PDA

View Full Version : Using a USB drive with XBox 360

lduperval
June 18th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Hi,

I want to use a USB thumb drive with a new XBox 360 I just received. I just want to save user profiles, I'm not into all the multimedia stuff. I just want to keep the scores and so one for now.

Is this feasible? If so, how?

Thanks,

L

brim4brim
June 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM
The Xbox360 does not write to thumb drives or any external drives AFAIK. It only reads them.

You'll need to purchase either a memory card or Xbox360 HDD.

Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that this is case as with my external HDD, I've never had the option to save to it, only recognises the 360's drive.

lduperval
June 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Ok, thanks, that's what I thought. I see that there is a 512MB module available for around $60 CDN. Seems expensive, but anyway.

Do you know if that's enough to store five player profiles? So far, we only have a couple of games. Of the five profiles, I suspect only one (my son's) will have a lot of activity on it. The other profiles (my daughters', my wife's, and mine) will be much less active.

I'm not really interested in plunking down the $200+ for the HDD yet.

L

brim4brim
June 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM
The HDD is a rip off but better value for money overall and you'll need the space especially if using Xbox Live.

Saves don't hold that much and 512MB would probably be enough for those profiles. I'm sure the information is available on Ms website somewhere. I'm in work now so can't check for you. If I remember correctly, games saves and profiles never really go over about 300KB each.