PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft offers Ubuntu on their website

Sirin
June 21st, 2007, 07:10 AM
If you don't believe me, then take a look for yourself: http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=3411347

What's going on here? :-k

Motoxrdude
June 21st, 2007, 07:12 AM
What the...
Maybe it's just a marketing scam to get more users to side with microsoft?

jjbean
June 21st, 2007, 07:17 AM
Check out the Detailed Product Specifications on that page. They give the impression that you have to have Windows installed for it to work, because of what it says under Minimum Requirements.

~LoKe
June 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM
Dependencies 256MB RAM

WRONG!!

clikc
June 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM
thats so funny, i heard that MS was trying to develop some opensource forums, which would probabaly be in there worst interest.

Motoxrdude
June 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM
Check out the Detailed Product Specifications on that page. They give the impression that you have to have Windows installed for it to work, because of what it says under Minimum Requirements.

Umm, no it doesn't...

Minimum Requirements
Supported OS
Windows 3.x
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows Me
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows MCE
Windows 2003 Server
Dependencies
256MB RAM
3GB disk space (minimum)

eentonig
June 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM
I don't know what's going on. But I found it great.

Most likely it's been put there by an employee who likes Ubuntu. And hasn't been noticed yet by the management. But even if it was a company decision. It would still be great. This would indicate that MS admits that Ubuntu is a good product. And that they don't see any problem with patent infringments for this distribution (it would be rather foolish to offer a product you want to sue in court)

Now, let's just hope it's not a *hacked*/*Microsofted* version that crashes whole the time.

I found the navigation where you can find the download funny. They don't have a seperate section for OS?

# Downloads>
# Utility Downloads>
# System Downloads>
# Driver Downloads>
# BIOS & System Update Downloads>
# Ubuntu Desktop

Concerning the requirements. Their CMS probably requires for every download to indicate at least one MS OS. They just show every version, to indicate that it runs on every pc.

ubuntu27
June 21st, 2007, 07:27 AM
I don't know what's going on. But I found it great.

Now, let's just hope it's not a *hacked*/*Microsofted* version that crashes whole the time.

That's my felling. I bet it was modified in a bad way. Yeah, I don't trust Microsoft as you can see. NO WAY I will install it not even download it.

jjbean
June 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM
Umm, no it doesn't...

For someone that has only used Windows, and doesn't understand that Ubuntu is a complete OS it would.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 21st, 2007, 07:47 AM
Something's seriously up. For one thing, I have never seen an official Microsoft website that has ads. To begin with, Microsoft doesn't need ad-revenue, and it doesn't use ads on its corporate websites. It has MSN Search to bring in ad-revenue.

Something's fishy. The download link even leads to Feisty's download, but not from download.com.

I took several screenshots just for my records..in case something's discovered at one time.

eentonig
June 21st, 2007, 07:51 AM
Something's seriously up. For one thing, I have never seen an official Microsoft website that has ads. To begin with, Microsoft doesn't need ad-revenue, and it doesn't use ads on its corporate websites. It has MSN Search to bring in ad-revenue.

Something's fishy. The download link even leads to Feisty's download, but not from download.com.

I took several screenshots just for my records..in case something's discovered at one time.

I just went through the main Marketplace portal, and I can find the link. And I do see ads on there. So it does seem legit.

kano
June 21st, 2007, 07:53 AM
It's probably hacked or a joke by a MS employee.

luckyd
June 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Thats a bad, non official site, check this out

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/windowsmarketplace.com

Atomic Dog
June 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM

I wasn't going to say it but it does seem a tad fishy. A whois lookup shows it is registered to MS, but that does not mean much.

I think it's a tad amusing, but that's about it.

drivel
June 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Is that a official website?

sloggerkhan
June 21st, 2007, 08:33 AM
Ubuntu is also not listed as an OS at that site.

drivel
June 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM
Ubuntu is also not listed as an OS at that site.

