PDA

View Full Version : save net radio

fuscia
June 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
http://www.savenetradio.org/

from the site...

The future of Internet radio is in immediate danger. Royalty rates for webcasters have been drastically increased by a recent ruling and are due to go into effect on July 15 (retroactive to Jan 1, 2006!). If the increased rates remain unchanged, the majority of webcasters will go bankrupt and silent on this date. Internet radio needs your help! The Internet Radio Equality Act has recently been introduced in both the House (H.R. 2060) and Senate (S. 1353) to save the Internet radio industry. Please call your senators and your representative to ask them to co-sponsor the Internet Radio Equality Act.

Johnsie
June 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM
That would suck. I guess there will always be countries other than the US where people can broadcast from though

starcraft.man
June 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
You know I honestly can't believe the stupidity (idiocy, insanity and a whole bunch worse words come to mind) the RIAA does (like increasing rates for internet radio). They seem to be shooting themselves in every limb they own. Now I even heard (I think) that they want to raise rates for broadcasters as well (old radio) and break their long standing deal. Between that and the suing of kids and grandmothers for p2p they must be completely brainless (again insert worse word of choice).

Radio over the internet is the future, I don't listen to any regular radio anymore, I don't find it entertaining or match my music preference. If internet radio disappears I simply won't listen to any radio at all rather than support traditional radio. This really has to be defeated, and if we can one step more needs to be taken. Lets (I would help, but I'm Canadian, can't do anything about em up here) neuter the RIAA or if we can even dissolve them, they serve absolutely no ones interests, not the artists and not the consumers. They just sit around and think up stupid things to pass the time as far as I can see, and I don't think thats needed.

FuturePilot
June 19th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I've been following this for a while now. It was actually supposed to happen in back in May sometime, but got pushed back until July. I can't believe the things that the RIAA does. First they sue 12 year old kids, now they want to take away our radio.:evil:

fuscia
June 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
it's true, this is stupid. i've started buying cds again because of stuff i've heard on internet radio. this is worse than schlitz switching to rice.

Johnsie
June 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
you should get streamripper ;-)

bonzodog
June 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I know a few internet radio stations who are switching to EU servers. And there will be a lot more US run stations with EU servers; that is basically whats going to happen. There are even hosters in Europe who are openly advertising hosting for Internet Radio.

fuscia
June 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
you should get streamripper ;-)

i have it and use it frequently.

chio
June 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I know a few internet radio stations who are switching to EU servers. And there will be a lot more US run stations with EU servers; that is basically whats going to happen. There are even hosters in Europe who are openly advertising hosting for Internet Radio.

That's not going to work from the UK, where the MCPS/PRS and PPL are going as far as to block internet broadcasters from sending their streams out of the country! I've never really rated internet radio compared to broadcast radio myself, though. Every station I've been told about has turned out to be either just an automated jukebox or some kids in their back bedroom mumbling into a tinny cheap mic and playing trance. Can anyone prove me wrong and tell me a quality internet radio station with live presentation and programming?

ButteBlues
June 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
That's not going to work from the UK, where the MCPS/PRS and PPL are going as far as to block internet broadcasters from sending their streams out of the country! I've never really rated internet radio compared to broadcast radio myself, though. Every station I've been told about has turned out to be either just an automated jukebox or some kids in their back bedroom mumbling into a tinny cheap mic and playing trance. Can anyone prove me wrong and tell me a quality internet radio station with live presentation and programming?
KUER, based out of Utah, is an NPR-affiliated station that hosts talk shows during the day, and has Jazz after-hours.

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2007, 12:28 AM
In protest of this many internet radio stations are going silent on June 26
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9732642-7.html

fuscia
June 26th, 2007, 06:26 AM
In protest of this many internet radio stations are going silent on June 26
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9732642-7.html

seems pointless. desperate, maybe.