PDA

View Full Version : New to Ubuntu and Linux...Installing WoW

testament0221
June 19th, 2007, 08:10 AM
So I'm sure you guy's have heard many stories about people switching from Windows to Linux. Just assume that most of the reasons previous posters have stated apply to me as well.

So now that that's out of the way, I have a quick question. I was reading the Howto Install WoW for Ubuntu guide, located here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

As my topic states, I am new to linux. I very used to Windows, and how you install apps. My particular problem is where it states to create a new directory, and copy the contents of my WoW CD's into it, then run the WINE apt-get command. So, I may be overthinking this or whatever...but going off of those instructions, this is what I THINK I should do:

Click Places
Click Homes
Create a new folder (directory), which I named World of Warcraft
I am then going to insert each one of my WoW CD's, explore them, copy ALL of there contents, then paste them into my new World of Warcraft directory
Once this is done, I run the WINE apt-get command, inserting the directory of /home/myname/World of Warcraft
This should prompt wine to install World of Warcraft

So does that sound correct? Also, will I encounter any CD requests during installation. And finally, what about Burning Crusade? Do I add the Burning Crusade file contents to my World of Warcraft directory at the same time that I add the original game to it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

sad_iq
June 19th, 2007, 08:24 AM
After you copy the content of all your cd's you open a terminal and do
cd /home/your_user_name/World of Warcraft (replace your_user_name with the appropriate name and World of Warcraft with the name of the directory were you copied the content of all your cd's)
then type
wine Installer.exe It should install now!!!

testament0221
June 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM
cool...so do I need to copy the Burning Crusades in there as well? Can I install WoW AND Burning Crusade with one install? Thanks.

testament0221
June 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
So I'm in the process of installing World of Warcraft. I copied the ORIGINAL four CD's and ran wine to install them. However I am confused about installing Burning Crusade. Do I create a new directory for Burning Crusade, and run Wine to install it? Or do I copy the CD's into the SAME folder that I copied my original CD's in? Also, when I actually install Burning Crusade, and it asks me where I want to install it, do I install burning crusade in the World of Warcraft folder?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Syke
June 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Just copy all the files into any temporary folder on your hard drive, and run the installer. Let it install to the same World of Warcraft folder.

After it's done installing, you can delete the files you copied from the CD. They're not used after the install completes.

RojoGrande
June 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
You will need to copy and install Burning Crusade seperately. I just installed Ubuntu last week and I just spent the whole weekend getting WoW working. Alot of that time was spent downloading all the patches though which will take some time if you don't already have them. I also ran into several other small issues which took time and research to resolve, but now that it's running, it looks good.

Now if I can just figure out how to get my sound working and get my in game settings to save, I'll be good to go.

hikaricore
June 22nd, 2007, 04:49 AM