can use that port as well perhaps someone got one and it's random scanning machines?

coolclassic
June 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
But the Ip is identified as microsoft so unlikely to be malware.

some_random_noob
June 22nd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Surely it must be your IM client? Is it a hotmail account?

Ultra Magnus
June 22nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
It seems to me that this is probably part of a wider conspiracy - Microsoft is systematically scanning everyones ports so that it can identify all those people who don't use vista to run some kind of auto-assimilation program to force everyone to upgrade to vista!

cunawarit
June 22nd, 2007, 12:46 AM
It seems to me that this is probably part of a wider conspiracy - Microsoft is systematically scanning everyones ports so that it can identify all those people who don't use vista to run some kind of auto-assimilation program to force everyone to upgrade to vista!

It is the AYLABTU program, Microsoft has set us up the bomb! All You Linux Are Belong to Us In Progress!!!

Seriously, loose the paranoia, someone may be up to something odd, but it is very unlikely to be Microsoft. Even if they wer up to something dodgey, they have much bigger targets than some random guy's little PC.

bchaffin72
June 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
From what I found, port 1863 is used by MS Messenger Service. Perhaps the site is trying to determine if you have it installed/running, despite the fact that you are not using Windows.

blah blah blah
June 22nd, 2007, 12:50 AM

So much for running a business to make money.

smoker
June 22nd, 2007, 12:55 AM
But the Ip is identified as microsoft so unlikely to be malware.

it's maybe ms wga authenicating your kubuntu install:popcorn:

stmiller
June 22nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
Windows XP constantly sends packets from your computer to Microsoft. These come from different 'MS services' running in the background. Who knows...

One of the many reasons to stay away from MS.

jfinkels
June 22nd, 2007, 01:08 AM
it's maybe ms wga authenicating your kubuntu install:popcorn:

http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

FuturePilot
June 22nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
They're trying to figure out who to sue when, I mean if they file their so called 200 some patent infringements law suite against Linux.:lolflag:

purdy hate machine
June 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Nothing better to do but read the stats in my rooter.

It’s a special service provided by MS, the purpose of which is to subtly inform you that you have far too much free time on your hands.

steven8
June 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
If your not careful. . .Microsoft will try to enter any unguarded ports. . .

coolclassic
June 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
The assumption here is that I am using homail or instant messaging. I am not using either. As the ip has been confirmed as MS in source then MS must be trawling the internet looking for info. Paranoia now, is MS trawling for illegal copies?

PartisanEntity
June 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
The assumption here is that I am using homail or instant messaging. I am not using either. As the ip has been confirmed as MS in source then MS must be trawling the internet looking for info. Paranoia now, is MS trawling for illegal copies?

Do you share your PC or IP-range? Perhaps someone else used the same network or IP to access MS services earlier.

brim4brim
June 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
You don't have anything running in WINE do you?

I don't know why Ms would want to access your computer. You could always ask them.

samjh
June 22nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Nothing better to do but read the stats in my rooter. One of these firewall stats show that 207.46.108.62 (which is MSN) had attempted to access that port (packets in 52, packets out 48 ). As I am 100% kubuntu and have nothing to do with MS, why is this connection being attempted?If your ISP assigns dynamic IP addresses, your IP at the time could have matched the IP of another user who accessed MSN services earlier. (As others have said, port 1863 is used by MSN Messenger services. GAIM uses that port to access MSN services too.)

PartisanEntity's theory is also a possibility.

I doubt MSN is trawling IP addresses, as that makes no business or operational sense whatsoever.

Enverex
June 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Do you share your PC or IP-range? Perhaps someone else used the same network or IP to access MS services earlier.

Can you paste the output of "netstat" so we can see exactly what's going on? (hard to work out with bits and pieces of info).