Then Ubuntu listed as what?

derjames
June 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM

So do I, nice indeed...

sloggerkhan
June 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM
Then Ubuntu listed as what?

Don't know. All I know is that if you click the OS link on the main page, Ubuntu is not included.

Warpnow
June 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Its obviously a fake webpage for ad revenue

Warpnow
June 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM
I take that back:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=3411345

They've made Ubuntu run inside windows.

Its...quite brilliant for marketting...ubuntu isn't near a threat for them anymore...

Edit: I found that link running through the OFFICIAL microsoft site...its not a scam...

tdrusk
June 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM
I take that back:

Its...quite brilliant for marketting...ubuntu isn't near a threat for them anymore...

Edit: I found that link running through the OFFICIAL microsoft site...its not a scam...

great, so now we can have the awesomeness of ubuntu and the security of windows...

corney91
June 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM
What I like are the reviews at the bottom claiming it's 'a fantastic alternative to WIndows!'
Great publicity.;)

Johnsie
June 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Seems alot like the ubuntu-installer that people from these forums have been making.... I dont see the problem here. It's good that people are seeing it. It's funny to read the Ubuntu fanboy reviews though. I used to be like that when I first started using Ubuntu but now I can see the pros and cons of both operating systems. Ubuntu is good, but some people go OTT trying to convince people how good it is.

Rui Pais
June 21st, 2007, 11:32 AM
I take that back:

Not they:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=396561

derjames
June 21st, 2007, 11:43 AM
What I like are the reviews at the bottom claiming it's 'a fantastic alternative to WIndows!'
Great publicity.;)

I think I am going to write my review in that website.... LOL
:popcorn:

wataboutbob
June 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Don't know. All I know is that if you click the OS link on the main page, Ubuntu is not included.

Its under Utilities > System Drivers > BIOS Updates

lol... its probably by an MS employee with a sense of justice(?) for being made to use Windows at work....

adamklempner
June 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM
It is indeed a Microsoft page, here is the whois:

Registrant:
Microsoft Corporation
1 Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US

Domain Name: WINDOWSMARKETPLACE.COM

Administrative Contact :
Microsoft Corporation
DOMAINS@MICROSOFT.COM
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
Phone: +1.4258828080

Technical Contact :
Microsoft Corporation
msnhst@MICROSOFT.COM
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
US
Phone: +1.4258828080

Record expires on 10-Dec-2013
Record created on 10-Dec-2003
Database last updated on 11-Oct-2006

To me, it looks as if that site just mirrors a lot of the things on CNET download.com. The same entry for Ubuntu is there:
http://www.download.com/Ubuntu-Desktop/3000-2098_4-10689104.html?tag=lst-0-1

I like the reviews that you guys left on the MS page though 8-).

fuscia
June 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM
Thats a bad, non official site, check this out

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/windowsmarketplace.com

i'd be more suspicious if there weren't a problem with it.

a search of the marketplace site produced this...

No results found for "suse." Please check your spelling or try searching on a more general term.

dca
June 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
You'll be hearing a lot more about it too... This is why...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/virtualserver/software/default.mspx

They're actually giving this away. As long as virtualization has been around (not long in relative terms at all), the purpose we'll say was to virtualize Windows through Linux or Solaris. I don't know of one company that would bother virtualizing RedHat inside of Windows Server 2003... Then you'd have two servers w/ chronic rebooting issues!

I think that is what gets MS' goat. More and more enterprises migrating to Linux, adding more Linux servers, etc, etc. Whenever you talk to someone who is a *nix admin, they bring up VMWare or Xen.

Beamerboy
June 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Everyone take a look at this:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=3411347

Be sure to leave a review, lets seeif we can get a couple of thousand reviews before it gets pulled.

Paladine

Johnsie
June 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
I'm going to write a balanced review... Linux has cons too.

trak87
June 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
It could be some sort of marketing test.

