PDA

View Full Version : would you buy 'Leopard' when it's out?

paullinux
June 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM
How many of you would actually put the money dow to buy the next Leopard version of OSX?

peterbrewer
June 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Being really silly here but still I woudn't by leopard cos I run ubuntu which is free :-)

karellen
June 19th, 2007, 10:31 PM
$129 seems not such a heftly price for leopard (everything points out that it will be a pretty damn good os)
if I'd own a mac, I'd buy it (maybe I will get myself a mac someday in the future :D)

loserboy
June 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
should have had a 3rd opton that says "I would be interested in buying it"

anyway, had I not found Ubuntu and if Leopard would run on a system tha I built then yea I would have prolly bought it

NeoLithium
June 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
If I could afford a Mac, I would. From what I've seen it looks like it will be outstanding, not to mention the price isn't ridiculously high for an OS that does require you to pay for it. Unlike some *cough*. Still, I do love my free Ubuntu.

karellen
June 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM
what I find really nice is the fact that leopard will cost aproximately 1/4 of vista's ultimate price and in the meantime being simply better

jrusso2
June 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
When they make a copy of Leopard for regular Intel PC I would consider buying it

Extreme Coder
June 19th, 2007, 11:44 PM
what I find really nice is the fact that leopard will cost aproximately 1/4 of vista's ultimate price and in the meantime being simply better
but the price of a Mac itself neutralizes that, by far! :P

slimdog360
June 20th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I want to get a mac at the end of the year, majorly because of leopard. After using linux I hate using OSs without virtual desktops.

karellen
June 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM
but the price of a Mac itself neutralizes that, by far! :P

I was talking about leopard, not mac. you know, not all who will buy a leopard will buy it installed on a brand new mac. most of them will just upgrade from tiger to leopard. and...a mac book with the below configuration:
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
costs $1299, which is just slightly more expensive than a laptopt with the same features. after all, mac books seems to me a good deal (compared to mac book pros which indeed are very pricey)

Adamant1988
June 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I was talking about leopard, not mac. you know, not all who will buy a leopard will buy it installed on a brand new mac. most of them will just upgrade from tiger to leopard. and...a mac book with the below configuration:
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
costs $1299, which is just slightly more expensive than a laptopt with the same features. after all, mac books seems to me a good deal (compared to mac book pros which indeed are very pricey)

The MacBook Pros are definitely pricey! Over a $700 increase in the price over the nearest MacBook and really the major changes are:

Nvidia graphics card.
Slightly faster processor
Backlit keyboard
larger screens
brushed aluminum/titanium bodies
LED screens

I'm sure there is more that I'm not aware of, but really, the price difference just isn't justifiable unless you're in a position where you NEED to be using a MacBook pro with the nvidia card. If you're in that position, I kind of doubt that the extra $700 is a problem anyway.

So, back to Leopard. Yes, I will buy it boxed up. I was going to wait and get it pre-installed on my MacBook, but then I was informed that there won't be a major upgrade to the MacBook line for leopard and that, really, the next several releases of OS X should function just fine on that laptop. So, I decided to just pay the difference because I'm not sure if waiting for a few months for it's release is worth it TO ME.

karellen
June 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
The MacBook Pros are definitely pricey! Over a $700 increase in the price over the nearest MacBook and really the major changes are:

Nvidia graphics card.
Slightly faster processor
Backlit keyboard
larger screens
brushed aluminum/titanium bodies
LED screens

I'm sure there is more that I'm not aware of, but really, the price difference just isn't justifiable unless you're in a position where you NEED to be using a MacBook pro with the nvidia card. If you're in that position, I kind of doubt that the extra $700 is a problem anyway.

So, back to Leopard. Yes, I will buy it boxed up. I was going to wait and get it pre-installed on my MacBook, but then I was informed that there won't be a major upgrade to the MacBook line for leopard and that, really, the next several releases of OS X should function just fine on that laptop. So, I decided to just pay the difference because I'm not sure if waiting for a few months for it's release is worth it TO ME.

:)...
about mac prices....one thing that really bothers me. I want to buy a laptop this year. and I started more and more to consider a mac. but you know what? the prices of macs here in Romania are simply outrageous high. and for no reason...
for example: this mac (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6524003/wo/Sf4HwcuumNz42TnuDbf1Rk09gkQ/1.?p=0) on the oficial apple store costs $1299 and here in my country, the exact same model costs guess how much: around $1735 (http://www.emag.ro/notebook/notebook-apple-macbook-white-core-2-duo-216ghz-1gb-120gb-tastatura-in-limba-romana--pz0etro)
:confused: I'm stunned. for this amount of money I could buy a mac book if I'd live in US....

RON (ROmanian leu) is the currency in Romania
1$ = 2.4 RON

if I'll have the money I'll probably order a mac online via apple store (it says free shipping anyway)

Extreme Coder
June 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I'd honestly buy a MacBook, if there was a version that was available with an ATI or nVidia. MacBook Pro is too much :/

ThinkBuntu
June 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I won't. Besides further Intel support, which might be nice for my MacBook, 10.5 really isn't offering much. The same goes for 10.4 which was pretty light.

the.dark.lord
June 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
How many of you would actually put the money dow to buy the next Leopard version of OSX?

