PDA

View Full Version : ZDNET Article about Linux

hummingbird59
June 20th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Has anyone seen this yet? http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=519.

bobbybobington
June 20th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I gotta agree with his point that less os ranting is good.

scrooge_74
June 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I usually go for google/linux for a search or come straight into this forum to get my answers. But he is right about searching for things on the web, most people dont have a clue how to look for things.

I for myself I am kind of an expert searching for things (which I requiere for my job) so I get amaze when people ask me how I got to know that factory or got that contact. When I think it is rather easy to find them you just have to hang in there and use the correct words for the search

steven8
June 20th, 2007, 04:28 AM
I put in New Linux User, and got this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=new+linux+user

For his 'power using', the author uses inside terms rather than the terms of an actual new user in demonstrating how there is nothing to find. I am a fair power user and I found nothing at first, when using the inside terms I had learned, then I found all all I needed when using plain terms.

Spike-X
June 20th, 2007, 05:31 AM
The author seems to be saying that people not knowing how to properly use a search engine is the fault of the Linux Community, in some fashion.

Which strikes me as a somewhat odd criticism.

Tundro Walker
June 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Whenever I'm looking to try something new out, I always google two things

(thing) sucks

(thing) is great

From that, I can usually find enough opinions from both sides of the camp to figure out if I want to use that item or not.

So, what this ZDNet article tells us is that we need to have some spam-sites that push Ubuntu higher on the "Linux" search. Ideally, you'd the main Linux.org site float to the top, but then nothing but top distro's floating up afterwards, letting folks see that Linux isn't just an .org group of folks working on a kernel and nothing more.

Bad Google, BAD! Go lie in the corner until you start posting Ubuntu in the top 10!

steven8
June 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
It seems like every few days someone, somewhere, comes up with THE definitive thing and or things Linux needs to do to 'make it', or 'compete'.

Crazy.

I once blatantly agreed with a windows fanboy friend of mine that if anyone wants to beat windows, then they need to make a better product!

That was before I learned that there were folks out there actually making a better product!!

hummingbird59
June 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
So, what this ZDNet article tells us is that we need to have some spam-sites that push Ubuntu higher on the "Linux" search. Ideally, you'd the main Linux.org site float to the top, but then nothing but top distro's floating up afterwards, letting folks see that Linux isn't just an .org group of folks working on a kernel and nothing more.

Bad Google, BAD! Go lie in the corner until you start posting Ubuntu in the top 10!

LOL

I checked this site a few hours ago and the server was being overwhelmed apparently: I couldn't access the new posts. They also moved the article and made it difficult to post. Wonder why?:-k