PDA

View Full Version : Kind of Ironic....

OhioYJ
June 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Ok so after fixing a customer's PC three times in one month, because of spyware and viruses I decided to install Linux to it, and Windows. I made very sure Windows has no access to the internet at all.

I was a little worried about installing Linux to a customers PC and was worried I might be getting myself into a long series of tech support calls?

After a months time..... Only phone call I got was his new USB keyboard doesn't work in XP, but it works fine in Linux.... :D Go figure.

init1
June 21st, 2007, 11:18 PM
Ok so after fixing a customer's PC three times in one month, because of spyware and viruses I decided to install Linux to it, and Windows. I made very sure Windows has no access to the internet at all.

I was a little worried about installing Linux to a customers PC and was worried I might be getting myself into a long series of tech support calls?

After a months time..... Only phone call I got was his new USB keyboard doesn't work in XP, but it works fine in Linux.... :D Go figure.
Really? I heard that one needed custom drivers for USB keyboards. I guess the support for such things is becoming better.

PartisanEntity
June 21st, 2007, 11:28 PM
Really? I heard that one needed custom drivers for USB keyboards. I guess the support for such things is becoming better.

Hmm I wasn't aware of that, I am typing this to you from my USB Microsoft keyboard that I simply plugged in to my laptop, it worked right away :)

FuturePilot
June 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM
I have a Logitech USB keyboard that works fine in Linux.

jrusso2
June 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM
The problems with keyboards usually have to do with setting up the special keys for volume and media players and web browsers and so on

avik
June 21st, 2007, 11:43 PM
The problems with keyboards usually have to do with setting up the special keys for volume and media players and web browsers and so on

Even that's not a problem. GNOME's keyboard shortcut editor worked for my Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard, something that required special software in Windows! ;)

Daveski
June 22nd, 2007, 12:07 AM

I have a wireless USB keyboard and Mouse by Nortek which work without any problems in Ubuntu.

PilotJLR
June 22nd, 2007, 12:25 AM

I had a similar experience... I switched a brother-in-law to Ubuntu because I was tired of fixing or rebuilding his XP installation. Although he's not a computer guy, nor does he care about proprietary / FOSS politics, he took to it right away. Now I get close to ZERO "support" calls from him. Only took him a couple days to get about 95% of the functionality learned.

Tundro Walker
June 22nd, 2007, 12:31 AM
Obviously you guys posting that your USB keyboard works are the small exceptions, not the norm. Let's just wait for the large norm to show up.

(...looks at watch...)

(...crickets chirping...)

(...Jeopardy theme playing in background...)

some_random_noob
June 22nd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Ha, be careful though or you could damage Linux's reputation. Don't go too far ;)

Zimmer
June 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
USB wireless sets.
Beware Trust USB wireless kboards and mice. Have had 2 where the mouse was awful, sluggish movement etc.. Generic 7Dayshop worked fine, as did an Arianet set.Both of those the scroll wheel on the mouse wore out.
Currently have a Advent unit ADE-AD2 laser mouse and kbd. No good for playing ET . Something to do with the key column mapping (according to my son).
Cannot detect the simultaneous presses of the 'W,A and W,D keys so you have to release one to activate the other, which means moving diagonally is next to impossible. Have not played ET for weeks now :(

Anyone any experience of the MS 2000 wireless desktop set? 'cos that may be my next purchase ....

OhioYJ
June 22nd, 2007, 01:59 AM
Although he's not a computer guy, nor does he care about proprietary / FOSS politics, he took to it right away. Now I get close to ZERO "support" calls from him. Only took him a couple days to get about 95% of the functionality learned.

This guy is the same way, he'd never heard of Linux before, but he does know his PC just works all the time now, instead of going down once a week. This experience was sort of a test, since he's definitely not a computer guy and he figured it out fine, I figure I may try installing Linux on more customer PCs. Of course I don't know, might reduce the number of customers I have if they don't get bombarded by spyware/viruses? :D

orb9220
June 22nd, 2007, 04:16 AM
What is the point of usb keyboards and mice? I mean I have both with the adapters to plug them in the more common keyboard and mouse ps/2 ports.

I don't see the point of wasting 2 usb ports that I may need down the road.

Setting up systems for people with usb mouse and keyboards can be problematic.
Setting up systems for people using the dedicated ports for them Priceless!