PDA

View Full Version : Wii Wireless Woes

Griff
June 20th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Gah. Anyone else have issues staying connected/establishing a connection with the wii over wireless. My laptop can connect from outside the home, but the wii has troubles even if it's like 20 feet away from the router. It continues to update with WiiConnect24 items like news and weather, but I've havn't been able to get on the wii shop channel in over a month. I am super-duper pi**** about that.

Anyone else having issues?

-Griff

Polygon
June 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM
my wii is like a good 40 feet away from my wireless router, and its behind a wall, and on the other side of the wall is a brick/iron fireplace as well. My wii stays connected just fine.

Stew2
June 21st, 2007, 12:24 AM
Nope, mine works fine. I would contact Nintendo support if I was you, might be a warranty issue.

Yoooder
June 21st, 2007, 01:16 AM
Never had a problem with mine... although it's only about 5' from my router.

ButteBlues
June 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Sounds like maybe a bad upgrade of the Shop channel if WiiConnect24 works and the Shop channel doesn't.

You could try resetting the Wii to factory settings.

Johnsie
June 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Either your router is no good or your nintendo doesnt work properly. Try it with a different router and if you still get the same results get your wii replaced.

LookTJ
June 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM
depends on your router's firmware...or the wii.

I would say the router. Because my last router(D-link) had wireless problems. So I went and bought wrt54gs(I would recommend wrt54gl) and loaded dd-wrt on it.
So far, no problems with wireless.

prizrak
June 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM
There are known problems with the Wii connecting to routers that are set to G only mode. No idea why that happens as the Wii does use G standard to connect but it just doesn't like routers set in G only mode. Try that, if it doesn't help Johnsie's idea is pretty good too.

tcpip4lyfe
June 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM
put in a static IP address on the wii before you go swapping things. I had that problem and a static address and setting the MTU to 1500 fixed it.

Griff
June 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
There's some pretty good ideas up there. Thanks for the quick replies people. I'll try out the ones that don't require me to leave the house first and post my results when I'm done. I just got off work. I just had a few microbrew beers not realizing they were 10% abv and they're kickin in so it may take me a little longer than normal. Thanks again.

-Griff

Griff
June 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Alright. No luck so far. Most attempts end in 'Error Code: 051032 Unable to connect to the server.' and the like. I think I'll try resetting the wii now.

-Griff

Griff
June 21st, 2007, 11:26 PM
SUCCESS!!!!

I changed the router wireless channel from 6 to 11 and voila! No issues and fast speed!

Edit: I was able to download Mario 64 in about 20 seconds with current change. In the past it took me 3 tries and 4 minutes to download zelda for NES. :D

prizrak
June 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM
Now we are in business!!!!