Of the three main consumer operating systems, two of them are running on a Unix based system: Mac OS/X is based on Darwin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)) and Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux) of course is a clone of the Unix kernel by Linus Torvalds.

It wouldn't surprise me if MS decided to scrap their kernel and adopt a Unix/Linux/BSD variant as a basis for a new OS. That's why I wonder about a marketing test of some kind.

Old Pink
June 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM
LOL! Good job. :)

It will get pulled though. I can see it happening now. :(

bash
June 21st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Already discussed in this thread: :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=480102&page=3

maddog39
June 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
It could be some sort of marketing test.

Of the three main consumer operating systems, two of them are running on a Unix based system: Mac OS/X is based on Darwin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29) and Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux) of course is a clone of the Unix kernel by Linus Torvalds.

It wouldn't surprise me if MS decided to scrap their kernel and adopt a Unix/Linux/BSD variant as a basis for a new OS. That's why I wonder about a marketing test of some kind.
I think some podcasts talked about that same prediction a while back when vista was just released. It does make alot of sense if you think about it.

Lux Perpetua
June 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM
That's my felling. I bet it was modified in a bad way. Yeah, I don't trust Microsoft as you can see. NO WAY I will install it not even download it.(Warning - I'm going to jump on you for this.) I can't stand when people make unfounded accusations, especially when their claims could have been so easily checked. You shouldn't attack people if you can't back it up. I have no affinity for Microsoft, but your post compelled me to download their ISO and compare it to the ISO I downloaded months ago from an Ubuntu mirror.
d******@helium:Desktop> ls -l *.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 d****** d****** 730056704 2007-04-19 21:47 ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 d****** d****** 731797504 2007-06-21 03:22 ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386(2).iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 d****** d****** 731797504 2007-04-20 23:18 ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso
d******@helium:Desktop> cmp ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386\(2\).iso
d******@helium:Desktop>
So as you can see, their image is not hacked. If you don't believe me, then of course, you know what to do.

trak87
June 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I was going to say a simple MD5SUM comparison would quickly prove whether the MS hosted Ubuntu was the real thing or not.

My concern, if MS ever decided to dump their kernel and adopt a Unix/Linux/BSD kernel, is that they would throw their weight around and behave as badly as they have for the past 25 years thus ruining what we've got here. I started with DOS 3.0 so I've been experiencing MS for a long time. So when Linux came around I was very excited. Been using it since the late '90's with Redhat 4 or 5. BTW, IBM's OS/2 was a great operating system, maybe a little rough around the edges, but there was no reason it shouldn't have been given a chance. MS's dominance has never made sense to me. Heck, WordPerfect was a superior word processor to anything MS ever came up with. Okay, WP's key layout was strange, but that was a great program. If MS had better than average products, it's monopoly power to kill competitors might be tolerable.

mips
June 21st, 2007, 07:28 PM
My concern, if MS ever decided to dump their kernel and adopt a Unix/Linux/BSD kernel,..

The only one they could legally use is BSD. They could probably license Unix as well but it would not really be 'theirs". Linux is out of the question for them.

WalmartSniperLX
June 21st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Already discussed in this thread: :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=480102&page=3

lol Don't you hate it when you make a discovery, get excited, and want to share it with the world and follow through. But, then you find out someone already has :D

WalmartSniperLX
June 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
The only one they could legally use is BSD. They could probably license Unix as well but it would not really be 'theirs". Linux is out of the question for them.

They can legally use a Linux kernel. They just can't license it.

EDIT: Unless you were talking about them taking ownership over the kernel, then yeah you're right because BSD allows that.

Derek Djons
June 21st, 2007, 09:09 PM
Right, now I've almost seen everything I guess!

StarsAndBars14
June 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM
That is... strange.

Never thought I'd see the day Microsoft would be offering Linux downloads.

RudolfMDLT
June 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM
and microsoft starts tightening the noose....

