PDA

View Full Version : Help Electricity Problem

adewale
June 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM
hi, am posting from my mobile phone so please bear with me. in my country electricity has always been a problem but now its gone worse. Buying petrol for the generator isn't worth it and there's scarcity also. we use 220volts and now it goes even lower than 180. my pc had to trip off because of this electricity. Electricity supply doesn't last for more than 3hours a day. please can you advise me on other alternative power source. thanks

Tomosaur
June 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
No solution is perfect, and to generate anything like enough electricity to be self-sufficient, you're pretty much going to need:

a) A lot of money.
b) Help from your government / local authorities.

There are alternative electricity generating methods than simply burning fuel, for example:

Solar power
Biomass tanks
Wind farms
Hydroelectricity

For an individual person, the only really feasible methods are solar power and biomass tanks, but the price of getting it set up dissuades many people.

adewale
June 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
like how much would it cost me to get a solar panel for my monitor and computer. Thanks

Tomosaur
June 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Well, depends how much power your computer and monitor needs. Do a google search for 'solar powered computer' and you'll see some pages about powering laptops with solar panels. However, I'm not aware of anywhere you can just 'buy' solar panels small enough to do what you need (you tend to find them for industrial purposes only), but big enough to provide the right amount of electricity. You can, however, try building your own, probably for a lower cost than buying one.

johnny4north
June 20th, 2007, 10:42 PM
i would look in to solar power and upgrading pc to a refurbished laptop w/ 220/120 plugs and then install Linux Xubuntu on it, or a new one like this one - http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/Hands_on_with_the_ASUS_Eee/
i would think a gov. surplus, school, or tech business, may have a old/used power back-up you could recondition. i will look around on net for other possible solutions.;) i looked all over net for other solutions for you. i could not find any 100% safe documents on how to refurbish a UPS(220v) or how to make your own line conditioner(220v). the only other recommendations are to clean system unit and power supply. check the electronic swap meets and Linux clubs, for a line conditioner(US20.00) and or used UPS(US20.00) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply note - if you buy a used laptop, make sure the battery is new and under warranty. good luck :)

mips
June 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Electricity supply doesn't last for more than 3hours a day.

What do you mean by this ?

Do you mean for 3hrs a day you have power at 220V and for the other 21hrs you have 180V ?
Or do you mean for 3hrs a day you have power at 180V and for the the other 21hrs you have absolutely no power ?

Need to know the above information in order to make a recommendation.

tgalati4
June 21st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Apply for a low-power computer: One Laptop per Child

laptop.org

Purchase a used 220VAC Uninterruptable Power Supply (USP). This will smooth out the variations in power and supply power during brown-outs.

It's tragic that an oil nation such as Nigeria has power and fuel shortages. Good luck in your quest.

adewale
June 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM
most times we only have light for 3hours a day but since yesterday its gone worse as the current went as low as 120 and it lasted like that 4 over 15 hours. i can't use a OCPL as i've seen too much of beryl also i do graphics and web design a lot thanks