PDA

View Full Version : Open source internet

Puppy fam
June 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM
So what is wrong with the idea that an open source group providing some sort of internet connection (like DSL, or Cable)? They would not be taking any (or much) money for profit, so it would be much more cheap then other companies.

I know there are has to be problems with the idea, so please tell me what they are. Or if you like the idea say so!

blah blah blah
June 18th, 2007, 10:51 PM
It cost a lot of money. It would be free not open source.

Puppy fam
June 18th, 2007, 11:01 PM
It cost a lot of money. It would be free not open source.

True. I was thinking more that it would cost some money a month (like $5). So it would not be open source, but they would be a non profit organization.

TBOL3
June 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I always thought a good idea (although I've never gotten around to doing anything about it) was getting/making a bunch of wireless routers. Everyone OWNS his own router. Each router speaks to the one that another person owns, each "jump" getting closer to it's final destination. And also, each router has a static IP address type of thing. That way, anyone who wants can have his own 'web page'. Provided by his own computer. (Although I haven't thought of a way to work out domain names). It wouldn't be part of the current internet (but someone who wanted to could provide access through his connection). But there are several big problems. 1. Security, but it is possible to solve this problem with encryption keys. 2. Router protocol's, this is a simple matter, but it needs to be done none-the-less. 3. Actually making the routers. I was thinking of having the actual diagrams (or whatever they're called) either PD, or CC-by-sa(at the worst) that way any company or EXTREAMLY techy person could make it. 4. Why would anyone want to join this network, it's not even really part of the 'internet'. 5. If you're neighbors don't have a routers(by neighbors I mean anyone within the routers signal) you would either need to get your neighbors to buy one, or buy one yourself and convince one of them to let it on their roof, creating a chain to the network. 6. Patents, no we wouldn't use them to say "You can only do this with our stuff". But we will need them to make sure that another company won't sue us for using "They're work". 7. How are we going to get these "IP address's" to work, I was thinking it could be biased variase lines of longitude ant latitude.

But if we could overcome the problems, this would be a nice, 'main building' free system.

Tomosaur
June 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The problem is that setting one up would take a lot of capital, and there'd be no returns, so nobody would do it :/

ssam
June 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM
the cheapness of ISPs comes mostly from their size, and poor technical support.

there are ISP that support opensource

i switched from tiscali (which is quite cheap) to UKFSN (http://www.ukfsn.org/) recently. I pay about 30% more but i have had a lot less trouble (i could rant for hours).

UKFSN fund opensource work with their profits http://www.ukfsn.org/profits.html (they currently fund http://andrewprice.me.uk/ )