PS: awesome reviews guys! but try and keep things balanced - lets not get it pulled and let it work for Ubuntu and not against it.

PPS: Take a look at the ads to the left of the reviews! LOL! :"windows - Fix windows Error. Complete Scan. Takes 3 Mins.", "Windows Repair - Fix It Yourself. Easily Install & Recover All Windows!", ... idiots.

smiggs
June 21st, 2007, 09:50 PM
I can confirm this is a legit site, Microsoft link to segments of it from the Vista control panel, it adopts the role of poor (well stupid) man's synaptic. It doesn't seem to be particulary well moderated and you appear to be able to get pretty much anything on there, it's well a bit odd.

juxtaposed
June 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
I take that back:

"We are sorry, but the page you are trying to reach does not exist."

forrestcupp
June 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM

I guess someone in charge found out about it. I'll bet someone is hot under the collar.

DR_K13
June 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM

:popcorn:

FuturePilot
June 21st, 2007, 11:13 PM
Now I've seen everything.:lolflag:
The world is ending.

kostkon
June 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Yes, I got the same message: We are sorry, but the page you are trying to reach does not exist.

Who knows what happened...

Anyone with some screenshots to post them here, for all of us who didn't have the chance to see the pages when they were up? ;)

sloggerkhan
June 22nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=374&tabid=1

We should all contact support and complain that our Ubuntu downloads disapeared and see what kind of responses come back. I bet it'd be mildly amusing.

l1oyd
June 22nd, 2007, 02:49 AM
I'm guessing no one got a screen shot...

srt4play
June 22nd, 2007, 03:30 AM
screenshots please

prezbedard
June 22nd, 2007, 03:50 AM
It appears to be gone now.

MetalMusicAddict
June 22nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Screenshot (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1395/582283813_85fd89647b_o.png)

prezbedard
June 22nd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Hopefully its no sign that a Canonical / MS deal is in the works :shock:

steven8
June 22nd, 2007, 04:13 AM
Umm, no it doesn't...

Actually, that's EXACTLY what that made it seem like to me. However, it's moot since the page is gone.

steven8
June 22nd, 2007, 04:15 AM
Hopefully its no sign that a Canonical / MS deal is in the works :shock:

I don't believe so. I believe, if anything, this may have been done by either a rebellious MS employee, or, to make Mark and Canonical look bad for not wanting to make a deal. You know, "See, we're mature. We're willing to cooperate." Bah!

Ultra Magnus
June 22nd, 2007, 04:26 AM
LOL - Believe me it was there, it had a link to CNET to download - quite bizarre - do you reakon there is someone from MS reading the Ubuntu forums - Oh no theres a spy in our midst!

kerry_s
June 22nd, 2007, 05:46 AM
LOL - Believe me it was there, it had a link to CNET to download - quite bizarre - do you reakon there is someone from MS reading the Ubuntu forums - Oh no theres a spy in our midst!

cough, sh! you'll give me away. ;)

sloggerkhan
June 22nd, 2007, 05:49 AM
are you sneaking GPL'd code into windows you son of gun, you? ;)

Motoxrdude
June 22nd, 2007, 05:56 AM
Awww, it got pulled!

sloggerkhan
June 22nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
I wrote customer service with a complaint and this is what they emailed back:

Thank you for contacting Windows Marketplace Technical Support. My name is Reynor. I understand that you are inquiring why Ubuntu is no longer listed in Windows Marketplace. I sincerely apologize if the product you are searching is no longer available in Windows Marketplace. I realize the importance of your query.

Windows Marketplace does not sell any products directly. The products available on the site are offered, sold and shipped, or made available for download, by resellers independently of Windows Marketplace.

Windows Marketplace does not favor products selection in any way. Windows Marketplace lists, but does not provide preferential treatment to Microsoft products.

The removal of any product in Windows Marketplace is the sole decision of the reseller. It is also possible that the product is out of stock that is why it is temporarily removed.

