PDA

View Full Version : That was fast!

aragorn2909
July 11th, 2005, 05:27 AM
from xxx.afterdawn.com, concerning Rarewares removal of DVD-Audio tools for WinDVD

"...Here is his post from a doom9 thread...

...and it's gone

I got a phone call from a big local lawyer office (no fake, I checked the caller ID and the phone number really belongs to a lawyer office). They have been hired to make me stop distributing the DVD-A tools. It was a reasonably big talk, but I can summarize it with

They: we are giving you two choices, either you remove all references to those tools from your site now, or we'll have to take you to court.

Me: I'm already removing!

They: Thank-you for your cooperation.

Oh, well. It's been fun. I'm amazed at how well it spread in these two days (!), and I'm sure from now on you'll be able to find those tools in countless mirrors, p2p and the like.

Shine on!

R."

TravisNewman
July 11th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Anyone have a bit of background here? I don't know the full story

aragorn2909
July 11th, 2005, 06:35 AM
check out hxxp://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050706-5065.html

TravisNewman
July 11th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I think you mean hTTp, but nonetheless-- wow. I'm not advocating this, but you have to be impressed by people's ability and determination.

agger
August 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I think you mean hTTp, but nonetheless-- wow. I'm not advocating this, but you have to be impressed by people's ability and determination.

I am advocating this.

Here in Denmark, it's legal to break copy protection if it's necessary in order
to see the movie or hear the music you've bought; e.g., in order to se a DVD
movie on your computer.

So, in order to hear the DVD music I'm entitled to hear on my PC, I must rely
on people's determination and ability to crack the DRM (unless I wanted to
do it myself :-)).

In France, a court ruling has decided DRM on DVD movies is unlawful and deprives
the owner of a DVD of obvious rights.

DRM is a nuisance, and the best thing about it is that it will probably slowly disappear.

nocturn
August 9th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I'm also advocating this.

# DRM violates fair use laws that especially allow you to make personal copies (believer it or not, but people do this - especially people with children that damage CD's/DVD's -).
# When I buy a disc legally, I want it to play on any machine, not just the authorised ones.
# If I buy DRM protected content, I'm paying for the DRM protection on it which is violating my rights and I didn't ask for it.

weasel fierce
August 9th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I am advocating this.

Here in Denmark, it's legal to break copy protection if it's necessary in order
to see the movie or hear the music you've bought; e.g., in order to se a DVD
movie on your computer.

Really ? Is this a recent thing ? I havent been home for 3 years (I miss rugbroed, frikadeller and Tuborg damnit) but could you elaborate some more or point me to some links ?

Stormy Eyes
August 9th, 2005, 06:09 PM

I advocate this: if you buy a DVD, it is yours. What you do with it in the privacy of your own home is none of anybody else's business. Unless you're selling bootleg copies of $LATEST_DISNEY_FLICK, the government should leave well enough alone.

macgyver2
August 9th, 2005, 06:52 PM
I advocate this: if you buy a DVD, it is yours. What you do with it in the privacy of your own home is none of anybody else's business. Unless you're selling bootleg copies of $LATEST_DISNEY_FLICK, the government should leave well enough alone.
I also advocate this (i.e. support the software authors).

I think the biggest problem here is the all-or-nothing attitude taken by the music/movie industry. They feel that if something has the possibility of being used for "not good" then it makes the entire thing inherently "not good". And that's just not the case. Yet this attitude is also supported by my government.

On the other hand, we see a contradictory position from my government, at least, when they take a position on something else...for instance, guns. For a consistent stance, as soon as someone used a gun to, say, hold up a convenience store, then all guns would be removed from the market. But that doesn't happen. (Note--in the interests of staving off any possibilty for flaming--that I'm not saying it should happen, even though I personally hate guns.)

And imagine what would happen if the same stance was taken regarding cars. A car can be used for getting me from point A to point B. But a car can also be used to run over someone on purpose. Imagine if the government used the all-or-nothing stance with cars. As soon as someone intentionally ran over someone else it would be illegal to own, distribute, or use cars!

This whole thing just seems so ludicrous...

jdodson
August 9th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I advocate not purchasing media that is locked down. If that means I cannot get the latest and greatest super cool media, so be it.

Stop voting for DRM with your wallets. It makes no sense to crack it later, because you just voted that "the man" will keep using DRM, so really, who cares if you break it?

Every penny you funnel into DRM'ed technologies is another penny they use to extend DRM.

Stop the insanity, please.

somuchfortheafter
August 9th, 2005, 08:26 PM
or even change the oil hell have replacement oil

jdodson
August 9th, 2005, 08:36 PM
or even change the oil hell have replacement oil

you lost me.

agger
August 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Really ? Is this a recent thing ? I havent been home for 3 years (I miss rugbroed, frikadeller and Tuborg damnit) but could you elaborate some more or point me to some links ?

Well, in Denmark the law sez you can break copy protection on CDs or DVDs if
it's necessary in order to access the contents of the media.

You're allowed to make copies of your music CDs for personal use (like backup); you're also allowed to copy music to your MP3 player, provided you bought the CD.

I think you're allowed to copy a CD you borrowed on your MP3 player for as long
time as you borrow the CD - e.g., if you get a CD for the library and copy it to
your iPod, you must delete the music when you return the CD.

Due to the EU Commission's Infosoc directive, you're not allowed to make copies of
DVD movies under any circumstances, not even for backup.

IANAL, but I'd presume it must be legal to copy a movie you own to your hard drive
in order to avoid bringing along the CD (like when you're travelling, and want to watch the movie on your laptop).

regards ....

phen
August 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM
the only person ever affected by copy protection on cds was a friends father. he's owning hundreds of cds (he's a music freak). He is not able to listen to copies of his newest CDs in his car, because he does not want to use the originals while travelling.

all friends who downloaded music in the past are able to crack copy protection or know how to download music. the only person affected by the music industries actions is the one paid the most to this people....