PDA

View Full Version : Philly: We need a location for free software day

lamalex
June 20th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Ok guys, time is getting short if we want a place in Philly so final decision: do we want a spot in Philly? If we do, we need to apply for a permit soon as applications are due 75 days before the event. If we go for Philly there is a $20 application fee plus $150 if we want electricity. Philly is not /required/ but I think it's the best choice. I'm fine with having it in the suburbs if we think enough people will come. There are some really nice parks around me I know we can use, we stil need permits but I doubt it takes 75 days. So, where do we want it, 4th and market in Philly? Or in a Philly suburb. We need a decision soon.

elizabeth
June 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
As I mentioned in IRC, money might be an issue, has anyone volunteered to pay for this or pitch in?

I haven't been very vocal with this particular decision because while I can usually donate time, money is a different story entirely, and I didn't feel I should support or decline any of the choices that require money unless I could help out with cash :|

ccw
June 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Ok guys, time is getting short if we want a place in Philly so final decision: do we want a spot in Philly? If we do, we need to apply for a permit soon as applications are due 75 days before the event. If we go for Philly there is a $20 application fee plus $150 if we want electricity. Philly is not /required/ but I think it's the best choice. I'm fine with having it in the suburbs if we think enough people will come. There are some really nice parks around me I know we can use, we stil need permits but I doubt it takes 75 days. So, where do we want it, 4th and market in Philly? Or in a Philly suburb. We need a decision soon.

What about one of the squares? Or Love Park?

We could also try to get PLUG or PACS in on it. Its Software freedom day, not ubuntu day.

lamalex
June 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
most of the "squares" are run by the fairmount park authority which is significantly more expensive to use. I think we've already begun working with pacs on some level, Jim: clarification of this? Working with PLUG has also been discussed, does anyone want to head up who to contact at plug? I guess all we need is a mailing list posting telling people we're doing it and see if any of them one to get involved. Does someone want to head this up? Perhaps someone who is more well known in PLUG (ahem: Lyz). We're still left with the issue of money, I know I have none to donate, at least not much, so do we want to find a free spot outside of the city or pay for one in the city.

jedijf
June 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Pacs Linux is doing something definitely for sfd and PACS wants to do a Main Presentation and more!

As more information develops regarding these events, I'll post it to the forum and mailing list.

elizabeth
June 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Working with PLUG has also been discussed, does anyone want to head up who to contact at plug? I guess all we need is a mailing list posting telling people we're doing it and see if any of them one to get involved. Does someone want to head this up? Perhaps someone who is more well known in PLUG (ahem: Lyz)..

Yep, I'm handling this.

I figured we'd find a place and then I'd discuss it with my fellow PLUG admins about getting some sort of official involvement and then I'll update the PLUG meeting schedule.

ccw
June 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Pacs Linux is doing something definitely for sfd and PACS wants to do a Main Presentation and more!

As more information develops regarding these events, I'll post it to the forum and mailing list.

Looks like they'll be at Upper Moreland Middle School
http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/northamerica/PA/pacslinux

ccw
June 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
most of the "squares" are run by the fairmount park authority which is significantly more expensive to use. I think we've already begun working with pacs on some level, Jim: clarification of this? Working with PLUG has also been discussed, does anyone want to head up who to contact at plug? I guess all we need is a mailing list posting telling people we're doing it and see if any of them one to get involved. Does someone want to head this up? Perhaps someone who is more well known in PLUG (ahem: Lyz). We're still left with the issue of money, I know I have none to donate, at least not much, so do we want to find a free spot outside of the city or pay for one in the city.

Yeah, I'm looking at the permits form from Fairmont Park. "Events of 50 people or more must secure a permit to ensure access to the space." Does that mean a handful of us with a demonstration table handing out CDs to passerbys can get away without a permit?

If not the lowest price point is for a event of 50-150 people:
$20 application + $100 rental + 250 security deposit.
Ouch.

lamalex
June 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM
If not the lowest price point is for a event of 50-150 people:
$20 application + $100 rental + 250 security deposit.
Ouch.

exactly why we chose 4th and market (where the liberty bell is). It's not run by the Fairmount park authority so it's much cheaper. I'd also like to think we'd have 50+ people there ;)

ccw
June 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Well, I'd really like to help plan this thing but I'm going to disappear for a few weeks (Its a good thing :)). If I come back and the location requires a fee, I'd be willing to pitch in $10-20.

jedijf
June 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Maybe the LoCo should think about combining bbq/sfd/picnic into one big event for sfd, at a state park near the edges of the philly region to try to draw other regions, like lehigh valley and central, and send out the idea to all the lugs in those areas?

French creek state park or something similar.

We may be too young as an group, to pull off the big independence mall thing this year; but something I think that we should eventually do!

Or maybe a park near PACS if they can pull together their end of the whole day event with the main speaker from 12 noon to 1 PM and then promote the picnic/bbq for the rest of the afternoon/evening.

lamalex
June 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Maybe the LoCo should think about combining bbq/sfd/picnic into one big event for sfd, at a state park near the edges of the philly region to try to draw other regions, like lehigh valley and central, and send out the idea to all the lugs in those areas?

French creek state park or something similar.

We may be too young as an group, to pull off the big independence mall thing this year; but something I think that we should eventually do!

Or maybe a park near PACS if they can pull together their end of the whole day event with the main speaker from 12 noon to 1 PM and then promote the picnic/bbq for the rest of the afternoon/evening.

this might be a good idea. I'm not sure combining with PACS will work so well for philly, pacs is pretty far from philly (and I refuse to drive there unless it's life or death, god that stupid turnpike gives me nightmares). PACS and Philly might be seperate which is not a bad thing at all, it just spreads out team members a bit more, which makes me lean towards finding a free less central location for Philly. There is a park very close to the Malvern train station with bbq pits we could use to cook, easily accessible from philadelphia as well as driving. Anyone else have a good park near their house that is close to a train station so that it's easily accessible from philly?

elizabeth
June 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
this might be a good idea. I'm not sure combining with PACS will work so well for philly, pacs is pretty far from philly

Perhaps not for Philly itself, but it would work out great for the Montgomery County Chapter of PLUG (http://www.phillylinux.org/montco.html) (which is the one I run). Jim - I think MontcoPLUG working with PACS would be a great idea. I think you're right about the maturity of our group, and joining forces with other groups is healthy anyway.

and I refuse to drive there unless it's life or death, god that stupid turnpike gives me nightmares

Now you know how I feel about driving in Philadelphia :P

I like turnpikes.

There is a park very close to the Malvern train station with bbq pits we could use to cook, easily accessible from philadelphia as well as driving.

Good for PLUG West (http://www.phillylinux.org/west.html) too (which has monthly meetings at Unisys in Malvern)