PDA

View Full Version : how do you organize your backups?

sapo
July 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM
i ve decided to "clean up" my HD today.. and man... i spent a couple of hours deleting, renaming, organizing folders and a lot of stuff.. but the main problem is:

I work with php so i have a lot of websites, scripts, etc, etc...

And i m some kind of lazy.. so.. to backup my data i just copy the folders to another partition and when i have a lot of files i burn in a cd.. but thats the problem...

Sometimes somebody who i ve coded a website 6 months ago.. ask me to add some features or to modify some stuff.. and sometimes they arent using and dont have the code anymore.. so i have to search in my backups... ](*,)

And sometimes i need to take a look in a function or page that was working 2 months ago and after some changes it doesnt work anymore.. so.. i m always lost inside my backups...

how do you guys organize your data? i m not accustomed to write changelogs or stuff like that... and organizing using date is confusing too ](*,)

zeroK
July 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I have a server which I use for subversion'ing all the coding I do and the rest I sync using unison. Old data then leaves my laptop completely and is stored on a separated archieve hd :) Not perfect, but it's enough for what I need :)