PDA

View Full Version : Before the infamous"Dell+Ubuntu Deal" 2 yrs before!there was Japan Dell+Miracle Linux

RAV TUX
June 19th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Where is Japan Dell+Miracle Linux now?

What did this do for the Linux world?

How has this effected Dell & Linux in the Asian market?

How did this effect the Dell+Ubuntu deal 2 years later?

Furthermore what have we(the Linux Community) learned from the Japan Dell+Miracle Linux deal 2 years later?

Yes, obviously there are major differences between the Dell+Ubuntu Deal and the Japan Dell+Miracle Linux Deal, but in a larger more esoteric sense what are your thoughts on the dichotomy of these "deals" in the Linux world?

reference:

News Release

November 24, 2005
Dell Japan Inc.
MIRACLE LINUX CORPORATION
Dell and MIRACLE LINUX cooperate for providing Linux Solutions
Dell's PowerEdge will support MIRACLE LINUX V4.0 as well as other software

Dell Japan Inc. (Headquarter: Saiwai-ku, Kawasaki-shi, President: Hiroshi Hamada, hereinafter referred to as Dell) and MIRACLE LINUX CORPORATION (Headquarter: Higashishimbashi, Minato-ku, President: Takeshi Sato, hereinafter referred to as MIRACLE LINUX), today announced their cooperation to provide Linux solutions portfolio, a combination of Dell's high-performance server product, PowerEdgeTM series and robust Linux server operating system, MIRACLE LINUX V4.0 - Asianux Inside (hereinafter referred to as MIRACLE LINUX V4.0) and MIRACLE LINUX V3.0 - Asianux Inside (hereinafter referred to as MIRACLE LINUX V3.0) as well as various software including Open Source Software.
By this cooperation, Dell and MIRACLE LINUX attempt to expand their business in the Linux market with MIRACLE LINUX V4.0 or MIRACLE LINUX V3.0 running on the PowerEdge server.
This cooperation comes from Dell's program, "Dell ISV Arena" launched in August, 2005. "Dell ISV Arena" is a program for supporting ISV partners which it jointly develops solutions models combining ISV partner's packages and Dell's server products for driving new customer businesses. Dell will provide to the certified ISV partners of this program, a "Marketing/Promotion Support" for expanding solutions' models through Dell's web contents or sales representatives and a "Hardware Support" providing validation environment for hardware and offering hardware for evaluation special price.
In the future, Dell will provide evaluation machine to MIRACLE LINUX for evaluating the latest Linux operating system, MIRACLE LINUX V4.0's performance on the PowerEdge server, and support end users or system integrators for building systems by disclosing MIRACLE LINUX V4.0 based technical information through sequential performance evaluation of other new products.
Additionally, Dell will cooperate with UNIADEX Ltd. (Headquarter: Toyosu, Koto-ku, President: Tsutomu Takahashi, hereinafter referred to as UNIADEX). UNIADEX Ltd. will not only support MIRACLE LINUX V4.0 and Dell's enterprise products such as PowerEdge server, PowerVault and Dell|EMC storage, but will offer software support for MIRACLE LINUX V4.0 as fare-paying services (Service name: Enterprise Support for MIRACLE LINUX).
By cooperating throughout these products and services, the 3 companies will jointly provide solutions portfolio, a combination of MIRACLE LINUX V4.0 running on the PowerEdge server, file server, data protection, system operation management, and other various software, such as database products. Dell's Technology Consulting group, "Dell Professional Service (DPS)" will become a customer service representative and provide solutions including consultation of hardware, operating systems and application software.
According to this cooperation, Dell will provide 3 kinds of solutions portfolio mentioned below.
Mission-Critical solutions (NEC CLUSTERPRO and database)
File server (Samba)
Inventory management and Patch applied solutions (Net-ADM + Qloc)The 3 companies will also improve portfolio such as database integration, security enhancement, and application server to promote enterprise business in the Linux market taking advantage of Dell's direct sales model.
Endorsement of UNIADEX Ltd.
UNIADEX would like to give a warm welcome to the announcement of Dell and MIRACLE LINUX's cooperation for Linux solutions.
We would like to provide this enterprise server system consisting of PowerEdge server, DELL|EMC storage and MIRACLE LINUX through our industry proven system services and support services as a one-stop solutions and drive Dell and MIRACLE LINUX's cooperation.

UNIADEX Ltd.
Managing Director, Katsumasa Hagita

MIRACLE LINUX is driving Asianux® project for Asian common Linux's development with China's Red Flag Software and Korea's Haansoft. In addition, as a Linux server related products and services provider, MIRACLE LINUX will widely deploy businesses such as development and sales of enterprise Linux server OS "MIRACLE LINUX - Asianux Inside" which possesses superior quality, reliability, stability, scalability and security, as well as delivering support services such as Linux related consulting, education and maintenance.
* With a concept of "Common, Collaboration and Contribution", "Asianux®" is a software development project jointly operated by MIRACLE LINUX, China's Red Flag Software Co.,Ltd. and South Korea's HAANSOFT, INC. "Asianux®" also offers to Asian countries high reliable enterprise Linux distributions that are optimized for Asian markets. In Japan it is distributed as "MIRACLE LINUX - Asianux Inside".
Further Information
- Dell's Press Room: http://www.dell.com/jp/press/

Please forward all enquiries about this press release to:
MIRACLE LINUX CORPORATION
Marketing Department
Public Relations
Miho Ishiwatari
Email: mktg@miraclelinux.com
http://www.miraclelinux.com/english/press/2005/112401.html

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/7073/thcatfromaliciainwondernp3.gif

RAV TUX
June 19th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Interesting with all the buzz in the not too distant past about the Dell+Ubuntu Deal, I would have expected more response.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2330/thcatfromaliciainwonderhd0.gif

Extreme Coder
June 20th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Funny, I just read about this in Wikipedia.