Please continue to search and purchase for products you need using Windows Marketplace.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Marketplace.

Sincerely,

Reynor

Windows Marketplace Technical Support

Do you think Canonical asked for to be removed?

steven8
June 22nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
I wrote customer service with a complaint and this is what they emailed back:

I think that is a standard form response.

kostkon
June 22nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah, to me also, looks like a classic template response.

pingvin
June 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
"BIOS and System Update Downloads" category ... and you were wondering whether or not it was legitimate?
I just wish I'd got there in time to leave a review :(
Mike

Old Pink
June 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
No results found for "ubuntu." Please check your spelling or try searching on a more general term.
Seems the Wubi packages are gone too.

Question: If you have a Windows Marketplace account, can you add packages yourself? At first look, I thought someone had made an account, added Ubuntu stuff and posted it around forums as a joke. I had never actually thought Microsoft could be behind it?

Just a thought. :)

bash
June 22nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
The removal of any product in Windows Marketplace is the sole decision of the reseller. It is also possible that the product is out of stock that is why it is temporarily removed.

Yea really sounds like standard maybe even automated reply. Coz I highly doubt a CNet download is out of stock.

Lux Perpetua
June 22nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
They can legally use a Linux kernel. They just can't license it.

EDIT: Unless you were talking about them taking ownership over the kernel, then yeah you're right because BSD allows that.They can't distribute it unless they start selling Windows with a free license, which...wouldn't mesh with their business model.
Yea really sounds like standard maybe even automated reply. Coz I highly doubt a CNet download is out of stock.Maybe they ran out of TCP packets.

WalmartSniperLX
June 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
They can't distribute it unless they start selling Windows with a free license, which...wouldn't mesh with their business model. Maybe they ran out of TCP packets.

Really? I thought Red Hat distributes their OS Suites under a non-free license. And, just because the kernel is FOSS doesnt mean the entire OS has to be. Not all linux distributions come with all free software you know. Because honestly I dont think the GPL states that you cant mix software under it with non-free software..

Honestly if they did distribute the kernel they would have to keep the GPL on the kernel, but that doesnt mean everything else in windows has to be under a free license. That's just bc.

Unless you were getting at how there will be a free license with non-free licenses, then sorry I may have misunderstood you.

simplypatrick
June 22nd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Sorry if this is a double post. Could not find it anywhere else on here. Thought this was neat. =D

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/22/151233&from=rss

coffeecat
June 22nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Wonderful, isn't it? If you link through from slashdot to the Groklaw page you'll see that 10,000 people downloaded Ubuntu via the Microsoft site.

:lol:

Motoxrdude
June 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
This is the second or third thread about this. Search next time
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=480102

coffeecat
June 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM

Your post comes over as very bad-tempered and snappy. Is this how you want to be perceived by the world?

Kilz
June 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=480102

This is the first post in the 64bit section, some people only read one section. Just like some people only come into a section to post once then leave. :roll:

Explanation:
Someone reading this post may not realize that posts 71 through mine were originally in their own thread in the 64bit section. A mod must have combined the threads.

pvdvyve
June 25th, 2007, 04:03 PM
We are sorry, but the page you are trying to reach does not exist.

Thatīs what I get... maybe itīs over...

A new link :

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?text=linux&tabid=1

And look what you get than...

infoseeker
June 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM
What bothers me is the description on www.download.com

clikc
June 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM

have they removed it ever so quickly?

cunawarit
June 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM

have they removed it ever so quickly?

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2007062209235346

Looks like they removed it... Shame really, there's no reason why Ubuntu wouldn't compliment Windows nicely... And vice versa of course.

steven8
June 27th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Maybe they took it down because it's (get ready). . .(are you sitting down?). . .patent pending!!

:popcorn::guitar::lolflag:

Dark Star
June 27th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Even M$ is feared from the growth of Open Source :) Thats why they are doing that :p