PDA

View Full Version : Wine on Ubuntu

forpeterssake
June 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM
A few people in the other thread mentioned Wine, and I wanted to see if some of the more experienced users could help me out. I have yet to figure out how to get Wine to work with Ubuntu. Basically, I just want to play Starcraft on my Linux box. Has anyone else had troubles figuring it out? Have any other casual Ubuntu users found a good source to get Wine started on Ubuntu?

qamelian
June 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
A few people in the other thread mentioned Wine, and I wanted to see if some of the more experienced users could help me out. I have yet to figure out how to get Wine to work with Ubuntu. Basically, I just want to play Starcraft on my Linux box. Has anyone else had troubles figuring it out? Have any other casual Ubuntu users found a good source to get Wine started on Ubuntu?

I've been using Wine for years and run a few apps under it. It isn't had to use, but not everything works well under it. Your best bet is to check the app compatibility database at winehq.org.

MrMosier
June 24th, 2007, 11:11 AM
After installing wine (sudo apt-get install wine), I always run the configuration tool (winecfg). That gives me options that I can customize in order to run my Windows programs.

j8994
September 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM
i personally use crossover professional, its like 5 bucks. has more compatibility, and as for games, i use Cedega for that.

Lord Illidan
September 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
There's no need to pay money to get Starcraft working on Wine.
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=149

j8994
September 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
true, i just like some of the features of the other versions out there.

xtemplarx
September 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm using Cedega as well... It works quite nicely and offers tons of help and tips for you without having to go digging for them. There are def. other alternatives but it works for me. :)