PDA

View Full Version : dissatisfied user

mar225
June 20th, 2007, 02:51 AM
After a few months I give up on this gibberish. Most of the names fit the programs very well. (sane, xsane Gimp, Amarok etc. ) This is never gonna make the main stream folks. Six months and no scanner yet. Don't give me the song and dance about read. Get a life Jack I have a few other things that rate just as high as a silly OS that requires a degree in outer space languages. I didn't sign up for a four year course in computer crap. Just wanted to get away from Windows but it seems Redmond is still way ahead of you ditz's and your pet toy. My old apple II was better than this.

some_random_noob
June 20th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Well it works for most people. I'm 16 and I managed to get it working.

and yes it will hit mainstream, have you got any idea how much linux has improved over the last 10 years?

Edit: By the way, Linux is free software - it isn't meant to be perfect. If you actually look at what's happening, Linux is getting better all the time. Vista on the other hand seems to be getting more and more unpopular. If Linux doesn't work for you then don't bother with it.

blah blah blah
June 20th, 2007, 03:00 AM

and yes it will hit mainstream, have you got any idea how much linux has improved over the last 10 years?

Well in his defense what makes you so sure?

P_Badger
June 20th, 2007, 03:00 AM

Edit: By the way, Linux is free software - it isn't meant to be perfect.

Don't feed the troll. ; )

blah blah blah
June 20th, 2007, 03:01 AM

I don't think he's trying to troll just complain.

some_random_noob
June 20th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Lol he isn't a troll. And what I said was intended to be helpful - Linux DOES work for most people. But its not perfect. Linux is going places, that's for sure. But yeah, big problems for some people.

DoctorMO
June 20th, 2007, 03:12 AM
He's angry because his scanner doesn't work and I've gotta agree that the lack of joined up thinking with regards to sane grates my nerves. look back at their dev list logs, 3 flame wars about sane 2, several flame wars about forking. there are a lot of unhappy people when it comes to scanners and mostly because of the arrogance of the main sane developers. I'm surprised anything gets written or working since so much code is duplicated.

I just hope someone can fork it good and proper.

init1
June 20th, 2007, 03:13 AM
After a few months I give up on this gibberish. Most of the names fit the programs very well. (sane, xsane Gimp, Amarok etc. ) This is never gonna make the main stream folks. Six months and no scanner yet. Don't give me the song and dance about read. Get a life Jack I have a few other things that rate just as high as a silly OS that requires a degree in outer space languages. I didn't sign up for a four year course in computer crap. Just wanted to get away from Windows but it seems Redmond is still way ahead of you ditz's and your pet toy. My old apple II was better than this.
Gimp fits it's name perfectly. How much more direct can you get than GNU Image Manipulation Program?

Spike-X
June 20th, 2007, 03:13 AM
He's angry because his scanner doesn't work

So am I, but you don't see me calling people names over it.

Vorian
June 20th, 2007, 03:38 AM
play nice ;)

some_random_noob
June 20th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Yay, the thread is unlocked! :D

I support criticism of Ubuntu, so long as there is no swearing etc. I think that we should be more mature around here, if someone has trouble getting things to work then the last thing I want to see is people posting crap (the picture posted by Futurepilot) or sarcasm (init1's remark about what GIMP stands for)

I know that this is the cafe, but if someone complains about Ubuntu, then can we at least take it seriously?

mar225
June 20th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Spike-x Maybe you should be.

blah blah blah
June 20th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Gimp fits it's name perfectly. How much more direct can you get than GNU Image Manipulation Program?

Ya but it's not it's name its name (it's name is gimp not GNU Image Manipulation Program).

mar225
June 20th, 2007, 04:04 AM
No. no more playing here at all. I came here to learn something and so far it has been a total waste. Do a search on Canoscan 600 and see if there is much of anything in replies that are worth reading. Next off to whoever. I am not a troll. To the next 16 year old whoever. I am not a he. I am a she and 15 so don't let your age or gender let your head swell to much.
By the way my grandfather keeps telling me you get what you pay for. Maybe he is smarter than I have been giving him credit for.

I have requested they remove my login.

steven8
June 20th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Ya but it's not it's name it name (it's name is gimp not GNU Image Manipulation Program).

Acronyms can be rough.

mar225. The link I saw in your canoscan600 thread shows that the canoscan600 has good support by cups. How deeply did you look at that link? My HP had support for it's scanner bed, but the hplip cups driver had to be installed a certain way. The add a new printer didn't do it. I had to install via the web, then it was seen right off.

