PDA

View Full Version : Is it really so hard to create a webcam and voip support for IM apps?

wersdaluv
June 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I am wonder why, until now, Pidgin and Kopete still do not support webcams and voice chats (Kopete supports receiving webcam images but that's all).

If an project like Gyache Improve managed to create webcam support, why can't Pidgin and Kopete do the same? Is it technically so hard? Why can't IM apps support voice chats? Is it also really that hard?

I am not being sarcastic here. I am just curious because I do not know anything about developing applications.

constrictor
June 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I think it has something to do with proprietary formats for video transfer...

Kimm
June 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I am wonder why, until now, Pidgin and Kopete still do not support webcams and voice chats (Kopete supports receiving webcam images but that's all).

If an project like Gyache Improve managed to create webcam support, why can't Pidgin and Kopete do the same? Is it technically so hard? Why can't IM apps support voice chats? Is it also really that hard?

I am not being sarcastic here. I am just curious because I do not know anything about developing applications.

Well probably see this comming in the future, with projects such as Telepathy and Tapioca (Telepathy is an IM framework (MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, AIM etc.) and Tapioca is a VoIP and Webcam framework for Telepathy).
Also, I believe VoIP support is comming up in the next release of aMSN.

All in due time :)

Adrenal
June 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Actually, it's absurdly easy. I look forward to your patch.