I think we've never heard of this since it wasn't aimed at Desktop users.

Rebelde
June 28th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Well Rav Tux, I am living four years in Japan. I didn't see anything related to Linux here, at least nothing you can actually call noticeable. The people here is not very much into it, you know, they are completely happy if their machines work well and if not they'll buy a new one. Further, MAC has a really huge market here because of many reasons: stability, nice-look, lot of gadgets, etc. And you know how these japs love the gadgets, they have the newest things here!!! I can only talk about what I saw, though, but at university, students, and of course professors, have all MACs. Many have the MS version you know and the newer as well. I think, if you are not really working with computers or if you don't look for info yourself you just end up missing everything. Japan is an island (in every sense) so maybe the best is not to be too excited about any deal because here you can't feel it. Mac and MS have all the share.
I was looking for a Dell with Ubuntu distro, by the way. I cannot find it here and I'm afraid i will not very soon although they 'said' there is a deal.

We still have a long way to go.

karellen
June 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I've never heard of this deal until I saw this post

smoker
June 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Interesting with all the buzz in the not too distant past about the Dell+Ubuntu Deal, I would have expected more response.

hi, i tried to find some info about this, it seems it is aimed more at the server market, though can be used on standalone machines. the catch though is, you have to pay for a licence to keep it updated! i think maybe that, plus, it is not a univerally known distro like ubuntu, means it would be unfair to compare the dell-ubuntu, dell-miraclelinux deals.

there are some links below anyone interested might check:
http://www.miraclelinux.com/english/
http://www.miraclelinux.com/english/mlupdater/
http://www.miraclelinux.com/english/mlupdater/mlupdater.html

License
A license is required in order to use mlupdater.
When mlupdater is installed, you are provided with 90 days of trial period for using mlupdater. Please note that the license will be expired after the period.
MLUpdater license password will be issued from NEC. Please contact NEC for details how to get your license.
There are two kinds of licenses are available, you should choose one which is more appropriate for the use of your servers.

koenn
June 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=RAV TUX;2876558]Interesting with all the buzz in the not too distant past about the Dell+Ubuntu Deal, I would have expected more response./QUOTE]
Did you actually read the article you're quoting?
It's about a deal "to provide Linux solutions portfolio, a combination of Dell's high-performance server product, PowerEdgeTM series and robust Linux server operating system, .." and clearly oriented towards professional enterprise use : re. "mission-critical", "system integrators", "Enterprise Support", ...

There's also nothing new about this : (even 2 yrs ago) Dell, HP, ... had been offering servers with Linux already for ages.

Why should this, in any way, tell us something about the Dell - Ubuntu deal, which was quite unprecedented : a desktop distro, offered on desktops and laptops, marketed towards home users ?

dca
June 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Indeed, HP supports Debian on their servers. Dell installs SLES & RedHat on their servers. I think it's based on Japan not wanting to pay support (in the enterprise) to someone on the other side of the world... Whether it be MS, which I would think the Japanese are more in tune to save their yen and go open source and also support their enterprise in-house...??? I would think it easy for Dell to install an open source distro native to Japan for the support reason.

The world as a whole is not much different than the US aside. Everyone, everywhere uses what works for them. The price difference isn't noticable because it's subsidized (MS OS license) into the price of a new computer. The enterprise is where different ideas and why(s) can be placed on a macro scale. Most of the articles you find are relative to business users, not the everyday average student or housewife.

MS on the other hand does not subsidize on the server end. You pay $10k for a server, then throw an extra $4k for an OS? I don't think so... That's why everyday, MS looses more and more customers in the SMB market.

RAV TUX
June 29th, 2007, 02:17 AM
[quote=RAV TUX;2876558]Interesting with all the buzz in the not too distant past about the Dell+Ubuntu Deal, I would have expected more response./QUOTE]
Did you actually read the article you're quoting?
It's about a deal "to provide Linux solutions portfolio, a combination of Dell's high-performance server product, PowerEdgeTM series and robust Linux server operating system, .." and clearly oriented towards professional enterprise use : re. "mission-critical", "system integrators", "Enterprise Support", ...

There's also nothing new about this : (even 2 yrs ago) Dell, HP, ... had been offering servers with Linux already for ages.

Why should this, in any way, tell us something about the Dell - Ubuntu deal, which was quite unprecedented : a desktop distro, offered on desktops and laptops, marketed towards home users ?Did you not read my post?

I acknowledged this in my initial post:

Yes, obviously there are major differences between the Dell+Ubuntu Deal and the Japan Dell+Miracle Linux Deal, but in a larger more esoteric sense what are your thoughts on the dichotomy of these "deals" in the Linux world?

reference:

http://www.miraclelinux.com/english/press/2005/112401.html

koenn
June 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Did you not read my post?
I acknowledged this in my initial post:
yes, i read your post, and yes, I saw the disclaimer ("obviously there are major differences between the Dell+Ubuntu Deal and the Japan Dell+Miracle Linux Deal, but ..."), and I stand by my point that the deals you refer to have nothing in common :
Why should yet another (see also Dell/RedHat, HP, ...) enterprise oriented deal to sell high-end servers with Linux and vendor support, have any bearing on the quite unique Dell - Ubuntu deal, a community supported desktop distro, offered on desktops and laptops, marketed towards home users ?

Where is that dichotomy you speak of ?

KiwiNZ
June 30th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Thread closed by request of the starter