PDA

View Full Version : High class dilemma

dkaddict
June 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
I have a high class dilemma.

I got into Ubuntu about a year ago. Ever since installing Ubuntu for the first time, I have been switching from Gnome to KDE, u know, from Kubuntu to Ubuntu. I tried having them both on the same partition during the first two or so weeks of discovering this OS but my laptop didn't really like it. They both worked after a fashion but there were too many things about having both that got to me so I don't want to go down that road again.

My problem is, I keep changing my mind about which one to use. Right now I have the KDE version but am itching to give the new Gnome a try as they have just released a load of new stuff apparently (check this out http://www.nanolx.org/) with the 2.19.4 version, and even more so because I haven't checked out Feisty yet with Gnome. I upgraded to Feisty with this same KDE I have now and think it would be rude not to try out the new release properly.

Personally I think that Gnome can be made to look better than any other OS. Some of those GTK styles are the dogs gonads, especially this Muku one (now my itch really needs scratching)

http://www.lynucs.org/index.php?screen_type=1&screen_id=147314019460af7901d4e8&m=screen

That is one of the best I have seen yet.

What made me go to KDE last time was the opportunity to change all of the colours of the windows decorations and fonts etc etc. I tried the gnome colour chooser but it doesn't work on all of the gtk styles. Is that still so? Also, I can make my own colour gradients with the domino style I use in KDE. Another reason I switched to KDE a couple of months ago was because I wanted to try Baghira out. I liked it to begin with but it's not my bag really. If I want a Mac there are plenty for sale eh.

Is there the opportunity to configure Gnome as comprehensively as there is in Kubuntu? I am caught between 2 good things really. Any advice on either how to run both Ubuntu and Kubuntu on the same partition without one or both of them going wonky or how to get more control of the Ubuntu colours would be helpful.

peace

dk

forrestcupp
June 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM
Why not just install Ubuntu, then install the KDE metapackage and have both on your computer? Then you can choose which one you want to use when you boot.

I use Gnome, and to me, the feature list on the new Gnome you pointed to didn't look that exciting. Now KDE 4 looks exciting. That may make me want to switch to KDE.

dkaddict
June 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
That's why I was asking m8. I have tried twice to have Gnome and KDE on the same partitions, as you suggested, when I first installed Ubuntu Edgy. I could log in to either environment but on the first occasion I think QT and GTK must have been conflicting somewhere because the Gnome theme manager went really wonky and crashed my system after a couple of minutes of trying to fry my chip set. I had to reinstall Ubuntu and tried again. This time, Gnome ran as it should but Kwin was completely useless. I had absolutely no access to kcontrol. Running 'kcontrol' through bash just locked KDE up.

I can't see how I can do anything to correct these but am going to have another go.

Cheers for answering anyway m8.

dk

Cheese Sandwich
June 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Get a second computer.

megamania
June 22nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
That's why I was asking m8. I have tried twice to have Gnome and KDE on the same partitions, as you suggested, when I first installed Ubuntu Edgy.
This is what I would do:

- repartition your hard disk with the same partitions you have plus one
- install Ubuntu as usual, leaving the new partition unused
- install Kubuntu on the new partition
- make kubuntu's home reside on that same partition (no need for a separate partition)
- set up dual boot for kubuntu/ubuntu

Kubuntu's home will only be used for its own system data - your personal data will all be on the gnome install's home, to which you can easily link from Kubuntu.

Hope I made myself clear...

dkaddict
June 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Crystal. I have considered the dual boot option before. I would really like another comp. Times are hard though m8. My uname is no lie. I am doing battle with demons.

dk