PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform RAD language

Primus
June 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Linux and Ubuntu Noob here. :D

Can anyone make any suggestions as to a good RAD development system that would allow me to build forms and reports for a MySQL back end database?

It would be really cool if it could create code that would run on Windows too. Maybe I am asking too much but any suggestions as to a good, robust RAD development language would be most appreciated.

I currently use MS Access for a lot of RAD work - yes I know Access has lots of problems (such as being single file and slow in busy environments) but it is an excellent RAD tool. More importantly - for me at least - it is the single remaining reason why I cannot move completely away from Windows.

I don't want to start lots of flames against Access - I know them all ;) - but suggestions as to Ubuntu alternatives would be most helpful. Thanks. :)

pmasiar
June 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
is it web application I assume? Python and TurboGears. Cross-platform no problem.

Primus
June 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I was actually thinking more along the traditional lines of a client - server application without running in a web browser. However - I will take a look at TurboGears - I hadn't heard of that one before.

I am just looking to replace my current RAD development environment (MS Access) with something that is more robust and can preferably compile to both Windows and Ubuntu.

pmasiar
June 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM
with AJAX, web-based app is "almost" as responsible as traditional desktop.

Of course user need to be online, and javascript is harded to debug etc (but cross-browser libraries are emerging to solve incompatibilities) - but also you have only 1 place to deploy, upgrading and version synchronization is non-problems.

Not mentioning that with AJAX, you are fully buzzword-compliant as a bonus :-)

kknd
June 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Python is a good RAD language.
If you want to do only some database acess, you can use the OpenOffice Base

pmasiar
June 20th, 2007, 07:07 PM
SQLite is simplest SQL DB I know of, and is included in Py2.5 (and very simple to install for Py2.4)

Primus
June 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
with AJAX, web-based app is "almost" as responsible as traditional desktop.

Not mentioning that with AJAX, you are fully buzzword-compliant as a bonus :-)

:D Thanks for your suggestions!

Primus
June 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Python is a good RAD language.
If you want to do only some database acess, you can use the OpenOffice Base

I see. So is there a native forms editor for Python or do I look to programs such as Base for this?

pmasiar
June 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM
If you do web front-end for a database - HTML is your forms, and any HTML-capable editor will do: but skip notepad and start with SciTE or better editor.

I don't do desktop GUI so i cannot tell from my own experience, but people say that Glade and wxPython is the way to go - you may double-check that with experts, I have no idea what API and services Base includes.

Smygis
June 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I see. So is there a native forms editor for Python or do I look to programs such as Base for this?

"forms editor"... Is that microsoftish for GUI designer? Ive heard the words a lot around the .net camp. But what it is is beyond me.

wxGlade is a good GUI designer for wxWidgets.

And look on the 20 Minute Wiki screencast from turbogears. Man, For me web development is to much magic. But Turbogears is darn impressive.

http://files.turbogears.org/video/20MinuteWiki2nd.mov

Primus
June 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM
"forms editor"... Is that microsoftish for GUI designer? Ive heard the words a lot around the .net camp. But what it is is beyond me.

Yes. A GUI designer. In the MS world the screens for all business apps tend to be called forms. I'll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks! :)

kknd
June 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
You can use Glade, a visual UI designer (you can call it form designer if you want) withe the GTK+ bindings for Python (PyGTK).

ByteJuggler
March 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Lazarus (http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/) is worth a look, and cross platform too.