PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] PC hardware problem after case/power supply upgrade

pjman
June 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I tried upgrading my case to an Antec Sonata II with the supplied 450 watt power supply. About a minute after bootup the PC powered off. Now it will not turn on. I unplugged everything extra (DVD burner, front USB/FW/Audio, reset switch, etc.). The only thing besides power plugged into the motherboard is my IDE hard drive. After some testing I noticed my hard drive isn't spinning up. Yet if I remove the IDE cable it spins up... :shock:

The hard drive is connected the same way it was connected in my old case. I also tried a new IDE cable with no luck.

One other piece of information - In my old case I had two IDE DVD-ROM/Buner drives. I didn't move these over to my new case as I purchased a new SATA Samsung DVD burner (http://www.samsung.com/Products/OpticalDiscDrive/DVDWriter/OpticalDiscDrive_DVDWriter_SH_S183L.asp?page=Speci fications) to go with my new case. My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI) has two SATA controllers on it:

nVIDIA nForce4 (SATA II)
Sil3114 (SATA)

I couldn't find any information about which SATA connection I should use (SATA II or SATA). I ended up using the SATA II nForce4. I don't know if that is right.

Does this sound like a power supply or motherboard issue (or something else)? Could the possible wrong SATA connection for my new burner have caused the the problem?

After work I'm going to try my old power supply in the new case. I sure hope it's the power supply that's broke and not the motherboard. [-o<

**EDIT**
Yep, it was the power supply.

smoker
June 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
After work I'm going to try my old power supply in the new case. I sure hope it's the power supply that's broke and not the motherboard. [-o<

this is the easiest way to eliminate or confirm if it is the power supply.