View Full Version : Unhappy Gentoo User

krazwerk
July 10th, 2005, 04:14 PM

krazwerk
July 10th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Seth
July 10th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I almost forgot one more thing:

I would like to contribute to a distro. Gentoo seemed a bit overwhelming for me (I've only been using Linux for a few months now). I'm a Computer Engineering student so I would like to be able to apply my knowledge to something that will benefit others.
I think Ubuntu would be your dream. You get easy updates through synaptic (without the compiling of emerge), and it's easy to get involved at every level. You can learn how to make backports for Ubuntu in an afternoon with little difficulty, or visit the IRC room and give end-user support. Then of course the forums here have a vibrant community ready to help you out with any problems you may face.

If you haven't tried a Debian child distribution before, Ubuntu will wow you :)

krazwerk
July 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Wow! I wasn't expecting such a speedy Sunday morning reply. :)

I have a friend who is trying to convert me to Ubuntu... he says it's the best distro he's ever used.

The thing that draws me to Ubuntu so much is the idea that it's a Linux distrobution "for everyone". I like the idea of making Linux a little more user-friendly. Gentoo people seem to think that the more archaic the distro is the better.

Seth
July 10th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Wow! I wasn't expecting such a speedy Sunday morning reply. :)

I have a friend who is trying to convert me to Ubuntu... he says it's the best distro he's ever used.

The thing that draws me to Ubuntu so much is the idea that it's a Linux distrobution "for everyone". I like the idea of making Linux a little more user-friendly. Gentoo people seem to think that the more archaic the distro is the better.
Ubuntu has the best user support of any distro I've ever used. Although paid support is available, there are so many avenues to get speedy free support that a basic user might not ever need to think about it. From IRC to the forums, there are tons of people willing to help out.

Ubuntu is the best distro I've ever used, too; I've used SuSE and Fedora and Red Hat and Mandrake and then there was that short stint with a free Linspire disc...

Leif
July 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I like both ubuntu and gentoo, have a machine with each of them. I like being able to fiddle around with gentoo. But ultimately, I don't find the little increase in speed to be worth the hassle, and the long compiles. I think you'll like ubuntu - equally good package management (even better in my experience so far, as I've seen messed up ebuilds, but so far apt is rock-solid), more of a focus on ease of use, relatively bleeding edge, without being experimental.

At the end of the day one distro is much like another, but ubuntu just seems a little easier.

ssck
July 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Hello Ubuntu friends,

I'm currently using Gentoo Linux on my desktop computer but am unhappy with its functionality and stability. It seems as though whenever I'm on my computer I have to be fixing/updating/adding/configuring something. Since I will be going back to University in September I would like a Linux distro that I can count on.

Gentoo Linux seems to be too much of a hobbyist's distro for me. I enjoy the ease of portage but do you really need a new version of Apache every week? :)

To make a long story short, I was wondering if Ubuntu is for me. I will be using my computer as a web server, FTP server, music database, DVD burning, DVD playing... pretty much as my home base for files.

Thanks for your guidance!

Daniel Krasznai

u can try out ubuntu ... i have been using it since may this year on my laptop and has been pretty reliable thus far.

jiyuu0
July 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM
To make a long story short, I was wondering if Ubuntu is for me. I will be using my computer as a web server, FTP server, music database, DVD burning, DVD playing... pretty much as my home base for files.

sure ubuntu is for you :-) i think what you asked for is pretty covered in ubuntuguide.org

twowheeler
July 10th, 2005, 06:18 PM
yeah, me too. I have not made a total break yet, but I am thinking that I will soon. I currently have two hard disks, one gentoo and one ubuntu. I haven't found anything that gentoo can do that ubuntu can't. All I have to do is convince my users. :smile:

krazwerk
July 10th, 2005, 10:42 PM
yeah, me too. I have not made a total break yet, but I am thinking that I will soon. I currently have two hard disks, one gentoo and one ubuntu. I haven't found anything that gentoo can do that ubuntu can't. All I have to do is convince my users. :smile:
Hmmmm I guess I'll be switching to Ubuntu Linux! :)

I'm sure you will see me around these forums from now on!