PDA

View Full Version : keyloggers

rollerworld
June 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM
how best to avoid keyloggers using ubuntu, live disk?

LaRoza
June 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Don't use a keyboard.

Do you have a problem with keyloggers?

I believe copying and pasting would defeat them. Changing passwords often is always a good idea, especially when using them on other computers.

-edit Software keyloggers and hardware keyloggers exist, I am assuming you are referring to both. The Live disk would defeat a software keylogger.

smoker
June 21st, 2007, 02:33 PM
isn't there a way to check 'running processes' or something that would give you a clue if something like a software keylogger was running?

PetePete
June 21st, 2007, 02:36 PM
not if it has modified the ps program to hide its process.

live CD + usb keyboard should keep you safe.

Think i read somewhere that there are currently no keylogging software avaliable for usb keyboards, not sure how old that article was, might be outdated now. maybe someone can confirm#?

smoker
June 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
not if it has modified the ps program to hide its process.

live CD + usb keyboard should keep you safe.

Think i read somewhere that there are currently no keylogging software avaliable for usb keyboards, not sure how old that article was, might be outdated now. maybe someone can confirm#?

how could you check if your system was compromised with a keylogger then? i would have thought my pc was safe from this sort of spyware, as i would never log on as root, etc! and i am the only user. should i be concerned?

Nekiruhs
June 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM
Reboot. If your using a live CD and you suspect a keylogger, reboot. To a live CD, thats like reformatting. Nothing survives a reboot. I'm not even sure that there are keyloggers for linux, like the virus kind, not the parental control kind. But, if you have the parental control type keylogger on the HD, dont worry, the Live CD is totally separate from the HD.