Not me.

czechman86
June 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
150$ for leopard? i do not think so. my computer is old as is, and id rather save that money toward buying parts for the pc that im building. that 150 dollars could be put toward a screen or ram.

karellen
June 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM
150$ for leopard? i do not think so. my computer is old as is, and id rather save that money toward buying parts for the pc that im building. that 150 dollars could be put toward a screen or ram.

$129 (at leat this is the official price they've announced). and I think leopard it's not meant for old computers anyway...;)

czechman86
June 22nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
$129 (at leat this is the official price they've announced). and I think leopard it's not meant for old computers anyway...;)

thanks for the correction in price. when apple started to develop for the intel chip, they told all of us ppc users, that they would support us through leopard. this is something that i counted on, because i am a student and do not have extra money to upgrade. however, leopard will be difficult for me to run (i even have a fairly decent g4 ppc system), which almost leaves me feeling out in the cold, because once leopard is out, a lot of programs will upgrade to only 10.5 and greater requirements for installing. not all of them will of course, but a significant number will. that leaves me with a choice: do i upgrade for less than efficient speeds and better programs or do i keep my computer stuck in time at 10.4? i see myself sticking to 10.4, unless it is possible to control all of that 64 bit graphic jazz. all in all, i feel as though apple has shown the hand to ppc users by not keeping them fully in mind when developing this new os. i understand why, they have to compete with vista, stupid grass background and everything, but then at the same time, i feel like we are being pushed from the apple fold one os too soon.

karellen
June 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
thanks for the correction in price. when apple started to develop for the intel chip, they told all of us ppc users, that they would support us through leopard. this is something that i counted on, because i am a student and do not have extra money to upgrade. however, leopard will be difficult for me to run (i even have a fairly decent g4 ppc system), which almost leaves me feeling out in the cold, because once leopard is out, a lot of programs will upgrade to only 10.5 and greater requirements for installing. not all of them will of course, but a significant number will. that leaves me with a choice: do i upgrade for less than efficient speeds and better programs or do i keep my computer stuck in time at 10.4? i see myself sticking to 10.4, unless it is possible to control all of that 64 bit graphic jazz. all in all, i feel as though apple has shown the hand to ppc users by not keeping them fully in mind when developing this new os. i understand why, they have to compete with vista, stupid grass background and everything, but then at the same time, i feel like we are being pushed from the apple fold one os too soon.

I know what you mean. it's the same with windows xp user and vista. higher hardware demands, programs from xp that won't run on vista, drivers problems...
at least mac os x it will be cheaper

3rdalbum
June 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
I know what you mean. it's the same with windows xp user and vista. higher hardware demands, programs from xp that won't run on vista, drivers problems...
at least mac os x it will be cheaper

Not if you've got to buy a new computer, which is what the previous poster was talking about.

That whole merry-go-round was what got me using Ubuntu in the first place.

karellen
June 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Not if you've got to buy a new computer, which is what the previous poster was talking about.

That whole merry-go-round was what got me using Ubuntu in the first place.

why would I buy a new pc just to use an os when I already have one?

jgrabham
June 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
why would I buy a new pc just to use an os when I already have one?

You wouldn't you'd be buying a mac :]

Anyway - My Dad was thinking of getting the family a new computer/laptop. A new build or installing a different OS is out, because everything needs to work, nice one Dell, lost another sale, because you can't be bothered to release ubuntu in the UK, we may get a mac now.

karellen
June 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
You wouldn't you'd be buying a mac :]

Anyway - My Dad was thinking of getting the family a new computer/laptop. A new build or installing a different OS is out, because everything needs to work, nice one Dell, lost another sale, because you can't be bothered to release ubuntu in the UK, we may get a mac now.

nice. I could only dream of a mac :D

Chrisj303
June 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
I will get it for free from a torrent site initially, then buy it when it comes down in price.

Alfa989
June 23rd, 2007, 02:57 AM
nice. I could only dream of a mac :DWhat, do you live in the 3rd world or something?

Alfa989
June 23rd, 2007, 02:58 AM
I will get it for free from a torrent site initially, then buy it when it comes down in price.Dude, it's not gonna come down in price... And 89€ is quite good...

karellen
June 23rd, 2007, 07:28 AM
What, do you live in the 3rd world or something?

not quite, in fact my country (Romania) is a member of the UE, but right now I have others expenses (like moving to another city, rent there a flat together with my girlfriend, attend (another) university and stuff like that...) ok, I admit I was exaggerating a little, in the not-so-distant future I might buy a mac (instead of a "classic" laptopt as I intend to right now)

Alfa989
June 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
not quite, in fact my country (Romania) is a member of the UE, but right now I have others expenses (like moving to another city, rent there a flat together with my girlfriend, attend (another) university and stuff like that...) ok, I admit I was exaggerating a little, in the not-so-distant future I might buy a mac (instead of a "classic" laptopt as I intend to right now)
Do you live in Romania? I'm from Spain.

We all know how difficult is to take the wallet out of your pocket in times times of transition... :)

Chrisj303
June 24th, 2007, 01:54 AM

Get it from a torrent site then - Mac osx is just as 'free' as ubntu when you have a demonoid code

karellen
June 24th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Do you live in Romania? I'm from Spain.

We all know how difficult is to take the wallet out of your pocket in times times of transition... :)

;) yes, good point here....
:)

Get it from a torrent site then - Mac osx is just as 'free' as ubntu when you have a demonoid code
well...I'm not so much into these sort of things...:D

Ptero-4
June 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I'm gonna buy it for the old Mac.