PDA

View Full Version : Linux.com New Site Design

ThinkBuntu
June 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM
As a web designer, new designs always interest me. Linux.com (http://www.linux.com/), a site about enterprise Linux that covers most Linux stories (reviews as well) switched over to a new design pretty recently.

I personally prefer the old design, as well as the old logo. Any takes?

bobbybobington
June 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM
It looks good, but it looked fine before, why didn't they redesign linux.org? that site REALLYYY needs it.

ThinkBuntu
June 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM
TuxMachines seriously needs a better server. That site has great links and original content (I much prefer it to LinuxToday) but the pages load so slowly, and there's no way to directly access an article from the homepage.

%hMa@?b<C
June 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM
wow. its beautiful, just took about a day and a half to load though :(

hellmet
June 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
What the ?? Its been years since I oepned the page.. and its yet to load :(

Edit : It opened.. I don't like it though. Too dark, and glossy.

ThinkBuntu
June 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Confucius of web design say: Redesign should only make site load faster.

The #1 priority is always to make sure the website loads as quickly as possible, tied with having quality content. Next is usability, and the rest follows. And by as quickly as possible, it doesn't have to be like debian.org. Just as light as possible while including the necessary features.

insane_alien
June 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
looks purty... ***gets drawn in***

lzfy
June 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM
Hmm. Interesting, did anyone else notice the "get the facts" ad on the site? :p

ThinkBuntu
June 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Hmm. Interesting, did anyone else notice the "get the facts" ad on the site? :p
Nearly every popular Linux news site sells ads to Microsoft just like these, with silly headlines from the "Highly Reliable Times," or a women who spills her water when she sees two huge batteries crammed into a building across the way.

lzfy
June 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Well when I think about it it's actually better to have this ads on linux oriented sites. Not a single visitor would believe the crap and it would create a good income for the community : )

picpak
June 21st, 2007, 08:14 PM
Great! Now somebody redesign Linux.org.

hellmet
June 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM
^^ and debian.org

ThinkBuntu
June 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
^^ and debian.org
Please tell me, what's wrong with debian.org? Not flashy enough? I think it's one of the best sites out there for content, usability, and speed. Anyone who doesn't like it probably has a problem with this website (http://www.useit.com/) too.

Derek Djons
June 21st, 2007, 09:03 PM
I find the new linux.com website nice. It gives you the impression that GNU/Linux in general isn't a mere hobby thing.

hellmet
June 22nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
Please tell me, what's wrong with debian.org? Not flashy enough? I think it's one of the best sites out there for content, usability, and speed. Anyone who doesn't like it probably has a problem with this website (http://www.useit.com/) too.
Even the use-it website looks better than debian. No, I don't need anything flashy, because even I like to keep it simple. Its just that my eyes kinda hurt when I see debian.org, coz it looks like a page without CSS. Empty, with blue, bold text thrown here and there.

steven8
June 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
I liked it, and it loaded in a snap as well.

SoulinEther
June 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
To be honest, that website almost gives me a headache. There has to be a balance between download size and usability... This guy seems to be someone who knows a lot about web usability, so it's probably not my place to judge his work, but... looking at his page gives me a headache. A few bullet points now and then wouldn't be unappreciated...

There are many ways to visually differentiate between items...

I see many

<p style="margin-top: 1.2ex"></p>

elements included. If he was really nitpicky about bandwidth, he could have attached a stylesheet with

.pmlarge{margin-top:1.2ex;}

and then

<p id="pmlarge"></p>

Well, maybe not. That would kinda be confusing, I guess, since another aspect of web design is to not be confusing in your naming schemes.

Oh well, I'm just a little perturbed after looking at his "flashiness." :P

ThinkBuntu
June 22nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Even the use-it website looks better than debian. No, I don't need anything flashy, because even I like to keep it simple. Its just that my eyes kinda hurt when I see debian.org, coz it looks like a page without CSS. Empty, with blue, bold text thrown here and there.
The frontpage is completely tableless layout. I'm not going to investigate the whole website, however...the Debian site gives the information I'm looking for quickly, and hell, they even have a couple rollovers on the top nav. What I love is also how they let things fallback to browser defaults, which really does drive home the message of choice: The body default to the user's serif font (for maximum readability), and the left nav defaults to the user's sans-serif font. The link colors are also set by the user. I'm willing to bet that if they smoothed the edges of a couple images, added a few links in the header, and switched to a sans-serif, you'd think it was a clean, minimalist website...

TheRLG
June 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
This new design actually looks really ugly. It also appears very buggy in the styling of the page. The old design was wayyy better.

ThinkBuntu
June 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
In short, the new design reminds me of IGN circa 2002 and is not becoming of an Enterprise Linux website.