PDA

View Full Version : KOffice, GNOME Office, and OpenOffice

ThinkBuntu
June 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
A few quick questions:

Do you prefer the office apps of KOffice, GNOME Office, or OpenOffice?
If MS Office compatibility were not an issue, would you be more likely to use Abiword or KOffice over OpenOffice?
Abiword, KWord, or OOo Writer?
Gnumeric, KSpread, or OOo Calc?
Have you tried all of them? If not, you should, and give your opinion again!

GNOME office doesn't include a presentation software yet, so I'll leave that out of this for the moment.

starcraft.man
June 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
A few quick questions:

Do you prefer the office apps of KOffice, GNOME Office, or OpenOffice? OpenOffice.
If MS Office compatibility were not an issue, would you be more likely to use Abiword or KOffice over OpenOffice? Again, OpenOffice.
Abiword, KWord, or OOo Writer? OOo Writer.
Gnumeric, KSpread, or OOo Calc? OOo Calc.

GNOME office doesn't include a presentation software yet, so I'll leave that out of this for the moment.

Filled out your questionnaire. I just really like open office. Shouldn't this be some sort of poll though?

Johnsie
June 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Abiword is my favourite. Unfortunately my employers use MS Office and I dont have admin rights to install software. Maybe it can be run off a flash drive though.

I think Open Office has come along way though and now seems a bit more professional than before.

ThinkBuntu
June 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Filled out your questionnaire. I just really like open office. Shouldn't this be some sort of poll though?
Eh. I'm not so hot on polls, especially since this has five questions.

GNOME Office
Yep
OOo writer, mostly for compatibility
Gnumeric
Yep!

starcraft.man
June 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Eh. I'm not so hot on polls, especially since this has five questions.

Ah, ok. I guess I can see that, there are enough polls around already...

Oh and caught ya editing :p.

I haven't tried them all yet, mostly I'm very happy with OO, it does everything I need. Only problem is my theme makes it very dark, but I have a semi fix for that. I will try to try them all when I get a moment.

peterbrewer
June 19th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Do you prefer the office apps of KOffice, GNOME Office, or OpenOffice? - KOffice
If MS Office compatibility were not an issue, would you be more likely to use Abiword or KOffice over OpenOffice? - KOffice
Abiword, KWord, or OOo Writer? - KWord
Gnumeric, KSpread, or OOo Calc? - KSpread
Have you tried all of them? If not, you should, and give your opinion again! - Yes

I prefer the KOffice suite just because Document navigation seems far easier.

LaRoza
June 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Abiword is my favourite. Unfortunately my employers use MS Office and I dont have admin rights to install software. Maybe it can be run off a flash drive though.

I think Open Office has come along way though and now seems a bit more professional than before.

You can get portable versions of OpenOffice and Abiword that run off a flash drive.

http://www.portableapps.com/

I use Opera, Firefox, OO, and Abiword, along with 40 other programs on my flash drive on the schools computers.

FuturePilot
June 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I prefer Open Office for all of them. The only one I haven't tried is Gnome Office, but from what I hear, is pretty far behind the others. KOffice is pretty good if you don't want Open Office.

ThinkBuntu
June 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I prefer Open Office for all of them. The only one I haven't tried is Gnome Office, but from what I hear, is pretty far behind the others. KOffice is pretty good if you don't want Open Office.
Actually, I've heard that for large spreadsheets, Gnumeric is much, much more efficient in both loading and manipulating them (accurately, of course). I haven't used either heavily enough to know for sure though. A report came out from Drexel a few years ago that Gnumeric's statistical output was accurate in many instances when Excel's wasn't.

Dragonbite
June 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
A few quick questions:

Do you prefer the office apps of KOffice, GNOME Office, or OpenOffice?
If MS Office compatibility were not an issue, would you be more likely to use Abiword or KOffice over OpenOffice?
Abiword, KWord, or OOo Writer?
Gnumeric, KSpread, or OOo Calc?
Have you tried all of them? If not, you should, and give your opinion again!

I haven't tried KOffice, but if it is anything as good as their PIM (being modular) then I suspect I would like it more than OpenOffice, though OpenOffice is more "complete".

Unfortunately OpenOffice doesn't run well on my old machine so I'm using Abiword and Gnumetric but as you stated, there are compatibility issues which I've run across already.