That link mentioned having to alter a file for the backend of the canoscan600 on your computer, then recompiling the module or kernel. That is, frankly, over my head, but if that is what actually needs done, I'm sure there are experienced people here in the forum who could help you.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-canon.5.html

hummingbird59
June 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM
mar 225: If you are still here, I just wanted to say I understand your frustration as I haven't had a completely smooth ride either. That being said, I can also say that for me anyway Ubuntu's positives so far outweigh the negative (and I'm stubborn, that helps) that it is still worthwhile. Maybe you could try again later? Being a she myself, I would also welcome more women in the forum. Good luck whatever you decide!

scrooge_74
June 20th, 2007, 04:22 AM

Why do you need to excuse yourself? Just go back to Windows and forget about Linux that way people can stop writing on this kind of threads and go and help those who want to use it.

People stop writing on this thread is going to be 12 pages long by tomorrow morning and is going to be the same as all the others.

People in need are waiting on the Unanswered post section

slimdog360
June 20th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Yay, the thread is unlocked! :D

I support criticism of Ubuntu, so long as there is no swearing etc. I think that we should be more mature around here, if someone has trouble getting things to work then the last thing I want to see is people posting crap (the picture posted by Futurepilot) or sarcasm (init1's remark about what GIMP stands for)

I know that this is the cafe, but if someone complains about Ubuntu, then can we at least take it seriously?

People didn't like it because the original post held no constructive criticism of it own, but was there solely to cause an annoyance amongst users. This is what is known as trolling.

mar225
June 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Scrooge you are so right. If they give the kind of help I got they might be better off writing in a thread like this one.

That is supposed to be a joke right. One worthless reply and the unanswered post does nothing for you.

Slimdog your post isn't a bit better.

Bye ................

zero-9376
June 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I didnt get a chance to check the forum because I wanted to get this in before you leave but Cannon does provide SOME scanner drivers albeit in rpm format from at least their australian site. I have successfully installed them for my MP510 and it really wasn't difficult at all. Anyway if you get this I hope you investigate a little further, Ubuntu really is great, Im sorry if your experience hasn't been.

steven8
June 20th, 2007, 04:33 AM
mar225, here is your canoscan600 thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=478640

You ask for help in a somewhat snippy way, Hummingbird59 provides you with a link and tells you there has been a how to written on the forum, if you will search for it. She didn't blow you off, or give you uselsss help, then your next post is "I give up."

??

VorDesigns
June 20th, 2007, 04:37 AM
You get what you pay for works both ways:

Everybody wanted cheap and easy with the emphasis on cheap and then when it wasn't easy, I made a lot of money.

I use three OS' and the one that has cost me the least in funds has rewarded me for my hard paid labor to figure it out, Linux.

No, it's not perfect, while I don't get BSODs, I do get freezes but, as I write this remotely from my XP laptop connected to my ancient Inspiron 4000 using VNC both running wirelessly. I can remember when the Linux GUI was a kludgy boxy piece of garbage.

No, it's not yet ready for the average shmoo, that's what the Mac is for.

But, for anyone willing to put in the time to actually learn something, for those that find knowledge as rewarding as the end product, Linux is a rich, powerful environment that offers a deep well of possibilities to those willing to enrich themselves.

If you can't handle anyting more complicated than making the decision as what color coded wire goes in which color coded slot, most Linux distributions aren't for you but, Xandros probably would be.

Also, Ubuntu forums isn't the only place to seek help; there's Linux Questions and Linux Forums to compliment the pretty decent community support available here.

However, if you just wanted to bitch, you did.

scrooge_74
June 20th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Scrooge you are so right. If they give the kind of help I got they might be better off writing in a thread like this one.

That is supposed to be a joke right. One worthless reply and the unanswered post does nothing for you.

Slimdog your post isn't a bit better.

Bye ................

From a quick look at your previous posts on other threads you come off as a teenager with problems how wants easy answers, is not polite and needs to grow up. I hope you dont pass your drivers exam the same way you cant handle linux, that way you wont get behind the wheel of any vehicule and kill someone

See people, 3 pages already and nothing has been acomplish

steven8
June 20th, 2007, 04:45 AM
See people, 3 pages already and nothing has been acomplish

1/4 of the way there!! :popcorn:

blah blah blah
June 20th, 2007, 04:46 AM
People didn't like it because the original post held no constructive criticism of it own, but was there solely to cause an annoyance amongst users. This is what is known as trolling.

No it isn't. First of all, she addressed problems so it is constructive. If this is a troll then it fail to **** people off. You don't know her reasoning.

blah blah blah
June 20th, 2007, 04:48 AM
From a quick look at your previous posts on other threads you come off as a teenager with problems how wants easy answers, is not polite and needs to grow up. I hope you dont pass your drivers exam the same way you cant handle linux, that way you wont get behind the wheel of any vehicule and kill someone.

<snip>

scrooge_74
June 20th, 2007, 04:58 AM
<snip>.

And you are his / her squire? Interesting to see these are your first few post? Trolling perhaps? The same user as the inital poster? Humm, makes me wonder

Spike-X
June 20th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Spike-x Maybe you should be.

Umm...maybe I should be what?